Find
Notify
Tools

New Brass Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted
I’ve been reloading for a number of years and just encountered a problem I’ve never experienced before. I was reloading for my 6.5 creedmoor and opened a new box of Hornady brass. Trimmed and chamfered it but did not resize it. The seater die would not close completely. I tried a once fired case and the die worked perfectly.

I’ve been inconsistent over the years and not always resized new brass but this is the first time I’ve encountered this problem.

How many of you resize your new brass and have any of you experienced this problem?

Posts: 711 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have run into big bore brass that needed to be sized before loading.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never assume that you don't need to size new brass. Sometimes you do. Tolerance stack up between brass, dies, and chambers is huge, relatively. It is a miracle that any of our systems work together. Remember, SAAMI specs are Voluntary.

Posts: 17139 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to load and shoot new brass without benefit of running them through a sizer die but don't do it with rifle brass now because the brass being made now just isn't as uniform as it used to be. Maybe the expensive stuff is but the cheaper brands that I use aren't. I still will just load and shoot new straight walled pistol brass.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALWAYS run new rifle brass through a sizing die FIRST, before first firing. I always use a FL die. Mainly this will even up the internal neck size, giving more consistent tension holding the seated bullet and generally produces rounds of greater accuracy potential. In newly produced brass, even the higher quality brands, neck diameters can vary considerably to the extent sometimes that seated bullets are barely held in place.
Also, it's not unusual to find small neck dings or out of round brass sold in bulk packaging and these definitely need to go through a sizing die.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2029 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the only problem I had with HORNADY BRASS I couldn't get the primers to go in. I broke my primer arm on my RCBS, I had to ream all my primer pockets in new brass

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Posts: 711 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot thousands of rounds yearly in years past and now shoot between 1000 and 1500 rounds a year. I have never resized new brass. I prep the necks inside and out. I use Winchester brass mostly with some Nosler. I do find the Nosler brass primer pockets needing reaming. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take nothing for granted, most new brass is pretty much a semi facsimile of what the case should look like.
your chamber will fix it, but you gotta get it to that stage yourself.

Posts: 4986 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've rarely seen new brass on which the many of the necks were not slightly dented. New brass at least needs to be neck-sized, then chamfered (unless you're a Luddite who unnecessarily crimps in bullets.) It rarely needs FL sizing, but might for some chambers.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I always resize new brass. I don't trust they are the correct size. Just like pre gapped spark plugs LOL, trust but verify. Big Grin

Posts: 751 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
about 17-20 years ago, i noticed that "all" new brass was undersized, but i had worked in the habit of resizing everytime .. this is when i found that nickel plated brass runs larger.

this "problem" went away when i went to progressive presses

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38527 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote