THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    My Jack Huntington .475 Linebaugh SRH

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Jack Huntington .475 Linebaugh SRH
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted
I posted a while back about this handgun, but I took delivery of it last Saturday. Jack Huntington built a 5-shot .475 Linebaugh on my Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger. He also lightened the trigger pull a bit and aside from the recoil, is a pleasure to shoot! I put a set of Hogue grips on it and am not sure I actually like them on the handgun. I have shot Buffalo Bore's 420 grain LFN (1,350 fps) loads and the 440 grain loads. I don't like the way the 440s shoot, but do like the 420s. Recoil is brutal, but that was to be expected! Here's a not-so-good photo of it.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
You're right a wider grip would help to spread out the recoil forces and make it less brutal

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The reason I never loaded my 480 up to 475 levels, and can do so with my long nosed 400's, is that the DA frame is simply brutal at those recoil levels. To me the 480 is as much as can practically be handled in a DA frame unless one resorts to a muzzle brake or makes the gun really heavy.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
No doubt that it is brutal!! I'll get used to it, just have to shoot it regularly. I need to try the other grip out. The biggest problem is that I just got it and shot it two days in a row, and now I need a bit of a break - LOL! I'm actually considering putting a red dot on it (that should tame it with a little weight on top. bfrshooter has them on his BFRs, and they work like a charm!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was surprised how narrow the Hogue grips are at the rear. They come to a point and it puts the recoil right in my hands web. They feel good just holding the gun, but not under recoil. I understand that they also make grips with a cushion at the rear.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You're right, bfr. They seem to be okay on the Casull -- at least for me, but with the stepped up recoil of the Linebaugh, they aren't adequate. I'll try the factory grips again and see how they fare. I'll see what Hogue has to offer.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
red dot
take 2" off the barrel
and magna port thumb

how much was the conversion?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Boomie, I kept it at 7.5-inches, because I like the accuracy, and it balances really well as it is. I wouldn't port it to save my life!!

It just takes practice to master this level of recoil as it does stepping up from let's say a .44 mag to a .454 Casull. It's just bad from repeated use...... Big Grin But I like it! Like any bore (including all of my BB rifles), you need to practice, practice, practice!

Boomie, sending you a PM........

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boom stick, these are primary hunting guns, not back up guns. Long barrels are just better for this purpose. For open sights, the radius is longer for better alignment. Sight adjustments are finer. Then it gets the blast farther from your ears for hunting. Velocity is higher too, burning the slow powders better.
My .475 BFR is 7-1/2" and I wanted a 10" but it would have cost a great deal more money. It does what I want but I would never go shorter for hunting.
A ported barrel means you need muffs or something for even one shot at game. Not easy to hunt when you can't hear game movements. The muffs that have the electronics in them do not allow you to detect the direction of a sound. Why make things harder?

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I think I got the revolver fever now that Marko has gone and shot his .475!!!

I may be getting a single action .45 LC this weekend Smiler Tell me I don't need another gun!!! Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Oh but you do need another revolver, Justin! Big Grin

You're not going to get any help or pragmatic advise on this front from me!! jumping

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
jumping

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......That looks very nice .....So if you reduced the velocity to 1250 fps it would be like shooting a warm loaded 480 ... Mine were all nice to shoot @ 1200 fps w/400 gr bullet .???I really like the factory SRH grip ....,Again , nice pistol ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Gumboot, thanks! I swapped the factory grip with the Hogue as I did this for my other SRH in .454 Casull and it helped, but I think I will benefit from having a grip that is a little more substantial and fills the hand more/better -- the Hogues are awefully narrow. It used to be a .480 and was pleasant at 1200 fps with 410 grain bullets! Big Grin I'll get used to it!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth,
Those look like the regular Hogue Monogrips.

You need to look for the Hogue Tamer grips.
They are wider and fill the hand better.
They have a soft cushioned part where the web of your hand goes.

I have a set of both and the monogrips are crap cause they're too narrow and the buldge at the back rubs your palm way worse than the factory grips.

See the difference?
The Tamers are in the top pic.
The SRH Alaskan had the regular Hogues when they first came out but shortly after they switched to the Tamers.

BTW that's one purdy cylinder Wink

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
mmmmm......Alaskan........ Big Grin

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Wow!! I just learned something! Do you know the part number? I bought both of the wrap around grips from Cabelas and they only seem to have the one type. Those are nice and you can see that they aren't as narrow. Would love to try out a set of those. So, where can I buy a set?

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
I posted a while back about this handgun, but I took delivery of it last Saturday. Jack Huntington built a 5-shot .475 Linebaugh on my Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger. He also lightened the trigger pull a bit and aside from the recoil, is a pleasure to shoot! I put a set of Hogue grips on it and am not sure I actually like them on the handgun. I have shot Buffalo Bore's 420 grain LFN (1,350 fps) loads and the 440 grain loads. I don't like the way the 440s shoot, but do like the 420s. Recoil is brutal, but that was to be expected! Here's a not-so-good photo of it.......

Very Nice Revolver !!! All my life I was dreaming with a 5 shot cylender High Power R.S.R., but never can affort it in my f..... contry until S&W release the 500. Congratulatios!!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Thank you Guillermo! I may shoot it again today.......

Fumbler -- thanks for the advice. I just ordered a set from Midway! Will have it by mid-week next week and will promptly swap them and test drive 'em........ Will put the factory grips on them for today's range session......

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

Good looking gun. Huntington does some great work. He did up a Ruger Redhawk for me a few years ago. Now I want to send my RSBH to him for a longer cylinder so I can shoot longer bullets.

Posts: 54 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD_HHI_6092:
Now I want to send my RSBH to him for a longer cylinder so I can shoot longer bullets.

I know what you mean, I am considering sending him my SRH in .454 Casull for conversion to .500 JRH! But this one would strictly be a back-up gun with a shorter barrel.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Nice gun, Whitworth! I have a 500 Linebaugh on a regular Redhawk, I know what you mean about recoil!

I found three things that help. The best recoil reduction happened when I had the gun Taylor-throated. That means boring the existing forcing cone about 1 thou above bore diameter, usually for a caliber and a half. This allows the bullet to get a good run before hitting the forcing cone and the "slam" goes away. Felt recoil is about 60% of original with my gun while velocity is not affected. It also compensates for slight cylinder mis-alignment in most revolvers and accuracy will usually improve by some margin, depending on the degree of misalignment.

Second was mag-na-Porting. the reduced muzzle-flip made the gun more manageable. Don't know if it really reduced recoil but it made it more controllable, for sure.

Third, if you want a cheap fix is get a Past shooting glove. Try them on and get a tight one, not loose like regular gloves. That is part of their support, and a thin pad in the web of the hand.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
tiggertate, thanks for the advice. I had three shooting sessions with it last week and am getting used to it. I never shoot it without a glove (nor the Casull for that matter). I think the new grips will help a bunch. The factory grips are an improvement over the Hogue wrap-arounds.

Semper Fidelis