Find
Notify
Tools

BFR 45-70
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I was able to go out shooting with my boss again when his BFR .4570 arrived. What a monster of a revolver!

The PMC Lead ammo we tried had 1 hangfire and that was enough to keep us from using anymore of it

We tried the Remington 405gr ammo and it was very tame in this gun, around a .45acp recoil.

Then we tried the Hornady Leverevolution 325gr ammo in it. This stuff kicked just a little bit less then my 300gr xtp Casull loads, but it was amazingly faster to hit targets then the Remington or PMC, There was a definate difference in Velocity I believe.

The grip on the BFR is a little too big for my hands and after each shot I would have to re adjust to be able to reach the hammer to bring it back.

Definately a fun gun and ego booster overall, but I was thinking the recoil would be worse then it was...even my boss thinks the Casull was nasty compared to the bfr! Big Grin Big Grin

Time to order those 400gr Doubletaps and get the Casull ahead even more in the recoil department Smiler

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Thata a boy! That's what I wanna hear!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The BFR is a fantastic gun. I found the 45-70 likes bullets in the 300 gr range. The Hornady 300 gr with 32.5 gr's of 4759 plus a wad of dacron on the powder does 9/16" at 50 yd's. Use a LP mag primer. Factory loads have LR primers and they are too hard for the mainspring.
My 317 gr home made WLN boolit with felix lube and 31 gr's of 4759 does 1632.2 fps and has kept 3 shots in 3" at 500 yards. The drop with a 100 yd setting is 26 feet at 500 yards. I had to aim at a tree branch way over the target.
Here is my drop table. I also hit steel at 500 meters.
150 yards -4"
200 yards- -16"
500 yards- -26 feet
I have tried 4198 up to 1800 fps but get pressure and ES excursions and a sticky case now and then. Out of every powder, SR4759 works the best and is the most accurate.
I tried a lot of heavier boolits but it doesn't shoot as good.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would've gotten a BFR a looong time ago except for one thing, the damn grip frame that comes with it. It would've have made things easier if they hadn't made the gripframae/frame mating proprietary. I don't have big hands either and it would be way too expensive to try to change the shape of the grip frame to something more friendly like the Ruger bisley. Several world-class gun-smiths have attempted to make it "grip friendly" and found it was cost prohibitive to offer the option. Otherwise, it's a decent gun.

Frowner Frowner thumbdown

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, Magnum Research specifically advises not to use the PMC ammo for that very reason.

The recoil of the 45-70 with factory ammo really is insignificant. I've done the side by side with the 10" 45-70 and factory Federal 300 grain loads, and a 7.5" Super Redhawk 454 with Hornady 300gr XTP's. The 454 is much more unpleasant. When you move up to the heavier loads in the 45-70, things change fast. My BFR likes the Speer 400gr FP over 44.0gr of IMR 4198. This load gives me 5 shots touching at 50yds. The only problem is that the group is 10" above the point of aim. This should change once I get my hands on a HiViz extra high front sight. Recoil is far less punishing than a 44mag Contender with heavy loads and about on par with a 454 IMO.

I put the Hogue Mono-grip on mine, and now it handles better than ever. I wish I had done it earlier. It gives you a good, solid, full grip on the gun.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to try that load with the Speer 400. I never tried a heavy jacketed, only heavy cast where 4198 was giving me trouble with pressure jumps.
4198 works OK with the 300 Hornady so I think it is just cast boolits with it.
Money is a problem and it gets hard to buy bullets. I've been out of gas checks a long time because the prices scare me. I have to make a bunch of plain base molds. Retired is good but sucks for pay.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've done the side by side with the 10" 45-70 and factory Federal 300 grain loads, and a 7.5" Super Redhawk 454 with Hornady 300gr XTP's. The 454 is much more unpleasant. When you move up to the heavier loads in the 45-70, things change fast.

My boss is still trying to find a factory load that can outdo the 300gr XTP's from the Casull, I just ordered some of the Heavy Doubletap ammo for my casull so maybe that will make him realize it cannot be beat Big Grin

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Justin, I am happy to hear that you ordered the 400 grain loads! It puts the recoil into a different class!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll be sure and get video of the recoil difference Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's hard to beat the recoil of a full power 454. It just feels like sharp jab every time you pull the trigger with some of the lighter weight bullets. I would rather have the hard push of the heavy weights.

Either way, the long frame BFR is so heavy that it absorbs a lot of the recoil.

quote:
I never tried a heavy jacketed, only heavy cast where 4198 was giving me trouble with pressure jumps.

I had some trouble with lighter loads and 4198 when I used it in my 45-70 Contender. I moved up to the level 2 (lever action) loads and haven't had any problems since. I think that the higher loading density helps. With light weight bullets, I usually use Varget so I can actually get compressed loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How does Varget work in a 10" barrel? I have some here.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collegekidandy:
I think it's hard to beat the recoil of a full power 454. It just feels like sharp jab every time you pull the trigger with some of the lighter weight bullets.

I shot some 250's I think out of the Casull and they were very weak compared to these Hornadys, but I agree about how the gun feels in your hand being a Sharp Jab dancing

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I find the 400 grain loads to be real heavy in the recoil department -- a lot more so than any of the 300 grain factory loads that I have shot - you'll see Big Grin.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
How fast are the 400's moving from the 454? I went with the 45-70 in a handgun because I figured that it would be hard to match it's performance with the heavier bullets. At least with out going to extreme pressures like the 500 and 460 S&W. I actually sold my 460S&W to buy the BFR.

Bfrshooter, I've had great luck with Varget in the 10" barrel. I haven't chronographed any of the loads, but I use 60.0grains with a 300gr Hornady. I get 5 shots touching at 50yds, about the same as the 400 grain loads that I use. Maybe even a bit tighter.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collegekidandy:
The only problem is that the group is 10" above the point of aim. This should change once I get my hands on a HiViz extra high front sight.
I put the Hogue Mono-grip on mine, and now it handles better than ever. I wish I had done it earlier. It gives you a good, solid, full grip on the gun.

You can get different height front sights directly from Magnum Research.

Which model of Mono-grip did you get to fit your BFR?????!!??
I bought one for a Super Black Hawk and it won't fit. I was thinking if dremmeling it out to fit, but just never got back to it. I emailed Houge asking for a Monogrip for the BFR, but only got a catalog mailed to me.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...OK.."BFR"? BFR = Big F_cking Revolver? or is it a model of some brand? I am a little confused.

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Tombo - Biggest Finest Revolver......

collegekiddandy -- 1400 fps out of a 7.5-inch barrel. They kick!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tombo:
Hmmm...OK.."BFR"? BFR = Big F_cking Revolver? or is it a model of some brand? I am a little confused.

It's made by Magnum Research.
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Browse.asp?Category=BFR:Revolvers
They have a normal length frame and a long frame(Maxine) for rounds like the 45-70, 450 Marlin, 444 Marlin, 500 S&W, 460 S&W, 30-30, and 45/410. You can also get many other rifle calibers from the custom shop. The short frame used to come in 22 Hornet, but I think now is just for larger regular pistol rounds like the 50 AE, 475 Linebaugh/480, and 454.
Officially BFR stands for Biggest Finest Revolver, but I think you've got what most call it. They are built much heavier than any other revolver I've seen. Except maybe the old Century Revolvers that were 6 shot in 45-70 and 50-70, but I'm pretty sure the BFR is stronger than they are. I belive that most of the parts are made at a Ruger plant and they are put together at Magnum Research. They do not line bore the cylinders, but say they have a different CNC process that does just as well or better.
I think that all of the new ones are drilled and tapped for a scope mount from the factory.
One unusual thing about them is they measure the barrel length from the front of the frame instead of the actual barrel length. So my 6.5" 475 actually has a 7 1/4" barrel.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great, varget, here I come. I can't wait to try it. I use it in the 7BR and 7R with unreal accuracy and velocity even after Hodgden told me it was too slow. It is probably the most versitile powder ever made besides 4759.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Super Blackhawk Monogrip. It isn't a perfect fit, but still better than the terrible grips that came with the gun. They fit pretty well except for at the very top of the grip:

I'm trying to get the front sight direct from MR, but they are out of stock. I just placed the order again yesterday. I'll see if I get it this time. They have the medium and high sights in the Hiviz and all heights in the standard sight in stock. I just need the exta high one to use with the heavy bullet loads that I like.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Cool, maybe I'll have to try mine again and use a rubber mallet to persuade things some.
I don't really care for the stock grip either. On cold days, it kind of hurts to shoot it, but I don't have that problem with the Mono-Grip on my 45 Blackhawk and heavy loads.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I now have 2 BFR's that Jack Huntington converted to 50/110 for me (Awesome pistols- 600gr's at over 1400fps in the 7")..One is a 7" and the newest is a 5"! Yes,they kick,but the "WOW" factor is well worth it!.....Also,Magnum Research offers some neat Ebony Grips for it on their website.I got a pair on the 5" and they look and feel great.They are Much smaller than the factory rubber grips...Now it looks like a Blackhawk on Steroids! Smiler

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only regret is that I don't have much money or I would buy one of each of the BFR's. I have done extensive measuring on mine and never had such perfect bore/throat dimensions or twist rates. I have zero complaints with them and accuracy is as good as a $4000 custom revolver.
I am going to the range this week to test loads in my BPCR at 500 meters. I am taking my BFR .475 with my WFN boolit to shoot that distance too. I will post as to how stable the boolit is.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
If you get a chance, I'd like to see a pic of your Ebony Grips.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Pic's sent to your email....

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
SAFARIKID's 50-110 BFRs

Very nice.
You may have said before, but how much do they weigh without the scope?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
What make is the red-dot on the 7"?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, SAFARIKID!! If my memory serves me correctly (rarely does), Jack Huntington built those? VERY NICE! beer

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
safari kid... ilove that bottom one! shocker hillbilly

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,Happy 4th "Belated"! Smiler..Yes,they are "Beauts" but for some reason,they dont photo well,they kinda look goofy in pics,but when you hold them,its all good!..they weigh 63 and 60 ounces..7" and 5.5"...The bullets look mean too with the 600 gr woodleighs,a full 3" long!I hope to take a Brownie in Alaska this Oct with one if I can get under 80 yds,if not,my New Custom 500 Jefferey Alaskan is ready! 6 pds,9 ounces,16"" barrel and we chronied the perfect loads of 2200fps with 570 Barnes X's (over 6000foot pounds) from it the other day.Will be a delight to sling though the Alaskan Range....I "May" sell the 7" 50/110,need to shoot the little one and may scope it instead.Red Dot is a AIMPOINT,the best for these guns (Smith Wesson put over 5000 rounds through one on a 500 Smith)...Thanks for posting pics!!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Jack Huntington built them, correct?

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Yes and he is a great gunsmith,done several other neat projects for me!