THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Catastrophic Failure From BLUE DOT DOUBLE CHARGE!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catastrophic Failure From BLUE DOT DOUBLE CHARGE!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
First of all thanks to the Original Poster for having the character to show his mistake to everyone. I'm glad he wasn't seriously injured.

I realize I'm in a distinct minority here but I think Blue-Dot reduced loads are a bad idea.DJ

I agree about the courage.

Blue dot loads are great for turning a .223 into a 218 Bee for shooting ground squirrels all day.
Much longer range and much more power and much cheaper than a 17HMR.
I agree there is some real danger with mistakes.
I have shot thousands.
But with my next thousand, I am going to include probing the case with a nail head to feel the height of powder fill.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two wrongs don't make a right!
Not sure what you mean, vapodog. While I will stay clear of reduced loads, I may want to shoot lead bullets, in which case I can either reduce the case capacity or use Trail Boss or a lighter load of normal rifle powder but the latter limits me to fairly high load density and faily high velocity. Of course, my needs with cast bullets are for faily high power for hunting and I have a hornet for small game, so I am actually well covered.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
First of all thanks to the Original Poster for having the character to show his mistake to everyone. I'm glad he wasn't seriously injured.

I realize I'm in a distinct minority here but I think Blue-Dot reduced loads are a bad idea.DJ

I agree about the courage.

Blue dot loads are great for turning a .223 into a 218 Bee for shooting ground squirrels all day.
Much longer range and much more power and much cheaper than a 17HMR.
I agree there is some real danger with mistakes.
I have shot thousands.
But with my next thousand, I am going to include probing the case with a nail head to feel the height of powder fill.

Maybe you should have bought a 218 Bee or 22 Hornet instead?

BTW I like the signature Monkey Smiler .................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure glad seafire did not Kill you.

And we are glad that we all had availability of your opinion on the subject.... dancing

none of us know what we would do without your guiding hand and access to your limitless and infinite knowledge on handloading.. horse

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote