THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Which automatic electronic powder measure / dispenser?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which automatic electronic powder measure / dispenser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am interested in upgrading my reloading kit and am looking to buy a combined electronic powder scale and automatic powder dispenser.

The ones I have seen advertised here in the UK are made by Lyman, RCBS and Hornady.

Which one is preferable: why / what desirable features do they have compared with the others?

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cummins4x4
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman, fast and accurate. No experience with the others.

Posts: 39 | Location: Lethbridge Alberta | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
rcbs IS pact .. yes, virginia, they are the same .. i have the upgraded one, works nice .. little slow for 80-110grs ,.. works good

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have experience with the Lyman DPS3
I would buy the same again.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Lyman and got rid of it. I now have a RCBS and like it much better. A friend of mine has used both and prefers the Lyman. In my experience the Lyman had to be calibrated way more often than the RCBS (my friend agrees with that). I never had confidence in the Lyman.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the RCSB Chargemaster is the bomb. Great with extruded powders. Usually dead on about 95 outa 100 loads using IMR4350.

I never thought I would "need" one. I really am hooked on it. I can be assured all of my rifle loads weigh exactly what I want them to.

Speeds up the process as well. While waiting for the powder to be dispensed I'm seating booolits!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
rcbs IS pact .. yes, virginia, they are the same .. i have the upgraded one, works nice .. little slow for 80-110grs ,.. works good

The Pact and RCBS are no longer the same unit, the RCBS is made in China, Pact is made in Texas, they don't even look alike!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=772151

http://www.pact.com/index.php?...iew&id=14&Itemid=126

Q: Where is the Dispenser manufactured, I heard all this stuff comes from Red China?

A: That is a sore subject around here. None of our products are made "off shore." They are all made right here in Texas. This includes all of our electronic Scales, Shooting Timers, Chronographs and the Powder Dispenser.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman DPS 3. It often says it needs "calibration", but what I've found is that it doesn't really need calibration at all, at least mine doesn't. What's happening is that the measure "overruns" itself and waits too long to stop, putting too much powder in the pan.

I was experimenting with mine just this morning. Every time it would over throw the charge by more than .3 grs, it says "CAL" on it. But if you use a check weight on the scale, it's usually dead on the money. Mine was every time, with both a 50 gr and a 100 gr check weight.

Mine came shipped with an output reducer to slow the flow of powder. I think I'm going to try that and see if it helps it not over throw the powder.

I think it's the result of too many guys bitching that the older units weren't "fast enough", dunno, never had the older unit to compare it to. But the DPS 3 runs at high speed right up to the very last tenth of a grain or so, then tries to "trickle" the last tenth into the pan. This usually causes mine to throw too much into the pan.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love my Chargemaster combo. I only read the section of the manual that covered calibration then off I went.

I don't know why I'd need to "save" any loads. Still scratching my head on that one. Punch 22.5 then 'disp' then seat a bullet while it's doing it's thing. Unless I hit stop/cancel it goes right at 22.5 again as soon as I replace the pan. Can't imagine anything easier. I hate reading manuals.

I also like to use my LNL AP as a semi-progressive. With the chargemaster combo I can do so at a production rate that isn't prohibitively slow.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I do not like about the Lyman is the long warm up time.
I have mine on a seperate bench from my Hornad progressive press and have no issues.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman DPS 3, I love it, While the 30 minute warm up time can be a pain. That is pretty much standard for most dispenser/scale systems like it. I have canceled the warm up calibrated and had no issues. I also use a second digital scale to trickle up to the charge weight.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS Chargemaster!

Check out the review of automatic dispenser/scale combinations on www.6mmbr.com

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/1266096.htm

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers02.html

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman unit and I am very pleased with it. The 30 minute warm up isn't a prob as I usually have 30 minutes of piddling around to do before I get down to it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robthom:
I am interested in upgrading my reloading kit and am looking to buy a combined electronic powder scale and automatic powder dispenser.

The ones I have seen advertised here in the UK are made by Lyman, RCBS and Hornady.

Which one is preferable: why / what desirable features do they have compared with the others?

Here's a previous discussion on digital dispensers. http://forums.accuratereloadin...=884102177#884102177

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen, and ladies?, for sharing your experiences with me.

Based upon the comments of posters here, along with the benchrest shooting website review,it appears the RCBS units have the edge.

I have not seen the PACT units advertised in the UK. This does not mean they are not available in cointry, just I have not seen them in the usual shooting rags.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Pact is only made in a 110 volt version, the RCBS and Lyman are both available in 220 volt as well, so they're available worldwide.

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the RCBS Chargemaster!

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am on my 2nd RCBS, on my way to my 3rd. the electronics go out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used two of the old Lyman Autoscales that utilize the power dispensor onto a balance beam for several years, each with one powder I use frequently. I also got the original Lyman DPS and recently put in the upgrade kit. I also use a Lyman Electronic Scale with the trickeler mounted on it. With this system I can quickly meter out loads with any type powder, after a quick switch of the DPS (that also has several loads in memory) or scale. I wouldn't swap my Lyman systems for anything else. I had the original RCBS Dispensor and scale and had trouble with electronics that pissed me off enough to hollar calf rope. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure like my RCBS.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Another RCBS Combo 1500 user, make that satisfied user Smiler But I have not used the others so no comparison, other than the Combo does everything I ask of it. I let it warm up a few minutes, calibrate, and dispense. While it dispenses I'm also seating a bullet. Sure has saved me a lot of time, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the RCBS.

I'm very happy with mine.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Another fan of the RCBS Chargemaster here.

I bought one in the US & run it off a 110v transformer here in the UK with no problems.

T & J. J. McAvoy Gunsmiths of Wigan are RCBS suppliers in the UK that I would highly recommend if you want a Chargemaster.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

The Pact and RCBS are no longer the same unit, the RCBS is made in China, Pact is made in Texas, they don't even look alike!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=772151

http://www.pact.com/index.php?...iew&id=14&Itemid=126

Q: Where is the Dispenser manufactured, I heard all this stuff comes from Red China?

A: That is a sore subject around here. None of our products are made "off shore." They are all made right here in Texas. This includes all of our electronic Scales, Shooting Timers, Chronographs and the Powder Dispenser.

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!! thumb clap patriot

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every review I've read (and I read a lot of them) the RCBS Chargemaster was heads and shoulders above the Lyman, so that's what I just bought. I've wanted to get one for a long time but just recently did. I've been loading 50bmg all week and don't know how I got by without it. When your dumping 220 grain charges it's sure nice to press a button and have it done for you.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like and use the Pact.
http://pact.com/index.php?opti...m_frontpage&Itemid=1
I allso like the lifetime garente.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 100/200/300 competitive bencchrest. This is the most nit-picking extreme accuracy shooting discipline on the planet. Absolute precise powder charges are a must. Without exception, the RCBS Chargemaster is the best. If there was something better (more accurate) the practioners of this sport would be using it.

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote