New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrading to a digital auto dispencing system
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking to do an upgrade from my balance beam system to a digital and auto dispencing system. Our local retailers carry two major models.
The Lyman 1200 DPS 3 and the RCBS Chargemaster powder dispenser and scale (1500).
Anybody have any pros or cons between the two.
Will they speed up loading time (I weigh every charge) or should I just stick to the ole trusty balance beams and tricklers for accuracy with weighted charges. I do some reloading for the 270 win and high volume reloading for my 204's.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to get an auto dispenser my self.
I can't personally tell you wich is better, but midway has about 60 five star out of five star reviews on the RCBS1500. (some reviews say it has the powder measured out by the time they are able to properly seat a bullet. The reviews are more mixed for the lyman. When I buy one, I will be purchasing the RCBS. Go to www.midwayusa.com and look at and read the reviews. look in reloading, then metalic reloading equipment, then powder mesures and dispensers.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a review, the new Lyman DPS3 is much faster than the DPS 2 that was reviewed at 6mmBR. I've had the DSP2 for a couple yrs, upgraded it to the DSP3, love it! The complaints about it being slow are no longer an issue, it always has the powder ready for me long before I've finished seating a bullet in the previously charged case, the new powder dispensing tube is much bigger and doesn't bind up like the DPS2 model did with some powders. The DPS3 powder box is self cleaning unlike the DPS2 which took a little time to empty the powder. Both the Lyman and RCBS are made in China, so that's a toss up. Considering the DPS3 has only been available for a few months, don't expect a lot of reviews on it at Midway, the DPS3 improvements make it a much improved machine, the Lyman would get my vote again considering it cost $75 less.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000157752400

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=279731&t=11082005

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
not to hijack your thread
BUT has any one tried the software for the DPS and what is in it?
ThanksDave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman 1200 that I put the upgrade kit on and I am very pleased with this, fast and accurate. I've heard some complaints from people but if you keep it away from fans, cell phones and flourescent lights it does exactly what it is supposed to do and it does it pretty fast.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard some complaints from people but if you keep it away from fans, cell phones and flourescent lights it does exactly what it is supposed to do

LOL where are you supposed to use it at then? In the middle of the forest.

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well I set mine up on my coffee table in the living room under incandescent lights, leave my cell phone out of the mix and watch TV while I measure up my loads and put them in a loading block. Works quite well for me and I silenced the audible beeper on mine that tells you when the powder charge is weighed so the whole family can enjoy my company while I measure them out.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have flourescent lighting in my reloading room, they haven't caused a problem, but my cordless phone sure affects it, that's an easy fix, just don't use the phone when I'm running it, not a good time for distractions anyway.

A fan being used in the room can affect any scale, beam or digital.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS.
I like it alot. I use it in this fassion.
After setting it for a given charge weight, and dumping the 1st charge, I put the pan under the spout and hit dispence.
while the next charge is being despenced I seat the bullet. About the time I have seated the 1st bullet the second charge is ready. funnel it into the case , put the pan under the spout hit despence, seat the bullet, and simply repeat this process till I am done.
It is quite fast every charge is weighed
I did a little shooting today. I will size and reprime the brass today and load it tommorow. Its works great for me...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have RCBS 1500 Chargemaster and have to give it a five stars rating. I have checked it many times, it has never been over a tenth of a grain off. I also like RCBS customer service (no questions we fix it). I am sure Lymans is also good. Just my experience with the chargemaster.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had both and this is an easy choice: Buy the RCBS Chargemaster.
My first Lyman belonged to a buddy. It went haywire whenever I talked on my cellphone while it was working (buddy was calling to see how it worked). I gave that one back to him and bought a little later version that didn't seem to be bothered as much by the cell phone for the 3 weeks it worked until it went completely tits up and stopped working period.
I bought a Chargemaster after all the problems with the Lymans and it has worked perfectly for the last couple years, I've used it a Bunch.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my Pact Scale and Dispenser (two pieces)

I can use the scale without having it attached to the dispenser

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ater much research of the many comments I bought an RCBS 1500.It just arrived. So far I have only read the instructions and made a few test runs.
I really like it so far.It dispenses faster than I expected.
My only comment would be when you empty the powder it takes a little 'doing' inspite of the nice handy drain.
berylh

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey berylh

1. Move the dispenser so the drain is next to the edge of the bench
2. Hold the powder bottle under the spigot and open it up
3. Use the long brush to sweep as much as possible down the drain
4. While still holding the bottle under the drain hit the dispense button
5. After the last few grains come out of the drain spigot close it
6. The dispenser should be unloading the last of the powder that was in the tube into the pan
7. If the dispenser slows down you can hit the cancel button, empty the pan, put the pan back on the scale and hit dispense again. It will empty all the powder in the pan.

You are through and haven't spilled a grain! thumb

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I like about my pact dispenser is to empty I just put a funnel in the powder can and pick up the dispenser and dump it out, that easy ! ! ! I would not trade it for either the Lyman ot the RCBS.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Lyman DPSII. It seems good so far apart from the warmup time.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think my Lyman 1200 is the greatest thing since bottled beer. I haven't seen nor operated any of the others so can't compare.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Just did some loads this weekend with my RCBS Chargemaster... It is simply flawless... I was loading for the 338-378 Wby at 104.5 grains and even then it is done dispensing the next load before I'm done seating the bullet thumb... This system simply works...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replys. Looks like either one would be okay. I will probably go with the RCBS Chargemaster. I'm looking forward to some high volume reloading now.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midsouth usually has the best regular price on it, although they're out of stock now.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004498923

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS - bought it a year ago. Really makes me wonder how I ever reloaded before with a scale!

In all actuallity, the cost between the two items isn't that much for a tool that will last what, 20 years?

Anyway, I looked at them both and the RCBS just handled better to me. The RCBS hasn't given me a lick of trouble in the last 8# of powder or so. Great item.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have only used the RCBS but is was a step up from my Lyman beam scale. Is a little slow on the final trickle stage on larger loads (60gr+) but if you are in a hurry (like me), you can help it by gently tapping the dispenser pipe and you will fill cases faster than ever.

Regards
Goran

Browning BAR II Safari .338WM
Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Blaser ES80 cal. 12/.222Rem
Browning B325 cal. 12

Posts: 81 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an older Lyman/AMT Autoscale. One of the complaints people had were how slow they are.
I much prefer the safety of a beam balance. I check the beam setting with RCBS calibration weights. Dispense all the powder charges then verify they are all the same level with a flash light then I seat the bullets.
BTW if I need to go faster it is easy. I just use two scales.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PACT
About half the cost of Lyman or RCBS. Also Lyman and RCBS warranty is only for one year, Pact is lifetime. I have had mine since Pact first came out with zero problems.
Pact now has a sale on the combo for $199.95

Also made in USA. not China

http://www.pact.com/

Lyle

Barry M Goldwater.

One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I love my RCBS chargemaster. I load tons of .44 mag every month and after buying the chargemaster I felt like a moron for not buying one sooner. It sped me up 50% (I am picky about powder charges). The worst part of owning one is my buddies for some reason have brass to load when they stop by.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have an RCBS and I am very happy with mine. Being anal, I weigh my loads on a balance beam after they are dispensed which adds another step to the process. As advertised, it seldom varies more than a tenth of a grain. I still have a hard time keeping up with the thing. It will work you to death. I also wonder why I waited so long to get one. They are great. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote