THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny Things you see at the Local Ranges.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
Ugh, it pains me to write about this idiot.

Last week I took my girlfriend shooting with me at a range I do not usually frequent because of all the yahoo's that go out there. This day was not different than any other.

The day started fine, we were the only ones there, taking our time, and having a good day. Then comes this guy in a beat up old Chevy. He gets out of his truck, with no ear protection on, with his "new to him" Ruger M77 in .270 that he only paied $400 for, and the guy told him it might need a new barrel, but that was easy to install. He chooses the stall directly next to mine. The guy proceeds to talk to me and my girlfriend about how he can hit the bulls eye "every time" with his .308 ishapore Enfield with a "1 in 18" twist.

I was trying to ignore him, but the guy just would not shut up. He continued to "show me" his Ruger P94 carry pistol by pointing it at my groin region. I side stepped, and he still did not pick up on this. I was baffled that someone could be so dumb. He then went on to surprise me more when he actually started shooting.

He decides to sight in his new to him Ruger M77 with a tasco 4x12 off hand, announcing after each shot he had done exactly as he wanted. After 10 rounds, he announces he wants to get his target, without asking to clear the range he just picks up and runs down range.

After coming back from the target I suggest that he could borrow my bags to help expedite the sighting in process. He takes the front bag, but declines to use the rear, all the mean time I am watching his barrel shake from his terrible form.

He gives the bag back, and then gets on his cell phone. I go back to shooting with my girlfriend, the guy then precedes mid sentence to say to the person on the other end that my girlfriends "gunshot" was his own, and that he had hit bulls eye. I about fell out of my stall.

After another shot, the guy then proceeds to tell the person on the other end that "that gunshot was a 30-06" of course it was not, and it was just my 22-250.

We were just finishing up at this point, and as I was leaving I looked over to see how he was doing, it appeared that in about 30-40 minutes of shooting he had finished off 60 rounds.

Needless to say my girlfriend and I laughed all the way home.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
As much as I oppose anti-gun laws, one fall I worked in the local gunshop in Las Vegas, New Mexico as all the local "mighty hunters" were preparing for the hunting season.

After this experience, I began to understand why some folks don't believe people should own guns.....and I was almost afraid to go out into the mountains myself looking for a mulie, for fear of coming across some of the yo-yos we had sold licenses to....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steel Slinger:
Alberta Canuck,
Like everyone always says. The Army is run by NCO's. Officers are just there to bark orders and screw things up.

Although, I must say that there are a few decent, and level headed officers out there. Good luck getting one of them in your unit though.

This young LT, as foolish as he was, is not the only person who should have ended up in court for this incident-the Company Commander, and perhaps even the Divison G3, had a duty to at least check up on what this idiot was doing. I'm very surprised that none of the Division's senior NCO's (like the Command Sergeant-Major)didn't alert someone up the chain of command to stop this exercise in madness.

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by one-holer:
I got to the range later than normal one day and found our local Dr. and his son at the bench cleaning the good Doctors .300 Mag. Doc would push a parker hale jag w/patch through and Jr. would remove it. Jr. wasn't paying attention as Daddy pulled back on the Dewey which jammed Jr's finger into the end of the barrel. Doc panics as Jr. is screaming and continues to pull backwards. I scream at Doc to push not pull. With one final yank Doc pulls a small chunk off of Jr's finger and it starts to bleed really good. Doc sees what he has done to his kid--turned white and damn near passed out.

Good thing there was a DOCTOR present, right??

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by one-holer:
Genius next to me can't get on paper after 40 rounds with his 7 Mag. I ask him if he by chance notices anything wrong with his scope? "No that is exactly the way I've been mounting thme for the past 20 years". And the guy actually gets pissed and leaves after I tell him he has been having trouble for the past twenty years and that his scope is rotated so the windage is now the vertical and the vertical is in the windage position.

Interesting-from time to time, I have mounted a scope on a bolt-action that way on purpose, to keep the windage screw protrusion out ot the way of the ejection port for easier insertion of rounds into the magazine. But of course, you DO have to remember that the elevation screw now is used fopr windage changes and the windage screw is now the elevation adjustment....

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
About 15 yrs ago I was a battalion commander at Ft. Benning and had a MASH hospital assigned to my headquarters also. We were at the range doing qualification firing and familarization firing for the MASH nurses with the Beretta 9mm. Right in the middle of the fam firing, you hear the dreaded "Cease Fire, Cease Fire, Medic, Medic" which really ties your gut in knots. I hustled down to the firing position with the problem and found a nurse with blood streaming down her face from a laceration just under her eye. Turns out the "coach" didn't know enough to tell her she shouldn't "hold the pistol close to her face so she could see the sights better" and when she squeezed off the first round, she learned the error of her ways as the slide nailed her pretty good.

I saw a POLICE OFFICER with an S&W M29 .44 Maggie do this once, with full-power 240-grain factory ammo-his new gun! Well, it split the skin on his face open from his chin all the way up his nose to his forehead!

I think I could have bought that .44 pretty cheap right then!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A funny thing happened at the range one day....

The targets I use for load development are half sheets of paper with a quarter of it blacked out. Plenty of room to hit the target, plenty of room left to write notes on. I also usually don't mess with the scope during load development unless it's to get or keep the round on paper. Put up about 4 or 5 targets at a time to keep the walking down.

Anyway, during this particular session, the rounds were falling in the black section of the paper. I could see them, but my 'critic' sitting next to me, who I have never seen before, couldn't and proceeded to proclaim to me and his buddies MISS, MISS, MISS. Under his breath to his buddies "what a piece of .....".

In his zeal to point out my shortcomings, Mr. Wizard forgot to clear his chamber. As he creeps up on his scope to get a better view, I imagine his finger grazed the trigger and BLAMMO. I've seen a couple scope attacks before, but NOTHING even came close to this. He must have been a 1/2" off on a 300WIN.

Called a cease-fire, went and collected my targets, packed up and went home. Didn't have the stomach for it any more that day.

I did make sure and lay my targets upside down on the bench while leaving so my 'critic' could see the groupings (with his one good eye).

irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to say that the people who tend to show up at our range are real gentlemen and ladies. The Range Officers are on the ball, and gently keep everyone safe. There are darn few places, or groups of people, that I enjoy more.

We have one woman who keeps showing up with interesting firearms, such as a 50 cal sniper rifle, and an assortment of full autos. The only funny thing about that was that her 50 cal muzzle blast was knocking over our brass catcher, two benches down. We thought that was pretty funny. She even let me and my son-in-law shoot her 50, which was a kick.

Worst character at our range has the very annoying habit of reliably putting practically all his revolver shots at least on-paper, most in the black, at 100 yards, standing, no support of any kind. It really bothers those of us who can't do it.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
quote:
I absolutely agree with you Savage. Some of the friendliest, most curteous and helpful people you will find will be at the smaller, "cheap" ranges. My favorite range is the Arkansas Game and Fish range just outside of Mayflower AR. 200 yd rifle, and 50 yd pistol, and an automated skeet range. You can shoot all day for 2 bucks. It doesn't get much better. Unless the distances were longer.

Steel Slinger, You'd be in Hog heaven at the Range I frequently visit.

They have the traditional T shaped benches made of concrete and each individual bench has its own rack and table for supplies. There is probably 15 benches and they are adding about 15 more right now. The benches and tables are under a covered tin roof. They supply you w/ the following: Targets, Ear Plugs, Chairs, Seat Cushions, Staple Guns, Staples, Leather Shooting bags, a Bushnell spotting scope w/ tripod, cold water to drink, and a Shop fan for those Hots Days. They also give you Plywood target stands w/ legs that slip into buried PVC pipes at 25, 50, 75, 100, & 200 yards. Oh, they also have wind socks if you want to use them. It gets even better, It's all FREE. Yep, The WFD does it for free 4 days a week from 8-4:30. We are truly lucky to have such a nice range for free, there are lots of folks that pay 10-15 dollars a month for even less. If any of you fellas are close by, we'll have to go out there and shoot some time beer

Have a Good One!

Reloader

WHERE???.....OH PLEASE ...WHERE ????
is this "HOG"..HEAVEN ????

I'm looking for a place to retire to
and
I think I want to go where I can visit this range that you describe..OFTEN !

renaissance@renman.cnc.net

It is the Mark
Of an Instructed Mind
Not to seek Exactness
But to accept the degree of precision
To which the nature of a subject
Will admit.
Aristotle

Posts: 11 | Location: No VA | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
irwin,

I had a similar experience the other day. The guy next to me was a self proclaimed "sniper". He went on to tell me how good he could shoot with his $5000 rifle and scope combo, and that you couldn't get even close with a $500 off the shelf rifle. He offered to spot for me when I set up my scope. I shot 3 rounds and all of them were declared misses. He went on berating my "cheap" rifle as we walked out to check targets. When we got to them berm I had a hard time not laughing in the guy's face. I had a perfect 3/8" group that was hidden in the center of the black bullseye. His groups were 3/4" to 1.5". What made it even better was the fact that my hunting rifle never shoots much better than 3/4". I couldn't have asked for a better time to get a lucky group.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IdahoVandal:

I suggested he take up bowhuntinmg and he said that he gave up bowhunting because he had nearly cut his fingers off a couple years back on a broadhead. At that point I did not want to suggest fishing....

True story.

IV

Thankyou for not suggesting that this guy take up fishing. I work as a flyfishing guide. This moron could have ended up in my boat someday, at which point I would have ended up with a fly in my ear!!

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a few.

Full Auto Asian.
The not-so-bright female LEO.
The Brass Sprayer.
Grumpy old rangemaster.
The "Here honey, shoot my .44" dude.
Unsupervised kid with a 9mm on a cold range.
Yeah bubba, that pistol is accurate.
It's called a "chronograph".
"Yes, I reload."
"No, the black magic marker "52" on the side of that 25-06 case is not the number of times I've reloaded that shell."

A long time ago....
Two rambo types show up at the range and pull out a side by side, 12 gauge shotgun (w/dual triggers) and a box of shells. The barrel and stock had been freshly cut down. The only thing left of the wood stock was the pistol grip.

We all kinda looked at each other thinking "huh??? This oughta be interesting".

Rambo #1 loads two into the chamber, holds the shotgun out in front of his face, looks down the barrel and fires off a shot downrange. You guessed it! Busted himself badly around his mouth. Whilst bleeding profusely, he did have enough sense to break open the barrels before handing the shotgun to Rambo #2.

Rambo #2 calls #1 some choice names, extracts the spent shell, pops a new one in and says "This is how ya do it!"

#2 holds the shotgun at waist level, one hand around the barrels, one wrapped over the top of the pistol grip and a finger on each trigger.
Both triggers get pulled at the same time. The top lever tang on the back of the receiver split the web of #2's hand between his thumb and forefinger deeply.

Won't ever forget the sight of #2's hand and his hollerin'. Can't remember which one drove home.....
Sako

Sako

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
We've got an old fart (and I use that term derisively) on our range that is a club officer since who knows when. Always telling everyone else how to shoot, etc, etc, etc. When he or his family want to change targets, he calls a cease fire. When five or six others want a cease fire called, he and his family (there are always a couple with him) keep shooting.
Now, if he calls a cease fire, we look around to see if its for safety, then make him walk to each position and ask for a cease fire. May not be the safest thing to do, but...

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This works great during "sight in days", just before the opener. Let a guy shoot your rifle, but tell him the loads are a "tad bit on the hot side". He doesn't know the loads you give him are tracers. The usual responce is something like, "Yeah, those sure are hot allright."

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the one about the archery range--I get there and there's a trail of blood all the way down the floor. After asking what the hell happened I'm told well the paramedics just left. Seems a gal was removing an arrow from the target ...it was stuck real deep, so she pulled real hard. Yup, she impaled the nock of it into her eye socket.

the chef

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
While on a Hunting trip to Ga a few years ago,my hunting buddies decided to go to a local DNR range to pass some time away and have some fun.

This was a very nice and farily large range with 30+ benches.

The WMA this range was at was having a hunt the next day so it was getting real busy with people checking their rifles out.In fact there wasn't but handful of empty benches left when I spot this guy walking up to everyone on the fireing line from the far end.

Real nice guy was going about asking if it would bother anyone,as he was wanting to touch few rounds from his .460 Wea.Mag.He said it was Very Loud and the Muzzle Blast was bad as well.

When he got to our bench at the far opposite end I said go ahead you ain't going to bother us,besides you ain't going to be shooting anything half as bad as what my friend is getting ready to shoot.

He gave me a real puzzled look and had to ask what I was talking about.I told him my friend was getting ready to shoot his 7mmSTW with a Muzzle Brake.He walked off still puzzled.

When the line went hot again ,the guy was right his was loud.Then my friend touched his 1st round off.Everyone looked right at him and went back to shooting.When he fired again they did the same.When they saw him getting ready to fire again they started packing up.By his 4th shot all of them had left. jump

I guess you can say he and the others just got educated on "Muzzle Brakes" and the "Boss" the hard LOUD way. Wink Big Grin

Myself I still hate being on the line with while someone is shooting with either.

Have a Great Day and God Bless

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
WHERE???.....OH PLEASE ...WHERE ????
is this "HOG"..HEAVEN ????

I'm looking for a place to retire to
and
I think I want to go where I can visit this range that you describe..OFTEN !

That would be the Bodcau WMA Public Range near Shreveport, La. It's first class.

Open from 8:30 til' 4:30 Fri.-Mon.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I'm reading through all these with a mixture of shock/surprise/humor/incredulity, and then I hit the story from lawndart about Ashleigh. That's classic!! The best one yet. I agree, she will go far - she obviously knows right from wrong and how to set the wrongs right...

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at the state police shooting range in Alexandria, LA watching my brother-in-law participate in their annual handgun qualification and in some of the competitive events that followed. We were watching the quick draw contest and some of these guys were incredibaly fast and accurate as well.

We were leaning up against our truck which was parked close to a 20'x40' covered shed. It was next to the quick draw firing line and had tables and such under it. From our position, We could see down the firing line and basically had a good seat to watch the competition. About 30 officers had congrigated under this shed with their gear and such. There was one guy there that must have been prety good at adjusting trigger pulls as most of the officers were taking their pistols to him to have the pull lightened up for the quick draw.

Anyway, one of the officers took his pistol to the guy, asked him to adjust the trigger, and handed him his "loaded" weapon. The trigger guy unloads it and starts working on the trigger and the officer commences to shoot the breeze with the other officers. Well, the trigger guy finishes up adjusting the trigger, dry fires it a few times, loads it back up and hands it to the officer. (bet you can see where this is going)

You're right! The officer immediately points the pistol toward the floor and quickly "dry fires" a couple of rounds into the concrete pad. Well I got to tell you, it was the funniest thing I've ever seen. It looked like a big covey rise with state police officers ducking and trucking out from under that shed. There wasn't nothing but Axxholes & elbows diving under tables and running in every direction.

Luckly, now one was injured severly. A couple had some little cuts on their ankles from concrete fragments and there were a couple of decent size chunks of concreete missing from the concrete pad, but other than that everyone got out more or less unscathed.......except the officer that pulled the trigger!! Big Grin

firstshot
--------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading all this? Wow. I thank God I live in the country where I have room to shoot whenever and as far as I please, without putting up with some of these people. I would be scared ----less at these public ranges!

Posts: 26 | Location: Ky | Registered: 23 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two. Both occurred at ORSA in Oak Ridge, TN. The first happened 2 years ago. A fellow comes out to sight in his muzzleloader and proceeds to pop a cap to dry the chamber before loading. Fortunately, he had it pointed at the ground about 5 feet in front of his bench. Fortunate because it was loaded and went "BOOM". He looked around sheepishly, packed it up and left.

The second was just a few weeks ago. A fella shows up with a bolt action Barrett .50 and sets up at one of the middle benches. I was 3-4 benches to his right and another shooter was set up 3-4 benches left. He had a Coke, spotting scope, box of rounds, etc, etc, on the bench. When he touched it off, it recoiled about a foot and the muzzle blast cleared everything off the bench. By the time he shot it 4-5 times over the course of 1/2 hour, I was working on a pretty good flinch of my own.....just watching.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a nice thing to report?

My brothaer and I were shooting at a public range on Long Island NY (Calverton range) last year (weekend before Thanksgiving). We were heading off the range after a couple of hours of shooting which included our 30-30's, a varmint gun, then our Marlin 39A lever actions for some fun plinking (which we got from our Dad as our first rifle back 30+ years ago. We are both in our 40's now).

As we were loading the car, we noticed a father and son (boy about 12 years old or so) shooting a 22 LR rifle. They had a couple of 50 round boxes of ammo. My brother walked over to them and asked the boy to "hold out your hands." He proceeded to fill his hands with 22 ammo left over from a Walmart box of ~ 550 rounds of Federal 22 ammo.

He left the box on the shooting table. The boy and father were grinning ear-to-ear saying "THANKS mister!!" My brother replied, "May father would have wanted it that way. Shoot a lot, and shoot safe."

Class act that brother of mine. It made all of our days (if not weeks and months).

If we don't spread the good news, who will?

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
My buddy and I were sighting our rifles in for a forth coming deer hunt in South Dakota. I was about 2 benches away when I heard him shoot and and then curse a few words. I went over and found him with a half moon cut above his brow that looked nasty and was bleeding. He was shooting a 30-06 Rem Model 700 old-style with a butt plate. I asked if he was o.k. and he said he was and he must have crawled too close to the scope and he said " that can not happen again." I went back to my bench and continued to sight in my rifle. Moments latter he fired his second followed by another shriek from him. I went over again and discovered that he now had a pair of half-moon cuts above his right eye. I smiled and insured him that the fellows back at the squadron would not ride him too hard after I filled in the details of his day at the range. Today, we still laugh at this incident and he gets a "sheepish smile" each time I bring it up!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little girl was standing around waiting for her father to try and hit 100 yard paper with his 7Mag. I get her over to shoot blue rocks with my rifle just to piss her pappy off. I tell her to pick any blue rock and let her rip. She waits and waits and waits. Dummy me I forgot to tell her blue rocks are orange. Poor child was straining to try and find a rock that was blue.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Care to let us in on what a blue (orange) rock is??

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue Rock = trap targets, sometimes they are blue, some are orange or yellow or black....often referred to as "clay pigeons"

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm blessed with a personal range so I can watch the annual spectacle unfold. Last year someone brought 4 guns to and "sighted in." One for him and the rest for his friends who were too busy to come. A shot from each fulfulled the mission. They all hit the 24" target...from 50 yards.
On another occasion someone shot up two boxes of cartridges, scattering shots all over the place, including BOTH target supports and a nearby tree, and went back to town for more. When I went to check on the ruckus, tightening the scope solved the "accuracy" problem.
Just last week end, someone showed up with a 7 Win Mag he had purchased and a used $30. scope to sight in for deer hunting. The cartridges we're leftovers from a sale of discontinued ammo. He used them all up to get the job done indicating he would buy and use different ones for hunting. But he wondered if it was a problem that the reticle moved on the target depending how he looked through the scope.
I told him that most $30. scopes do that, but he likely missed the point. He also wanted to know if all 7 mags kicked that hard, I said that all Rugers with the skelotinized synthetic stock and rock-hard butt pads do. Since he just got the gun in a deal he likely missed that point too.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Blue Rock is the pigeon breed that was traditionally used for live pigeon shoots.

The first "clay" target was branded "blue rock". Clays have been called blue rocks ever since.... FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerBoy you all said a true mouth full for sure. Last week two of us were shooting and up pulls a car full of-well anyway you know the kind- masters of all, loud mouthed crap from a Neighboring state. They piled out with about 10 guns. I told them to go get the range officer and sign up but they decided to blow away the frames that didn't have targets on them. Then to try to make us think they were really bad they brought out their pit bull on a logging chain. I went and got the Sheriff and they ran them off. I jumped the range officer too because he was inside a building drinking coffee about 400 yards away when all this was goin on. But the one that I still see in my sleep some times is about a range over in Mississippi on Federal land. It doesn't have any range officer around. You pay three dollers and go shoot. Most of the time there are enough real shooters that everything is kept in order. But one day it was full and there were kids around also. Just as we were ready to shoot a 6 year old girl ran across in front of the whole line of shooters. A man screamed real loud to NOT shoot and she ran on by. Man I can still see that little girl coming into the scope as my finger was easing back. And I wake up after seeing the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tip hitting her.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch:
Nice job--you must be as old as me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Our targets have a 2x2 wooden frame and they are constantly shot all to hell. Fortunately we make enough money to replace them but some people just can't shoot and they won't spend enough money to let a good smith install their scope so that it is solid on the rifle. And the heavy trigger pulls don't help much either.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
My shooting buddy and I were shooting at the rifle range on a Saturday morning. We used to shoot alot and usually hit very close to what we were aiming at. A guy rolls up and asks us to hold off while he sets up a few steel pigs at the 300 yard line. We go cold and are wondering how well the new guy shoots. He is 3 and 4 benches down from the two of us. My friend is shooting a Knight 308 and he is a superb shooter. He knows his rifles and what they like to shoot. The new guy fires at the steel pigs for 20-30 minutes and does not knock over a single one. Now Jerry, my shooting buddy cannot take it any more. He points his Knight at the three steel pigs at 300 yards, three shots in five seconds and all the pigs fall. The new guy looks around and he does not know who did that. He grabs his gear and speeds away in disgust. We hold off cracking up until he is gone to avoid incoming!
The other good one occurred on the full auto line. I was shooting a full auto M2 carbine when two elderly gentlemen walked up. One asked," Is that what I think that is?" He knew what it was and I knew he was a combat vetern and carried one. I told him yes sir, cleared the weapon and handed it to him. They looked it over, and for an hour and a half, I heard first hand stories of their experiences in Italy in WWII. He declined to shoot it, just seeing and holding it was enough. I left, grateful to have men like that who saved the world, all those years ago!
Jeff in Texas

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
At a range here in Afghanistan, a soldier was having trouble with his red dot sight on his M4. The M4 is a flat-top and has backup iron sight for the rear, not a "permanent" one. Because he couldn't get his red dot sight to work, he just took it off. He was trying to zero with the front sight post only Eeker

My POS First Sergeant has had not one, but TWO negligent discharges. Eeker

Posts: 7581 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personal favourite Army fuck up, the unit XO says, "any bastard who has a UD (Neg Discharge) will be charged and thrown in the cells! 5 seconds later, BANG, the XO is on his way to the cells!!!!! Dumb prick!

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many, many years ago, while I was in law school, I shot on an indoor range in the basement of one of the gyms at the University of Pennsylvania. The range was run by a gunnery sergeant from the local NROTC unit.

My shooting partner, a law school classmate, had bought a new S&W .22 revolver and it had a bit of a timing problem. He was shaving lead and asked the gunny to look at it.

Just as the gunny picked up the revolver, a HUGE cockroach started crawling across the floor of the range about 3/4 of the way to the targets. The gunny, seeing the roach, fires three shots, the third of which vaporizes the roach (or at least blows it out of sight). He hands the revolver back to my buddy, tells him it's got a timing problem and that if he sees either of us doing what he just did, we're banned permanently. We got a good laugh out of the whole thing, but safety was definitely not the first thing on that particular gunny's agenda that particular afternoon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Livingston Montana is known for its wind but the wind is down in the mornings and the best time to shoot is at dawn to about 9 AM. It is also the safest time to be on the range...

Older gentleman with two real civil war era Springfields, 58 black-powder, loads both, caps both, drops one, thank god downrange. It doesn't discharge, he picks it up, cocks it, it discharges. I start packing, but not before he swings the loaded one 360. I'm usually pretty easy going but I go over and get in his face. He's not happy but lets me load up and leave with his cannons on the bench.

Family shows up dad, mom and two 5 to 7 yr. old boys. Dad pulls out a 1911 and starts loading clips. No hearing protection for anyone. I'm two benches down and have my muffs on so I can't hear what they are saying. I stop and ask dad if he wants to put up a target, he says no and mom tosses out a few soda cans. Ok... I should have left at this point. I've only got a couple of more rounds to test so I stay. Dad starts poping at the cans and the two kids start runnig all over the place chasing brass, including right in front of my bench. Time to go.

In the magic time of 30 days before hunting season opens you see some real winners. My favorite was a guy with a 340 Weatherby one of the older ones with the "California" stock, no muzzle brake, and Leupold 4X12. He starts to tell me how he killed an elk last year with this "set-up" at 750 yds. How the rifle shoots 1/2 groups at 300 yds. How the people with muzzle brakes are "pussys" because even on the bench the recoil isn't that bad and in the "field" he never notices it anyway. How he uses only factory ammo because you can't count on reloads. He sand bags the thing in, pulls a bag of lead shot from his truck and puts it between him and the rifle. He has a standard "site-in" target taped up at 200 yds. After 20 rounds he still hasn't hit the target. He's flinching so bad it's amazing, so one of his buddies takes over. This guy has the sence to check the rifle at 100, no hits, so put up a target at 25, its a good 8 inches high. Crank it down, and then out to 200 again 3 of 5 "hit" the target. Mr. 750 yd shot takes over and puts up a pattern and says it's good to go. Of the last 10 rounds fired, 7 hit the target, "group size" about 16 inches... elk at 750 yds...right...

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
quote:
elk at 750 yds...right...

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Maybe he's the nut. I know the type.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby:
First one, is an old, I mean old gentleman shows up at the range at work.
... Just a great old gentleman that made you want to call him gramps, and listen to him all day as he told stories.

I love stories like that...

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
My favorites are the dudes that pick up an sks at the gunshow and are at the next cmp match,always good entertainment thumb Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy next to me set up and was having touble opening his magizine tube on his .22 We soaked it with WD and finally got it open. I noticed quite a bit of surface rust. I looked down the barrel and it was totally impacted top to bottom with a termite colony--their clay structure with termites. The man grabbed his rifle and said he had to get home and check the rest of his collection.