Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Taylor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Where can I find data for loading this cartridge?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36626 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is some here.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/416t.html

I took the data listed and used it as a starting point.

Start low work up.

I use IMR4064 in mine I found it to be a bit better then RL15

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 2 articles in BIG BORE RIFLES AND CARTRIDGES by Wolfe Publishing. that has some data (older).

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loaddata web site has some data.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
BIll Stewart I bet has some good info

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cartridge is actually named the 416 Chatfield-Taylor, and you may find more resources with it. There is a lot of load information on ammoguidedotcom if you are a member of that for profit forum.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I was hoping to try A-2230 as I have plenty of it. Looks like it is a viable option for 350 grain bullets in the limited sources I have found and will try it with 350 TSX for sure.

I have not seen it listed for 400 gr bullets albeit other similar rate powders are. Anyone seen a load for A-2230 and 400g bullets or can tell me why not a good choice for them?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36626 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I was hoping to try A-2230 as I have plenty of it. Looks like it is a viable option for 350 grain bullets in the limited sources I have found and will try it with 350 TSX for sure.

I have not seen it listed for 400 gr bullets albeit other similar rate powders are. Anyone seen a load for A-2230 and 400g bullets or can tell me why not a good choice for them?

2230 seems to be the choice for getting a 500 gr 458 to an easy 2150. Have you seen any 400 gr 458 loads with 2230? Would it be too far off?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
No that wouldn’t be close sir. I shoot 72 grs of A-2230 under a 450g bullet in my .458 WM. Would be more for a 400 grainer.

68gr of A-2230 is listed max for a 350g bullet in references I have seen for the .416 Taylor…would be less for a 400gr bullet.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the t/ttx billet hold up - i BELIEVE the nosler 350 will, too - but the speer hotcore has the structural integrity of a hotdog - it WILL expand even when hitting something small and thin skinned, like a racoon - did i say expand? perhaps I should have said explodes

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the 400 gr. bullet Accurate shows 61 gr. of 2460 (slower than 2230) and 59 gr. of 2015 (faster than 2230), so 60 gr. could be taken as a max for 2230. But at only around 2100 fps for the 400s, the 350s are probably better choices anyway at around 2375 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw this post. I've had a .416 Taylor Encore handgun for years. Killed elephant (12 yds.), lion (28 yd.), #2 roan, Cape buff. Great round. PM me & I'll give you all my data.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 250 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken Waters “Pet Loads” book has a chapter on the 416 Taylor. That what I used to used when I had one.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try ammoguide.com. you can check it out as a non-member, but to see the numbers you must be a member. it's only something like $22/year, but well worth it. there are over 32,000 loads published for 1165 cartridges including 124 for the 416 Chatfield-Taylor/ 416 Taylor Magnum. The website is my "go to" for most of my rifles. I have published hundreds of loads there myself.
hope this helps.

cwhuntsalot

Posts: 37 | Location: Redwood Coast Ca | Registered: 19 December 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot it for a good while but all I recall is the best powder was IM4320 by a long shot. 4064 was a distant second, and I bet that's still a best powder in that case..If I find that workup I will email it to you, but its been many moons ago..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Loaddata.com it lists the 416 Taylor with 400gr jacketed bullet at 54-60gr of A2230. There were two listings that had that same min/max.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote