THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do so many pronounce Hornady "horn-a-day"?
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hornady..
HOR nady
horNAdy
hornaDAY

now, tell me why some folks call a sabot a -sah-but? or porsche "porsh" rather than pors schA, or mercedes MERcedes, rather than merCEDes (slide the last 2)...

then folks that say leematt when they are talking of the lamat pistol (lehMAy) or "mini" balls, when the man's name is minnie, produced minNey...

or course, you have this even worse in lousianna.. down south "pierre bossier" is pe-er bosSEa while in shreveport is "pier boscher"

now, tell me how you pronouce hebert or tolovar...

HEbert.. ahBaer
tal-lo-var or to-lo-vay?

last, but not least... if a man's name is GUY is it "guy" or geeh?

ALL of these are correct, of course.. saying it one way is a regional dialect....

oh, back to guns.. drives me BOUNKERS when a fool puts "simpson shul" in a for sale add... there's no JUICE in these guns, and no damn P in the name.. RTFM , or in this case, label..
S I M S O N

and, if you are going to say horn-nahde... you actually have to change it to ORN-ah-de', to have all the phonetics in the same dialect.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the winter Olympics were on in Nagano ,Japan .They asked on t.v ''how do you pronounce it? Nag-a-NO or NagarrNo .So they asked the Nagano city natives, and got a different answer each time !so in the end they said ''pronounce it any way you like !

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by GibR:Showed a guy a Sako (Sayko), the other day and he corrected me as Sock-o. I told him I know the correct way, but no one ever knows what I'm talking about when I say it properly! Wink Wink

You ARE wrong. The Finns pronounce it Sock-o, which means everything else is wrong. Capiche?

HP Shooter,

Reread his post. He said he knows how to pronounce it correctly...

"Showed a guy a Sako (Sayko), the other day and he corrected me as Sock-o. I told him I know the correct way, but no one ever knows what I'm talking about when I say it properly!"

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ole_270:
Try telling someone you hale from Neodesha! Emphisis should be on 1st and last sylibles.

It might help your case if you could use spell correctly.

"Hale" is someone's last name. "Hail" when used in conjuction with a location means "where I am from".

Also, it is "emphasis", not "emphisis".

condescension

n 1: the trait of displaying arrogance by patronizing those considered inferior [syn: superciliousness, disdainfulness] 2: a communication that indicates lack of respect by patronizing the recipient [syn: disdain, patronage]

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
hijack
I got some fishin' buddies from down South.
We meet over in Beaufort,N.C. to terrify the Piers.
They argue w/me over how I say Crappie.Me being a Hick call it CRAP-EE,they say Crop-ee.I drive em crazy when I excuse myself to go take a Crop.

BTW...what BFaucett said. thumb

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Try telling someone you hale from Neodesha! Emphisis should be on 1st and last sylibles.

It might help your case if you could use spell correctly.

"Hale" is someone's last name. "Hail" when used in conjuction with a location means "where I am from".

Also, it is "emphasis", not "emphisis".

HP...you missed "syllables". Ooops Nice try.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My favorite is "reticle".
I usually hear people say "Wrecktickle"

Don't even get started on spelling errors!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Not all folks from the midwest have trouble with proper english......some of us got smarts real good.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Wulp, ifn yoose reed ma pro file, yood no I werk n a schooo in da sa-outh an I hav dun seen sum o da bestest spellins an rernashuns ov da anglesh langige inybude s seed.

This is good guys. BTW, if you can read the above, you might be a southern redneck!!

My wife sells cars. The owner has a Ford dealership, a Nissan dealership, and a Chevrolet dealership. He once told me all about trying to get a Tai-yoter dealership clap!!!

I imagine yanks make fun of rebels speech, but the Boston pak-da-ca takes the cake!!

Okay, I'll relate my post to the original point of the thread too. The gun related fowl up (forgive me, I couldn't resist) that drives me nuts is people who say Ith-a-ker.

I have one question. Is Bill Jordan's name Jerdan or Jordan? Drives me zonkers to hear that guy say Jerdan!!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Rootbeer, Just so, and that's all probably why no yank can pronounce al-u-min-ium (two I's)
...<snip>...
John L.

Well, actually here it's usually spelled aluminum.

al·u·min·i·um noun. Chiefly British. variant of aluminum.
Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

a·lu·mi·num noun. Symbol Al
Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

http://dictionary.reference.com/

-Bob F.

A British variant of English??

Surely 'aluminum' is an American variant of the English 'aluminium'??

Whose language is it anyway?

We have a guy on Aussie eBay who spells Hornady as Horndady - have often wondered if that is how he says it!

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
HP Shooter-
Either I missed some sort of underlying sarcasm in your post, or someone has a reading comprehension problem. I hope for the former.

BFaucett-
Thank you sir.

Regards to all
-Gib

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey poletax, did you git that crat offin your ruff yet! Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
If you though hornady was bad try getting somone to pronouce VihtaVuori powders.

I must admit I called Forster, Foster for a while homer Apparently it helps to read the labels every now and then.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted Hide Post
I know a gun dealer who sells Smith and Western hand guns.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You'd have a nervous break down if you came down here to North Louisiana and Texas.

Heck, folks get quite the kick out of our sayins'. I work down at the Federal Court House and even em' ere' "Up-Tee-Doo" folks say things in our Southern Dialect. Most of these Good Folks around here refer to that Fancy Northern Talkin' as "Em' Damn Yanks, They just don't know how ta Speak at Ya do they? Naw, Shure cain't, reckon it was the way they's brought up"

It's just the common lingo around these parts, even from the edjucated bunch.

One of the most common phrases you'll here around here is "Boy, I tell you what!"

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about Ra-paul-a for Rapp-a-la

and saw-na for Sow-na

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BFaucett
Sorry I offended you. I was typing that while in a hurry, and never proof read it. Off to the reloading room, I do better work there!

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
God bless him:

Nu-cu-ler (nuclear)

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Lest we forget our fearless leader "GW" "Dubbya" "George Jr." "The Pres", who is famous for pronouncing "nuclear" as "nuke-you-lar" instead of "nuke-lee-ur".

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it was another board that had the quiry whether it was Hopp-ies or Hopps. Went on for ages. Opps! Smiler
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rob Crandall
posted Hide Post
You say tomah-toe, I say tomate-o.
Amen!

Posts: 27 | Location: Nerk Ohio | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
You say tomah-toe, I say tomate-o.

Nah, it's Mater like someone else said. In the summer time we dig Taters not Po-Tate-Toes we also eat Tater Chips Big Grin.

Another one that gets me is how some folks say Pee-Cans instead of Puh-cons

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rob Crandall
posted Hide Post
What he said lol

Posts: 27 | Location: Nerk Ohio | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BFaucett
Sorry I offended you. I was typing that while in a hurry, and never proof read it. Off to the reloading room, I do better work there!

ole_270,

Uhhhh???? bewildered My posts were directed at "HP Shooter", not you. Did I miss something? I wasn't offended by anything you posted...

-Bob F. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way back when I was in grade school, my fourth grade teacher was teaching us the correct pronunciation of some basic Spanish words. I'm not shittin', according to him, the correct pronunciation of the word frijoles was "fry joles". I'm not makin' this up.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do so many pronounce Hornady "horn-a-day"?

Jes plane iggerunce Ah recon.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Born to Hunt:
Wulp, ifn yoose reed ma pro file, yood no I werk n a schooo in da sa-outh an I hav dun seen sum o da bestest spellins an rernashuns ov da anglesh langige inybude s seed.
The gun related fowl up (forgive me, I couldn't resist) that drives me nuts is people who say Ith-a-ker.[QUOTE]

Sevile, dardego! T'ao san buzzez inaro! NoJo! Demar trucks! Summit couzin, summit ducks!!

The one what gets me is them ther "muzzle breaks"!! (Just hate a gun with a broken muzzle!!)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Also in the same vein:
Petrocelli for Pedersoli;
Hoggdon for Hodgdon;
swagg or swedge for swage, and swage down when it is draw down and swage up.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16555 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BFaucett
Sorry. I guess it's just not my week for anything. I completely missed that you had the quote from HP.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm from Missouri (Miz oo ree), not Missouri (Miz oo ruh) and I have no ideal what a Mannlicher Sshoenauer (?), but I do know what a man-licker is--usually a good bird dog.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
What's that funny sounding shotgun?? Franchi? or is it Franki?

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
There are also the old favorites...

"crick" for creek

"saut" for salt

and "alnumium" for aluminum

It is not that it takes all kinds, it's that we have all kinds.

flutedchamber

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Damnation!

Who cares about Hornady when more important things are at stake:

The true meaning of SAKO is as follows, and those who cannot pronounce it can say something else.
Suojeluskunnan Ase- ja KOnepaja. There. OK?

If you have to use the abbreviation please try to act in a drunken finn attitude - or like an angry Samurai who spits out his scorn:
Sa (with an A like in LOVE or F-CK) - KO (like the O in SCORN, but mind you very short)
SA KO sort of like F-CK-O!
Today the Italians own the company so we just say "BERETTA".

And yes Mannlicher. Puritans (european kind, mind you) will not be caught saying it without the cough, like when a cat spits out its warning. Man- li-chh (deep throat, ok?) - er
Schöö (like Peter Sellers as Inspector Clueseau - I am an öfficer öf the Lööw) - nauer (exactly like in Konrad Adenauer - you remember the West german Chancellor)

But do not use this in the deep forests of Finland unless heavily armed with what you pronounce!!

Bo - Ha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neva, Ah say neva, has so many worried about so little! sofa

I think some need a full time job, they just have way to much time on their hands! sofa

jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like somes of ya'll needs some cheese within your Whine....HE HE
So, has ya ever wound the bandage around the wound
Or Could he lead if he would just got the lead out

What I really enjoyed was them dang carpetbaggers living in North Louisiana calling sand bass (white bass) bar fish. or Crappie = white perch or red ear perch a chinqapin (who knows if I spelled that one right. and worst of all calling a crawdad a crayfish...and they called me a yankee ????

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bo HA - HAH!

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote