THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    1,000 lb hogzilla killed with a 500 s&w?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1,000 lb hogzilla killed with a 500 s&w?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
is this a 500 s&w???

i only see the 460 xvr in this configuration and it says a 50 cal. maybe a discontinued version.

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - Hogzilla is being made into a horror movie. But the sequel may be even bigger: Meet Monster Pig. An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog his father says weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9-feet-4 from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires.
If the claims are accurate, Jamison Stone's trophy boar would be bigger than Hogzilla, the famed wild hog that grew to seemingly mythical proportions after being killed in south Georgia in 2004.

Hogzilla originally was thought to weigh 1,000 pounds and measure 12 feet in length. National Geographic experts who unearthed its remains believe the animal actually weighed about 800 pounds and was 8 feet long.

Regardless of the comparison, Jamison is reveling in the attention over his pig, which has a Web site put up by his father—http://www.monsterpig.com —that is generating Internet buzz.

"It feels really good," Jamison, of Pickensville, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."

Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Hogzilla II. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50- caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

Through it all there was the fear that the animal would turn and charge them, as wild boars have a reputation of doing.

"I was a little bit scared, a little bit excited," said Jamison, who just finished the sixth grade on the honor roll at Christian Heritage Academy, a small, private school.

His father said that, just to be extra safe, he and the guides had high-powered rifles aimed and ready to fire in case the beast with 5- inch tusks decided to charge.

With the pig finally dead in a creek bed on the 2,500-acre Lost Creek Plantation, a commercial hunting preserve in Delta, trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods.

It was hauled on a truck to the Clay County Farmers Exchange in Lineville, where Jeff Kinder said they used his scale, which was recently calibrated, to weigh the hog.

Kinder, who didn't witness the weigh-in, said he was baffled to hear the reported weight of 1,051 pounds because his scale—an old, manual style with sliding weights—only measures to the nearest 10.

"I didn't quite understand that," he said.

Mike Stone said the scale balanced one notch past the 1,050-pound mark, and he thought it meant a weight of 1,051 pounds.

"It probably weighed 1,060 pounds. We were just afraid to change it once the story was out," he said.

The hog's head is now being mounted on an extra-large foam form by Jerry Cunningham of Jerry's Taxidermy in Oxford. Cunningham said the animal measured 54 inches around the head, 74 inches around the shoulders and 11 inches from the eyes to the end of its snout.

"It's huge," he said. "It's just the biggest thing I've ever seen."

Mike Stone is having sausage made from the rest of the animal. "We'll probably get 500 to 700 pounds," he said.

Jamison, meanwhile, has been offered a small part in "The Legend of Hogzilla," a small-time horror flick based on the tale of the Georgia boar. The movie is holding casting calls with plans to begin filming in Georgia.

Jamison is enjoying the newfound celebrity generated by the hog hunt, but he said he prefers hunting pheasants to monster pigs.

"They are a little less dangerous."

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
While it is a big hog, I doubt it weighs 1,000lbs

Look how far back the people/the kid is standing back. Read the story.... 8 shots with a .500 s&w with a 3 hour chase.

Give me a break, I know some stories are stretched a little bit but come on!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
they are saying 1060 lbs...anyway that is one brave kid. good on him!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boom stick

It's not a discontinued version that I'm aware of and there are still a few to be found on GB. There were quite a few of them made. The noticable difference between the two calibers is the unfluted cylinder on the S&W 500.

What WAS made in a limited run was the 6 1/2" model sold by Lew Horton. There were only 500 of them produced. Last I heard they were trying to put together another run of them.

Another variation you may never see too many of is the 10 1/2" model I have shown with the black frame and unfluted cylinder, if another one even exist. The 10 1/2" model offered by the S&W PC shop has a fluted cylinder and an all silver finish. Baumlers called my dealer and asked if he wanted it since it was odd, I'm glad he did! I have yet to see another one so this one remains unfired. I also have the 2 3/4" ES Alaskan Survival model which is just plain nasty to shoot.

The picture of the hog hasn't changed but I've read conflicting stories so I won't comment on it's authenticity. I'm sure the truth will come out in good time.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
The story says they're going to have it taxidermied so I guess some experts will get to see the real animal some day.

Eitherway, good on the boy for killing it and for being brave enough to chase it down with a handgun. That is an experience he'll probably cherish for the rest of his life and its probably made a life long hunter out of him. I applaud him and hope he shoots a couple more big'uns.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hog's head is now being mounted on an extra-large foam form by Jerry Cunningham of Jerry's Taxidermy in Oxford. Cunningham said the animal measured 54 inches around the head, 74 inches around the shoulders and 11 inches from the eyes to the end of its snout.
So, if the distance from the eyes (somewhere under the forward-folded ears?) to the snout is eleven inches then the young man in the photo is maybe ten inches shoulder to shoulder, and his pistol can't be much larger than a six inch K-frame. It's a shame they posed this photo cheechako-style; even if his dad and the guide had the courage to show the pig's real size this is a fine trophy.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Looks too domestic to me. It is a huge pig no matter how you slice it, but come on........

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
quote:
So, if the distance from the eyes (somewhere under the forward-folded ears?) to the snout is eleven inches then the young man in the photo is maybe ten inches shoulder to shoulder, and his pistol can't be much larger than a six inch K-frame. It's a shame they posed this photo cheechako-style; even if his dad and the guide had the courage to show the pig's real size this is a fine trophy.

How about this picture

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

How about this picture
It's better - you'll see the boy is a lot bigger in relation to his trophy - but still the shadow from the flash suggests a several foot gap between the pig and the guide. This is clearly a huge pig so why not take a picture with the boy standing next to the pig with his hand on it so we'd have a much better sense of its size? Posing a photo this way can make a steenbok look like a whitetail, but it adds nothing to the kill and does nothing for the credibility of the photographer.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nordseta -- exactly my sentiments. It's clearly huge, so why not pose normally with it to put things into perspective?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50- caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

His father said that, just to be extra safe, he and the guides had high-powered rifles aimed and ready to fire in case the beast with 5- inch tusks decided to charge.

Does anyone else see something wrong with this? I'm all for hunting and all that, but come on. IMO, if you hunt you should know the limitations of your shooting ability and the capability of your firearm and caliber.

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted Hide Post
yeah, the first pix shown here was doctored. The original and un-edited photo.....if I could find it again, shows a much more realistic pig.

Damned shame the kid could not shoot worth beans to put that critter down humanely.

Jeff

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KennethI:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50- caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

Does anyone else see something wrong with this? I'm all for hunting and all that, but come on. IMO, if you hunt you should know the limitations of your shooting ability and the capability of your firearm and caliber.

I don't think it was a caliber problem, but more of a shooter problem.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There are a number of things wrong here, not the least of which is the shooter's ability (look at the bullet holes in the guts) and the doctored picture.

Plus, we all know that a truly wild hog -- no matter its diet -- could never attain a weight anywhere near 1000 pounds.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add: check the ears and tail. This hog spent the majority of its life in the feed trough in someone's pig pen before being dropped off a day or two before the "hunt".

Distortion and doctoring and all "facts" aside, it still doesn't weigh anything near 1000 pounds.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's FRED !! A pet pig !!thumbdown

one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally think the whole thing gives hunters a bad name. 8 shots and a three hour tracking job is far from a humane kill. Actually 9 shots as it had a finishing shot. I don't care how big the pig was the whole story stinks to me. There is nothing for this boy or his Dad to be proud of.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I cant believe anyone believes this. I can see these pics are Bull$hit. C'mon guys a 1069 pound hog?! I've got some oceanfront property in Nevada I'll sell real cheap!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hog was a pet up until 4 days before the hunt. The former owners hand fed it and used to let their grandchildren in the pen with "Fred".

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,277097,00.html

To the hog, people=food. Not feral at all.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even more questions. At the top of the artical it says it escaped four days before it was killed. Down farther I found this.

Not long ago, they decided to sell off all of their pigs. Eddy Borden, owner of Lost Creek Plantation, purchased Fred.

So what was it!!

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to his website and sent them an email about my disapointment of their hunt. I feel they give hunting a bad name bragging about such lousy marksmanship and such a long slow demise.

This is what I wrote.

I am a hunter but I must say I would not be bragging about this kill. The father and guide should also be ashamed. To shoot any animal as many times as this and to have it suffer for three hours till it is finally done in gives all hunters a bad name. At what point do you say enough is enough and risk juniors feelings and kill the animal. This kind of behavior is borderline cruelty to animals protected only because it was done under the guise of hunting. had a farmer done something like this I can bet he would be facing charges. Not only should this young man not be bragging he should go back to hunters education and learn a little about hunters ethics because no one involved appear to have any. I don't know anything about the handgun used but either it was the wrong weapon for the job or the shooter was not skilled enough in the use of it. I just can not say enough to convey my disappointment in everyone involved.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

posted Hide Post
Jacobite,

Sometimes it is better not to say anything at all. The kind of behavior that appears to have occurred with this matter is bad enough; however, so is continuing to rant about it.

Rather than running down the child. who most likely was doing as he was told. Spread the word about this "outfitter/guide" and reward him for this behaviour with a hit in the wallet. That will be much more effective than hostile emails to an eleven-year old.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the email went to the parents not the child. I also don't feel my email was hostile. I believe it was rather a polite way of telling them their actions were wrong. If you want to read hostile emails go to their site and read the ones they recieved. I think more hunters should speak out against this type of action. If one of use told a story like this about our hunt we would get flamed for pages. Why should we accept it from these people?

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

posted Hide Post
Upon further reflection I am editing my post to include the following comments.

The ones that are so quick to cite shooter inability make me wonder how many large animals have you guys taken. Sometimes one can shoot a large animal and it gets away. I shot an eland with a 300 grain FMJ in the chest, right where my PH said I should shoot it, the animal got away. We looked for the remainder of the day and the next morning. It was found dead several days later. The same thing happens on bison hunts. I know people who are good shots and they wind up chasing their bison for a while after the first hit.

Unless a person was there during the whole event, anything said is just speculation.

If the activities regarding this matter offend you, do not participate in similar situations. I personally do not agree with calling this a hunt, if what I have read about the hog being a former pet is true.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Heck.... I just wish I'd had the chance to shoot a 1,000 pound hog when I was 11 years old!!!

It ain't easy to kill a 300 pound hog when you're an adult and have killed hundreds of game animals. I can tell y'all that for an absolute fact. I can't imagine how hard it'd be for one THIS big!

As far as the holes in his guts... Just a little bit of reality. They didn't attempt to hide it so I applaud them. I'm inclined to believe the story.

Yep... This was probably a farm raised hog. So what? Do we have to wait for them to die of natural causes? homer

Somebody's gotta kill them. I prefer to do my own killin'... That's why they call me a hunter and I don't have a problem with calling this kid a hunter and I bet he's really HOOKED now...

Y'all need to get away from your computers and get out an hunt or fish or something, rather than sitting around taking pot shots at some kid that just had the dream hunt of a lifetime... thumb

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Farmers: 'Monster Pig' Not a Wild Hog, But Was Their Pet Pig 'Fred'

Friday, June 01, 2007

Associated Press

FRUITHURST, Ala. —

The Mystery of the Monster pig appears to have been solved.

The 1,051-pound hog, shot and killed by 11-year-old Jamison Stone and the subject of a world-wide Web firestorm over the photo's authenticity, really is...

Fred.

That's "Fred" the pig, and according to Rhonda and Phil Blissitt their humongous hog escaped on April 29, four days before it was killed, according to the Star newspaper.

Late Thursday evening, their claims were confirmed by Andy Howell, Game Warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

"I didn't want to stir up anything," Rhonda Blissitt said. "I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig."

Her husband agreed.

"If it went down in the record book, it would be deceiving, and we'd know that for the rest of our lives."

The monster hog gained worldwide acclaim after he was bagged by 11-year-old Jamison Stone, a Pickensville native, with a .50-caliber pistol on May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation, LLC, a hunting preserve in Delta. The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure and fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.

The saga of young Jamison's hunt spread as the family posted the story and photos on their Web site, monsterpig.com.

The Blissitts said they were unaware that the hog generating all the media attention was once theirs. It wasn't until Howell spoke with Phil Blissitt that the pieces of the puzzle came together.

Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him about the now-famous hog.

"Did you see that pig on TV?" Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him. "I said, 'Yeah, I had one about that size.' He said, 'No, that one is yours.'

"That's when I knew."

Phil Blissitt purchased the pig for his wife as a Christmas gift in December of 2004. From 6 weeks old, they raised the pig as it grew to its enormous size.

Not long ago, they decided to sell off all of their pigs. Eddy Borden, owner of Lost Creek Plantation, purchased Fred.

Attempts by The Star to reach Borden were unsuccessful.

While Rhonda Blissitt was somewhat in the dark about the potential demise of her pet, Phil Blissitt said he was under the understanding that it would breed with other female pigs and then "probably be hunted."

Many other of their former pigs — like their other farm animals — had been raised for the purpose of agricultural harvest.

As the Blissitts recounted the events of the last two days, they told stories and made many references to the gentleness of their former "pet."

From his treats of canned sweet potatoes to how their grandchildren would play with him, their stories painted the picture of a gentle giant. They even talked about how their small Chihuahua would get in the pen with him and come out unscathed.

"But if they hadn't fed him in a while," Rhonda Blissitt said, "he could have gotten irate."

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when they learned about all the doubters who said photos of Fred were doctored.

"That was a big hog," he said.

The information of the pig's previous owner came out on the same day that officials from the Fish and Wildlife concluded their investigation of the hunt. They concluded that nothing illegal happened under the guidelines of Alabama law.

Allan Andress, enforcement chief for the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division, said they learned the hog's origin as the investigation unfolded.

"We were able to determine that he came from a domesticated environment," he said. "So, he was not feral to start with. Therefore, he would not violate our feral swine trapping and relocating rule."

Mike Stone, Jamison's father, contends that he was unaware of the origin of the pig. Before, during and after the hunt — and until late Thursday night, when contacted by The Star — Mike Stone was under the impression that the hog was feral.

"We were told that it was a feral hog," Mike Stone said, "and we hunted it on the pretense that it was a feral hog."

from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,277097,00.html 1 June 2007

Move along, people. Back to your homes. Nothing to see here...

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
MS Hitman wrote:
quote:
I shot an eland with a 300 grain FMJ in the chest, right where my PH said I should shoot it, the animal got away

While I was not there and am only venturing a guess, I wonder if the eland got away not because of shot placement but because of bullet selection. An eland is tough, no doubt, but a contolled expansion projectile is what's needed to anchor one cleanly.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd thought that too, but I was going on the recommendation of the PH. He was the licensed one at the time. I had shot my zebra at about four times the distance a couple of days earlier with the same type bullet and had no problem anchoring it. Like I said, these things happen; especially if one hunts long enough.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
And now...about those photos...

http://66.226.75.96/pig/

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
And now...about those photos...

http://66.226.75.96/pig/

Priceless. I especially like Figure 15. Thanks for the link!

So, anyone here inclined to hunt with Southeastern Trophy Hunters or at Lost Creek Plantation? Anyone going to part with their honestly earned wages to attend a game show featuring "Fred, the Wonderpig"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing is for sure, the lives of this family due to what they did will be changed forever. They sought recognition and publicity and they have found both in way that they could never have dreamed.

I have read on some posts on other forums where threats are being made to kill them by activists and anti's............

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
where threats are being made to kill them by activists and anti's............

Why kill the goose that laid the golden egg?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
..........never considered it that way Peter, good point.