New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal LR 210 and 215 Magnum Primers question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Asking if our American members are seeing new supplies of these Primers in gun stores these days.
Over here there's been nothing for probably two years and whenever I enquire about supplies and shipments I get no sense from anyone. There seems to be no news at all regarding production for sporting shooters. We have had some LR Primers ( Fiocchi, White River ) but no Magnum Primers of any sort at all.
I would really like more Federal Primers as by far these are what I prefer.
I realise serving the ammo demand of the world's current hostilities is a big factor here but hope some production could find it's way onto the recreational market.

Interesting note: The White River Primers that turned up here were apparently destined for Australia ( I read this somewhere ) but were not cleared for entry at the port due to documentation errors, so they got sent on to New Zealand and received clearance for entry. They've been a Godsend and it's always nice to get one up on our Aussie mates Wink

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got some 210’s a couple months ago.

It’s spotty but some are coming out.

Posts: 10596 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if you are limited to one primer, the 215M is a darn good choice

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
if you are limited to one primer, the 215M is a darn good choice

Both the 210 and 215M are tops in my experience. I haven't tried every make of primer out there, just several American brands and Norma ( which I was told were USA made anyway ).
So far I can continue using both but they are running down. I prefer 210 for non-magnum loads and 215 for magnum, or heavy, loads. Have experimented a bit both ways but generally the above system seems to work best for me.
The only European primer I want to try is RWS if they ever reappear here and I can afford to buy them when they do !

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I got some 210’s a couple months ago.

It’s spotty but some are coming out.

Good to know. Thankyou.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
We'd be lucky to get any brand at the moment.

Though I have some LR primers to go on with, I might have to get a small pistol 'cause that's the only size the shops have.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
We'd be lucky to get any brand at the moment.

Though I have some LR primers to go on with, I might have to get a small pistol 'cause that's the only size the shops have.

Yes, the whole primer shortage situation sucks horribly. It's bad enough in the large northern hemisphere markets and here, down under, tougher still. I hate paying today's going prices but bite my tongue and pay anyway.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
RWS primers are great!

I use them all the time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
At my local Academy sporting goods store in Abilene, Texas, they have CCI and Winchester small pistol and small rifle primers on the counter as well as CCI No. 200 Large Rifle primers. Prices are $7 to $8 per tray, with a limit of four, I believe. Nice to see the door opening a crack ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have had some LR Primers ( Fiocchi, White River ) but no Magnum Primers of any sort at all. I would really like more Federal Primers as by far these are what I prefer.

I've been a handloader for over a half-century, and have owned a chronograph since 1971. I'm yet to detect any appreciable difference in ANY primer's performance either in velocity, consistency, or dependability.

Some shooters swear that anything less than a "magnum" primer may possibly result in hangfires or misfires in 0 degrees Fahrenheit temperatures. They may be correct, but never having hunted (much less shot targets) in such conditions, I can't say.

Assuming you are not anticipating using your loads in extremely cold temperatures, you may find a "standard" primer performs in every way as well as those vaunted Federal 215's.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
We have had some LR Primers ( Fiocchi, White River ) but no Magnum Primers of any sort at all. I would really like more Federal Primers as by far these are what I prefer.

I've been a handloader for over a half-century, and have owned a chronograph since 1971. I'm yet to detect any appreciable difference in ANY primer's performance either in velocity, consistency, or dependability.

Some shooters swear that anything less than a "magnum" primer may possibly result in hangfires or misfires in 0 degrees Fahrenheit temperatures. They may be correct, but never having hunted (much less shot targets) in such conditions, I can't say.

Assuming you are not anticipating using your loads in extremely cold temperatures, you may find a "standard" primer performs in every way as well as those vaunted Federal 215's.

oh, there's a difference in big bores -- i had run out of 215s, and used wlrm primers for replace, in a 500 jeffe -- there's few things like a hangfire behind 13-ish grs of powder -- switched back to 215s from then onwards -- sill used wlrm for many things, till i "got old" and decided that 215/215m is the right answer and stuck with it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought 1000 of each last week locally and they were gone before closing time..

RWS, fed,cci,ww and Rem, all good primers..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive hunted in way below zero here in Idaho, never have had a hangfire or misfire in the last 40 ears..never in the hot senora desert either! I think they are caused by improperly seated primers, brass function, or firearm malfunction 99% of the time..Mostly I have used Federal or CCI.

I'm referencing rifle, have had pistol malfunction on occasion.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote