THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

finding how far off the lands you really are.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
most of the time I load my rounds to the length of the mag of the rifle. I hear a lot of people talking about loading .005 of the lands ect. How do you know how long your chamber is with a factory rifle? I have been doing is taking a case that has been shot and putting a bullet in it. I tighten it down just enough so that it holds the bullet in with out it falling out. I do that ten times then take the average lenght and start from there. I'm just wondering if there is a precise way to do this.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People use all sorts of methods for this, so you'll likely get quite a few options presented.

There are several variations of the method you use: lengthwise cut of a sized case neck, lightly crimp an unsized case neck etc etc. All to ensure that a bullet can be kept stable at the position where it is set when pushed into the lands.

Sinclair makes a simple gauge (which you can also emulate by marking a cleaning rod) which works on the basis of mesuring distance to boltface vs. distance to bullet held into the lands.

I personally prefer the gauge made by Stoney Point (these days marketed by Hornady), which works with "modified" cases allowing you to fix (and measure) a bullet at the "in lands" position. Others will disagree, but I have found this gauge to be reasonably easy to use. Drawback: this gauge requires you to buy (or make) the modified case for each caliber.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Stony Point/Hornady gage and it works well for me. The modified cases are't expensive. I've made 2 myself but find it much easier to purchase them dancing Hornady will also make one for you (you send the brass) if they do not offer your case for $15.

Overall it's easy to use and relatively quick to measure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the cleaning rod method with the 2 small plastic clamps you can buy cheap at MidwayUSA.

Close the bolt and insert the cleaning rod and mark at the muzzle (or place the first clamp).

Then open the bolt, place a bullet into the chamber and push and maintain in place with a pencil or small dowel then mark the second location at the muzzle on the rod (or place the second clamp).

Measure between the two marks (clamps) and you now have the Max COL to the lands. Adjust your seating depth from this measurement.

I find this method very reliable and duplicatable.

>
I'd rather be a CONSERVATIVE NUTJOB than a Liberal with no NUTS & No JOB
>

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:
I use the Stony Point/Hornady gage and it works well for me. The modified cases are't expensive. I've made 2 myself but find it much easier to purchase them dancing Hornady will also make one for you (you send the brass) if they do not offer your case for $15.

This device works very well.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 30 years I've used the cleaning rod method but now use the Hornady OAL gauge, comparator, insert and modified case. Very easy and effective. Wish I could have been using it for the past 30 years.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
People use all sorts of methods for this, so you'll likely get quite a few options presented.

There are several variations of the method you use: lengthwise cut of a sized case neck, lightly crimp an unsized case neck etc etc. All to ensure that a bullet can be kept stable at the position where it is set when pushed into the lands.

Yep !.

Save an empty case fired from your particular Rifle , chamber the empty into you Rifle ( bolt close ? )

OK ; Now one easy way is to take and only NECK size that case or some people slot the neck then pinch it down.

The object is to hold a bullet tightly enough and out far enough so when carefully placing that empty back

into the chamber it doesn't move until you start closing the bolt . By using a felt tip marker all around

the front half of that bullet ,you'll be able to visually see the land marks after closing bolt fully and

CAREFULLY extracting that empty . Now take Micrometer or Vernier Calipers and measure over all length.

Now when loading reduce that distance .015" to start with then .010" and so on .

Barnes bullets are one of the exceptions they prefer to JUMP .040" - .065" and you don't want them

against the lands !!!. Some Rifles can be finicky about the distances so it's trial an error .

What everyone failed to mention is the further you load into the lands the higher peak or spike

pressures become ,so WATCH for pressure signs and stay below Max loads , until YOUR SURE of

what your doing is safe !!!.
I measure too the Bullets ogive however that takes a specialty tool .

http://www.snipershide.com/for...wflat&Number=1037211

http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2...ullet-seating-depth/

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use the Stony Point/Hornady gage and it works well for me. The modified cases are't expensive

+1

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I'm another satisfied user of the Stoney Point/Hornady OAL tool & bullet comparator.
Easy to use, more accurate & repeatable than some other methods.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
1 - Remove bolt from gum
2 - With muzzle down drop bullet into chamber
3 - Insert a wood dowel into chamber and make reference mark aligned with receiver index.
4 - Remove dowel and bullet
5 - Insert case fully into chamber
6 - Reinsert dowel and make another mark
7 - Remove case and dowel
8 - Cut dowel into four equal pieces
9 - Weigh each piece
10 - Take average of weights, add bullet and case weights, subtract powder charge, divide by caliber x gun weight = OAL

Easy! tu2

P.S. Be sure and use a Hickory dowel for really precise results. Wink

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My method is to crimp a shell enough to hold the bullet then load a blank shell long and put a bullet in it so it gets pressed into the lands, then remove the shell and put it in the press.

Now, if I seat and crimp separately I have the seater press in, then run the shell up all the way into the die and run the seater plug all the way down, then back the shell off and give the seater plug 1/8 turn and tighten the locknut down on the plug. Then replace the seater die with the crimp die and kinda the same thing- run the crimp down all the way, then back the shell off and tighten the die up 1/8 turn but do whatever you need to do to get a firm grip.

If you are seating and crimping with the same die, then I put the shell in and run it all the way up, then run the crimp die down by hand until you feel resistance. Then run the seater plug down so it touches too. Tighten the seater locknut, then back the shell out and tighten the crimp die 1/8 and adjust the locknut on the die.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
What I have done a few times is to load an empty and unprimed case with a flat base bullet inserted upside-down. The bullet needs to extend as far as possible out of the case and must have a fairly tight fit in the case mouth. When you chamber this cartridge the base of the bullet will not go beyond the start of the rifling and gets pushed into the case. When you extract the case you can measure how far ahead of the case mouth the rifling begins.

Bullets of varying nose shapes will extend into the bore for varying distances. If you get measurements taken using the base of the bullet loaded forward you can use that information relative to the beginning of the ogive of any bullet.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a couple of the methods mentioned here(such as crimping the bullet in the case, using smoke, felt tip marker, to mark bullet, etc., etc.). Then, some years back I discovered the Stoney Point Comparator,now owned by Hornady.

Mine came with six different caliber inserts. Separately, I bought modified cases for the cartidges I load. To me, the cost was relatively inexpensive; results more accurate and reliable and significanly faster.

I think if you are satisfied with the old methods; don't want to incur the expense or try something new- or whatever; keep with what you are satisied. But, the Comparator works great for me.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me 4!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
several methods ..

for me, its -.027 to .030 off the lands to start a load .. increase that another .03 in addition, for TSX/barnes type bullets...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use the Stony Point/Hornady gage and it works well for me. The modified cases are't expensive. .

+5 ?

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote