THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny Things you see at the Local Ranges.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Man it just amazes me what alot of folks do while at the range.

It's very surprising to me what alot of guys accept for accuracy. There are a ton of folks that come to the range and are satisfied w/ a pie plate group at 100 yards bewildered yet, those same fellas will tell you about how they hunt areas where they can shoot 300 yards.

Another thing that gets me is the guys that shoot their rifle and it hits six inches off so, they adjust the scope and fire again and when that round hits the bullsye they put up the rifle and say "she's good to go." How do they know that their Wal-Mart scope has settled heck, their next shot may have still been 4" off.

Oh yea, You gotta love those guys that bring out their new rifle slap down a brand new box of 30 dollar ammo and shoot the entire box at one time w/o letting the barrel cool down and it's 100 degrees outside. Some of them will move the scope after every shot. Barrels so hot you could fry bacon on it.

Whats some of the things you all see that just makes you grin?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 yards? Around here, it's 700 yards. Never 690 or 710. Fired from a standing position, of course.

About this time of year the hunters -- as opposed to the serious gun cranks -- start showing up at the local range to sight in their new guns. Typically it is a macho magnum caliber, all the better for those 700 yard shots. Often they cannot hit the paper, because they close their eyes and jerk the trigger.

Bring your checkbook to the range with you, because occasionally Mr. Macho will get so disgusted with the new gun that he'll offer to sell it to you for a song.

IMHO, most of them would be better off with a 243 or 30-30.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I like the guy that comes with a SK and a half dozen magazines, sets up on the 50 yd range and procedes to see how fast he can run them through the rifle. He leaves grinnin` from ear to ear, ready for anything. Check the target he left set up, and it`s got one or two holes in it after he`s sent 200 rds downrange.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year I visited a free public range in SC where my friend had moved. I was impressed at how polite and careful everyone was. Two of the shooters had benchrest rifles with inline loading gear.

I had my Swift along in case we went hunting and the range was only 100 yds there. I like the riflemen there.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
How about the guys who keep shooting after the range operator says cease fire, you put your rifle in the rack, take off your ears, and BOOM!!! That happened my on last trip to the range, and I ended up saying a few choice words in front of some young kids before I even realized it.

I absolutely agree with you Savage. Some of the friendliest, most curteous and helpful people you will find will be at the smaller, "cheap" ranges. My favorite range is the Arkansas Game and Fish range just outside of Mayflower AR. 200 yd rifle, and 50 yd pistol, and an automated skeet range. You can shoot all day for 2 bucks. It doesn't get much better. Unless the distances were longer.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the most amazing thing i've seen at a gun range was an old man, about 70 or 80 years old, who showed up with and old lever action 38-55. i was shooting one of my scoped rifles and getting my usual(with that rifle) 1.25-1.75 inch groups. this old man sat down and shot(with glasses and open sights) 3 or 4 , 2 shot groups. when we went down range i was embarrassed. every two shot group he shot had the two holes touching. i told him how impressed i was and totally humbled, went home.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I absolutely agree with you Savage. Some of the friendliest, most curteous and helpful people you will find will be at the smaller, "cheap" ranges. My favorite range is the Arkansas Game and Fish range just outside of Mayflower AR. 200 yd rifle, and 50 yd pistol, and an automated skeet range. You can shoot all day for 2 bucks. It doesn't get much better. Unless the distances were longer.

Steel Slinger, You'd be in Hog heaven at the Range I frequently visit.

They have the traditional T shaped benches made of concrete and each individual bench has its own rack and table for supplies. There is probably 15 benches and they are adding about 15 more right now. The benches and tables are under a covered tin roof. They supply you w/ the following: Targets, Ear Plugs, Chairs, Seat Cushions, Staple Guns, Staples, Leather Shooting bags, a Bushnell spotting scope w/ tripod, cold water to drink, and a Shop fan for those Hots Days. They also give you Plywood target stands w/ legs that slip into buried PVC pipes at 25, 50, 75, 100, & 200 yards. Oh, they also have wind socks if you want to use them. It gets even better, It's all FREE. Yep, The WFD does it for free 4 days a week from 8-4:30. We are truly lucky to have such a nice range for free, there are lots of folks that pay 10-15 dollars a month for even less. If any of you fellas are close by, we'll have to go out there and shoot some time beer

Have a Good One!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy shows up three benches down with this 30/30. Put up this full size mule deer picture/poster. Each time he fires off-hand he announces to the world "that was a bullseye", "that was another bullseye". I had a .30 in my target two benches over, the guy next to me had 2 in his. "0" hits on deadeyes target. Doesn't phase him he takes his finger and pushes the rear sight over. Seems he hasn't had a screw in the rear sight for the past 10 years or so. Simply amazing.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last week an old man was having trouble sighting in his 7mm Mag. I bore sighted him and was on and in with two. His Savage was printing a little over a 50cent piece. Hey not bad. So I suggest that he move over to the 50 yard bench out of the way and I would watch him. First shot is 4 inches off--he cranks the dial. Next shot clips the edge of the paper in the opposite direction--he cranks the dial again. Next shot went God knows where, its off the board entirely. Old man gets pissed and says now look what you have done to my gun packs up and leaves.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
A guy showed up today, popped out of his truck, and asks me if there are any decent targets out on the boards that aren't all shot up. What, you go to the range and can't be bothered to bring your own sheet of paper??? His attitude said that this was a normal occurance, not just an "I forgot" incident. bewildered

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I watched a guy come in and sit down with 2 boxes of .300 win mag ammo. At the first cease fire I walked by and he was complaining that his accuracy was getting worse, I looked down at the bench and saw he had an entire box of empties and about 7 or 8 more empties from the other box. He was complaining that his shoulder hurt, his forehead hurt (small cut above his eye), that his ears hurt (he had no hearing protection and the rangemaster did not notice) and that his hand hurt from where he burned himself when he touched the barrel. He had apparently done all of this in under 20 minutes.

I suggested he take up bowhuntinmg and he said that he gave up bowhunting because he had nearly cut his fingers off a couple years back on a broadhead. At that point I did not want to suggest fishing....

True story.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not from the range I visit, but posted here a long time ago, and too funny to let it go---

A guy shows up at the range with his brand new chronograph. He procedes to try to put it out in front of his bench while the range is hot. Range officers drag him back. He is pissed.

When the cease fire is called, he again sallies forth to put up his chronograph, leaving a loaded rifle on the table, pointing downrange. Range officers intervene again. By now, he's really pissed.

So, finally, he has his chronograph set up, and the range is hot. The Range Officer politely offers the opinion that the chronograph seems to be a little high. By this time, the shooter isn't going to be told anything by anybody.

He then procedes to destroy his chronograph with his first shot. He grabs what he can, chucks it in the trash, jumps in his car, and throws gravel with his tires as he leaves. Those remaining quietly gathered up the useable parts, such as screens, and took them home.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
not a range story but does relate to how incompetant some people are. i was in the walmart sporting goods department listening to a guy trying to decide whether to buy a 270 or a 3006. he asked the guy behind the counter what the difference was. the guy behind the counter(he had been working in the sporting goods dept for a long time) actually told the other guy that the 3006 was for round nose bullets and the 270 was for shooting the pointy kind.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This wasn't funny perhaps, unless you are me--but I was shooting my Ruger 7 mag one day--final phase of testing loads, and I was having a good day. Guy on the bench next to me struck up a conversation while they were pulling targets on the pistol range, and commented that he just didn't understand folks who tried to make big guns shoot as good as little guns as they just couldn't be made to shoot accurately. Since I was shooting the 7 Mag and he was shooting a .243, I thought I'd just see. Well, next break in the action we went down range to pull the targets. He walked over to me and asked how it shot. I showed him the 5 3-shot groups between .38" and .96" and said "It shoots OK for a 7mm Mag. How does your little gun shoot?" He just put his target down to his side and started back to the benches. jump

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
A man was shooting his 7 mag (a Savage if I remember correct) with the hard plastic recoil pad. He had bought a scope off of E-Bay for “$65.00†and mounted it on top of his rifle with a set of nice Weaver see through mounts. He was having some trouble getting it to shoot any kind of groups. I suggested his scope mount might be suffering from Kinetic energy and letting the scope move. He assured me that that was not the case. He shot 2 boxes of shells at 100 yrds within about an 8" group he declared it was accurate enough for the 300 yrd hunting he was going to do in "Alaska" on Moose and Caribou.

I wished him the best of luck on his upcoming trip to “Alaskaâ€

I have been wondering where I can get one of those excellent $65.00 scopes considering the cheapest one I have cost $400.00 plus tax.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HELLO THE CAMFIRE:
The funniest thing that I have seen at the range was a yong man who brought his girlfriend out to show her what a good shot he wa with his Glock, He set up, they both put on hear and eye protection on, he started shooting down range, and he sent two of his 9mm empties into the girl's tank top, Where upon she flopped out her 44s for the world to see and started to flog him about the head and ears with her top. She was not wearing an over the sholder holster for the 44s (estimate) and they looked like a main sail in a major luff. The range master was laughing too much to call the range cold and we had several people trying to make their groups during the altercation. She had two of the pretiest 9mm case brands on her weakside 44, not that that hefer was weak actally weak either side. I could not see too much of what was going on after that point because the guy with the 9mm started waving it trying to protect his head and I hit the dirt. She would not let anyone give her first aid and promised, loudly, that neither she or her "scrawney assed" boy friend was going to f--k around with guns again. I stopped shooting at pubic ranges after that.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go to a public range at a wildlife management area in mid western GA and during the off season you have the true guns guys that have manners. This time of year you start getting the folks who shoot once a year and call it on. I was having a bad day testing loads and this guy walks over and recommends IMR 4064 and says "your .270 will love it its the slowest powder they make." He then procedes to pull this UGLY POS out of a case and says "it makes this one shoot clover leaf groups at 200 yards." I asked if he was going to shoot it and he quickly replied that it was torn up and he didnt know what was wrong because it hasnt been shoot right lately.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CDH--Has to be the same guy who ran out of ammo next to me. Didn't ask if I had any extra ammo I would sell him--"would you mind if I try out your rifle"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day All. JudgeSharpe, those folks must be related to the guy I saw. During the state police transition from revolvers to glocks, the local officers were doing their shoots at our public range (due to time constraints at the police range) with their shiny, new G22's.
Old beer belly sarge, with new shiny glock, proceeds to holster said firearm, with finger on trigger. OOPS!
BANG! Owww! Shot himself in the ass! Not serious, just a big crease across his ass. And blew concrete chips and bullet frag all over the place. Guy must have been asleep for the bit in the course where they tell you not have you finger on the trigger, unless you are ready to shoot!
CEASE FIRE!! Holster all sidearms! yells Range Officer. You guessed it, Bang again! Same guy, same thing, same spot!
My zeroing practise was shot to hell, I just couldn't stop laughing.
"To protect and serve", and provide comedy relief.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know what you all mean, I've seen some of the same, good and bad.
One funny story ,
First one, is an old, I mean old gentleman shows up at the range at work. All the benches are full with gear and people, so I clean out a spot next to me for him. The polite gentleman sits down after thanking me, pulls out an old Remington 1100 slug gun that looks well used, with a brand new red dot sight. He explains that his eyes aren't what they used to be, so he's going to sight in and try a red dot this year. I go ahead with what I'm doing, as the old gent shoots at 50 yards, on one of my targets which I told him to use to save him a trip downrange. After a while, I notice the groups at 50 are off center and pretty spread out. The fellow catches me looking at his target and explains, he's a little shaky and nervous with all the shooting going on. I help him make some adjustments and get him relatively centered and tell him to take a shot or two at one of my 100 yard targets. First couple of 100 yard shots prove the need for a minor adjustment. He again explains he's shaky, and I try to assure him we're all just out to have some fun and get our rifles sighted in. He settles in and fires a 4 shot groups with all the slugs touching about 3" above the bull at 100 yards. I'm absolutely dumbfounded, and it showed. The old fellow turned to me and thanked me for being so patient with him and he was calmed down enough to shoot now. Bless his heart, he could shoot DARN good with that old 1100. We talked for a while and he had a pair of Bushnell binoculars trying to see his group. When I look through his binos I couldn't see the trees much less the target so I had him look through my spotting scope. He explained that his wife had bought him the binos for a birthday present in 1962, and they weren't the best, she didn't know what to look for, but he said he didn't bother to tell her of her mistake. I told him that was probably a good idea. He proceeded to tell me that the plaid hunting coat he was wearing was part of a set of coat and pants he'd worn hunting since he bought them in, get this, 1946 !!! As we talked, he told me of a hunting trip with his son, where he made a pure luck shot with his 1100 at around 200 yards. He told his son it was skill, as a joke, and never told his son it was pure luck. Just a great old gentleman that made you want to call him gramps, and listen to him all day as he told stories. You just knew he didn't know how to tell a lie, it was all true, from many years afield.
I left the range thinking I was so glad I'd taken the time to be patient with him and lend a hand. I thought back to my own, long gone, father and grand father and I hoped someone got a kick out of them one day back when, as I had today from this fellow. I was the better for having met him, and I thought how he was passing it on in his own little way, you only had to take the time to listen.

Bob

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I do my best to avoid the range the month or so before and during hunting season. Invariably there is some nimrod fiddling with his scope while you are checking your target.

Suprisingly I went last week against my better judgement and somehow picked a day when the nimrods weren't out.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
One day at a trap range and 16 yard targets I was on post four and the puller shouted...."change"...meaning to change stations.

I had my gun open and pointed to the ground and the gal on post five was ready to shoot and hearing the command to change stations, bought the gun half way down and turned inside instead of outside and discharged the 12 Ga accidently into the concrete splattering about 20 bbs (ricocheted off the concrete)into my legs and into every other shooter on the trap. The one on post one took bbs in the upper chest and others in between took bbs between legs and upper chest.

A doctor was on hand because he was a trap shooter and he called for help and some were taken to the emergency room. No one even knew I was hit and if it wasn't for the sting in my lower legs I wouldn't have known either. After the smoke cleared and all the folks had been taked to the ER I removed my cowboy boots to find nothing but a pool of blood.

I then drove myself to the ER as well.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vapodog:
One day at a trap range and 16 yard targets

Talk about a similar event!!!

Gal's gun didn't go off. Does a 180 thumbdownto get help from hubby. Into the concrete thouroughly sprays a guy on the 25 in both thighs and pierces my ear on the 27. Her and her old man made no new friends that day. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I work in a collision shop. One day an old fella showed up to get his truck fixed, He had shot a hole in his hood and out the through the fender when aiming through the scope off the hood of the truck. Two weeks later I'm at the range shooting my rifle along with several others. We call the range cold and go down and check targets at the 100yd. Bang, bang, we turn around and a guy is having a teen age kid throw clays with a hand thrower and he is whanging away with a 12 ga O/U at the clays the kid threw in our direction with the shot going over our heads. You guessed it, it was the same guy who shot the hole in his truck.

aka. bushrat

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Lets see there is the guy that blasts his own chrony and wants to use my $1,000.00 spotting scope.I had to tell him I see how you are with your own stuff you aint touching mine.
The guy that looks at my .416 rem. mag. and claims to have a .458.When I ask if its a win.mag. or a lott he does not know.Of course I let him shoot it knowing damm well the scope is going to get him.Twenty minutes later he finally stops bleeding.
There is always someone who checks out the .416 and asks what thats for.I respond for Africa.And they dont believe it.
Guy lets me shoot his scoped fn fal at 100 yards.I cant see the twenty rounds I just fired.He says man you got a tight group.When I look though the spotting scope its on the target to the left of the one I was shooting.
Probly the best all timer was in basic training when the guy got the eject brass between his cheek and chin strap of his helmet.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the guy two bays down showing up with his brand new .300 SuperGameGetter complete with the $1000 3-9x 50mm scope, shooting a few rounds and then "scoping" my target to compare.

Unfortunately, most are either too embarassed or macho to ask for help or advice. Almost funny, except when you think about the shot placement on the game they'll be shooting at during the season.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My current favorite is the guy at the local range... the range officer no less with the custom built gun (large cartridge... actual specs omitted to protect the innocent) who just off the cuff states that he's pushing "x" bullet at "x" velocity. When any fool who knows anything about guns, knows that the guy has neither the barrel length nor the case capacity to come anywhere close. Then when you ask him if he's actually chronographed it, he says no. To top it off, I've offered to let him use mine twice and both times, even though the gun is present the ammo is mysteriously absent. All the while, he's showing this gun off to every poor sap that comes out there telling them how powerful it is and quoting the same incorrect velocities. Ugh. Frowner

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at the range doing some load testing one day, and another fella saw my Chrony and asked if he could put a few rounds over it as he had left part of his home. I said sure, so long as he didn't shoot the chrony itself. As he was setting up, I asked what he was shooting. .300 Ultramag. By coincedence I had just finished reading an article about handloading the Ultramag with 180gr bullets. It had said max SAAMI pressure put them out at a bit over 3400fps.
Well this guy was shooting 180gr bullets. At his first shot, when I saw the display on the chrony I just started backing away as I didn't want to be that close in case pieces of rifle started falling out of the sky. 3550fps. The next few were in the same area. After several shots he looked up and said "I may be getting close to max for this gun". I had been looking at an empty while he shot, there was no readable writing left on the base, but a beautiful imprint of the machining on the boltface, complete with a small nub that stuck out just where the ejector was. Showed it to him and sais that I'm guessing he was well over the max.

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the one I really like is this:

A friend of mine lives on a farm and we have a nice little private range setup. Good backstop, solid rests, etc...We take whitetail hunting pretty seriously, so it always gets me when we are out scouting the night before the opener, and the cell phone is ringing off the hook with people we see about twice a year, begging to get their rifle sighted in.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oh oh oh. Let me join on this one...What about the fella on the hunt or at the range,that pull out the 30/30 or 303 thats been in the closet since last season,with an old tobacco tin with every possible cartridge,of every grain weight,of every age,of every manufacturer....Making the number of possible combinations endless...Sits at the table checking headstanps,till he finds enoungh that fit his gun and off he goes...That is my favorite

one of us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty,our club is shared by the local police(it helps keep our range paid for) And they are who I see the funni*** No NO scariest stuff from

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I am with Paul here.. I HATE going to the range within 30 days of rifle season starting... and the last week, well, i wont go tothe "range" store for even powder.

some of the "funny" and "funky" things i'veseen

300 sav in a 308 bolt gun. this seems to happen alot, as I've picked up this custom short necked 308 from several ranges

rem. 710 package guns... the funny thing is how well they actually DO shoot.

AFTER I explain what a big bore is for (rabbits .. heh heh ) I then am asked to explain why a gun that powerful aint a long range gun (while they are holding a 1 rad. round nose)

one of the funniest thing I've seen at the range...

My youngest son is about 1/2 my size (funny, so is the UPS man Eeker).. and he loves shooting big bores..

We'll go to the range, and some big ole boy (texas tiny) will be the fella asking me these questions.. and then sees geoff shooting my 416 or his 458 or 500 jeffe or 550 express... and he'll hint around to shoot it... I'll offer... sooner or later, after watching geoff (5'10", 150-160#) bang away with it, ask if he can...

I TRY to give him a decent holding lesson, showing him it will kick the snot out of him..

"that's okay, if HE can shoot it, i can" is the universal answer....

Funny, they never want the second round....

ah, another funny.. brand new ar/mini14/ak/ruger 10/22... entire mags ripped off in about the same time I can take mebbe 2 shots...

smoke rising off the wood.. and/or the stench of boiling off cosmoline....

"ah, you might want to let that cool a little"
"man, this is an automatic (opps, first mistake) it's DESIGNED to be shot as fast as I can"

"ah" is all I say...walking off, wondering where I can get that magic heat resistant barrel steel

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39577 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I can't help it, I've got to share this one...

My son and I were at the range several years ago and a fellow two benches down from us is setting up to shoot his brand new scoped rifle. I'm shooting at the time and my son says, "Dad, they guy doesn't know anything about using a scope." I look over just in time to see him pull the trigger with his eye about 1/2" from the scope. Man did he have a big smile just above his right eye! Lot's of blood flowing and his very concerned girlfriend was quick to offer aid and a handkerchief. After a bit and the blood quit flowing he decided to try again. I walk over and start to offer some advice which he waived off so I went back to my bench and watched a perfect repeat performance. This time he was cursing loudly and saying he'd never needed a stinking scope before and wouldn't ever use one again...did anyone want to buy his for $10? My son was trying not to laugh out loud but I couldn't contain myself.

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
One time at a shooting party back home, a guy asked to shoot a friend's brand new .270 WSM.

The owner tried to tell him how to hold it, but he wouldn't listen. First shot gave him a half moon from the scope just over the right eye. Luckly the people throwing the party were EMT certified, and used super glue to stop the bleeding.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I shoot at the Club and at a public range.The Public range is closer,so I shoot there more often.After visiting both ranges,I prefer the Club for serious shooting and safety.
The Public range is always good for chuckles.
Just last weekend,my two sons and I were at the Public range trying out some cast bullets.(we are noobie casters.)
Two benches down was a Dad and a small son and smaller daughter.He was showing his offspring how to shoot.They were shooting a Marlin bolt .22.At 50 yards ,the lil' sister was out shooting her brother.The dad was belittling the boy instead of showing him the right way to shoot. Roll Eyes
My youngest would wait until the other boy would shoot,and he would proceed to shoot the boys target with his Ruger 10/22.Instead of looking at his boys target,he would tell the boy he wasn't holding his tongue right,ect.
When ole dad went out to the targets to show his son how bad a shot he was, he was amazed at the one hole group just 1/4" left of center.He then proceeds to tell his son with more practice and watching his sister,that he can get that group over where it should be. Frowner No wonder the boy would rather play games on his gameboy.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was at the range a couple of years ago and a couple of guys with a younger kid showed up with their AK style rifle. The two older ones were blazing away with it at the 150 yard gong and were hitting it once every magazine full. When they let the 10 year old try it, everytime the kid pulled the trigger I would ring the gong with my 223. (I was feeling a$$-holish that day) The older guys were amazed and obviously not sharp because the time between when the kid fired and when the gong rang was not consistent.

After the kid rang the gong 10 shots in a row one of the older guys shot 5 rounds and didn't hit the gong once. He gave it back to the kid and I rang the gong five more time. He was shooting slowly so it gave me time to reload but my biggest fear was that the kid would actually hit it and it would give a double ring.

After that they just packed up and left and two guys on the other side of me came over laughing about it. They figured it out real quick.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mr Jim Beagles
posted Hide Post
I belong to a private club. I was shooting my Ruger 44 SBH and a young lady asked if she could shoot it. OK. No problem. I explained about the single action and loaded it for her. She held it out with both hands when an LARGE bug flew by a couple of feet from her. She followed it around with the Ruger. I grabbed her hands an pushed them up and thanked the gun gods it was a single action. If it had been a double, she would have been blowing holes in everyone.

If you can't have fun, what good is life?
Were liberals born that stupid or did they work at it?

Posts: 84 | Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by budiceale:
not a range story but does relate to how incompetant some people are. i was in the walmart sporting goods department listening to a guy trying to decide whether to buy a 270 or a 3006. he asked the guy behind the counter what the difference was. the guy behind the counter(he had been working in the sporting goods dept for a long time) actually told the other guy that the 3006 was for round nose bullets and the 270 was for shooting the pointy kind.

Now that one was RICH!!!!!

You pay minimum wage, you get minimum wage intelligence! homer

thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see everyone in here has a range that is just like the local one here.....

NO one brought out the story, which I am sure you all have seen also... I see it every year and it cracks me up....

Joe Schmoe is out with the New Mega blaster and the scope with an objective the size of a garbage can lid.....

He is out with one, two or three boxes of ammo for it from Walmart etc...

He sets the target out at 100 yds.... and proceeds to blast away until all of his ammo is gone.. ( I pick up the cases to reload... thumb) He hasn't checked his target out except thru the scope. When he walks down range to check out his target... There is only one hole and he has shot 20, 40 or 60 rounds at the target.....

Sometimes the that ONE hole in it isn't his.... It is the jokester close by that shot it.. ME!

As he is either gloating over himself or wondering what the hell....( depending on his ego or cluelessness) about the ONE hole in his target.... I walk over and congratulate him on " what a tack driving rifle" you got there......

Every shot has gone thru the same HOLE!!!!

That normally really makes their chest puff out and then I ask them where are they going to be hunting.. ( So I won't be any where near where they will be throwing lead at anything that moves)...

If they are really gullible, I will stir the crap about " man with a rifle like that, anything within a mile must be dead meat!" They're usual response... " yeah the guy at the gun store told me that this thing would kill anything within xxx amount of distance".....

I am not in favor of guncontrol.. but at the same time.. It is scary that any homer can go to a gun store with the right amount of money and end up out in the woods with something that can hurt himself or someone else....

I just avoid the areas with a lot of hunting pressure...

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I have some good ones and this is from two weeks ago! Me and Bill AKA M1Tanker went to the Sierra Vista public shooting range. We get set up and there is an older man with some high dollar 1911 I think one was a Kimber an dht eother was a STI. Well he throws a shotgun shell out about 10 yds or so from the bench so I get ready to shoot and Bill told me to look I turned this old man thinks he is in fucking LA or something and starts blazing pistol holding it sideways, I'm thinking what the hell. Then about two benches down there is a kid with a 710 the only time he stops shooting is when the range goes cold. Well anyhow he is shooting at the 300yd gong it is constant bang bang hell with the barrel cooling and he had assortment of ammo one box of remingotn another box of federals and some winchester, and he is not hitting it, anyhow Bill gets his CZ 452 and starts shooting at it once he found out where he had to hold he was hitting it. So I get my Model 30 out open sight and Bill had some Korean Ball ammo And I hit several times. Then there are these knuckle heads shooting at the 150 gong with one of those Armalite 223 the ones that shoot like 3 inch groups if you are lucky, Bill gets hill 375 out shoots it and blows the damn thing over LOL. Same guys have savage in a 308 Trying to hit the 600yd gong never came close but they had everyone there thinking they had the ultimate sniper rifle don't get me wrong I like Savage rifles. After awhile it got kind of crazy out htere so we packed up and left. Almost forgot the range master had a beautiful Browning O/U you know the ones that cost a couple grand anyhow he could not figure the trigger system to get the bottom barrel to shoot, Bill gets up the guy loads it and Bill shoots it,told the guy there is nothing wrong with it. I told the guy I will give you 100 bucks and a pack of gum for it. Don't forget about all the self appointed gunsmiths out at the ranges to.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote