Find
Notify
Tools

Smith &Wesson 617
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of slonebo
posted
Im thinking of getting a 6 inch model, how do they shoot, pros/cons. How do they rate? I cant make up my mind on the 617 or a ruger single six What do you guys think?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 617 to the single six unless you desire the added power of the .22 WMR cylynder swap with the Ruger. The 617 is a great .22 revolver and with it's 10 shot capicity there is plenty opportunity to chase squirrals around with it before needing to reload. Also the 617 is quicker to reload due to the swing out cylinder vs the single action one chamber at a time. There are speed loaders availlable for the 10 shot S&Ws also. Both are great shooters with good factory sights.
Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everything Rodney said plus, can there be any comparison between a Smith's trigger pull and the Rooger?

Pick the Rooger if you are a wannabe cowboy who longs for the good old days of 1873.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
or a taurus 94SS

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney H.{500Jeffery}:
I prefer the 617 to the single six unless you desire the added power of the .22 WMR cylynder swap with the Ruger. The 617 is a great .22 revolver and with it's 10 shot capicity there is plenty opportunity to chase squirrals around with it before needing to reload. Also the 617 is quicker to reload due to the swing out cylinder vs the single action one chamber at a time. There are speed loaders availlable for the 10 shot S&Ws also. Both are great shooters with good factory sights.
Rodney.
Very good description of both.

I owned both (sold the 617) and the Ruger is the one I kept simply because of the 22Mag cylinder.
The Ruger is not as accurate with 22LR ammo as the 617, but it will do in a pinch.
The reason for this I attribute to the barrel being .224" for the 22WM and not .223" for the 22LR.

The Ruger feels lighter, and more balanced and has a superior single action trigger pull than my Smith had.
If you decide on a 617, get the 10 shot version. No reason not to have the extra 4 and I believe they are a tad bit LIGHTER than the 6 shots are (less metal in the cylinder perhaps?).

My 6-shot version was actually a bit heavier than my 586 S&W 357MAG.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slonebo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys Just got both the 617, and a ruger sigle six, havent had time to shoot them. I plan to this week end!