Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Leek around primer w/ pix
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted
Alright, here are 3 photos of a shell case I shot today. I felt a slight wind on my face with heavy powder smell shortly following. Stronger then normal. I eject the case and smoke rising from the mag well. After thinking for a second I picked up the case as I always do to inspect it. Didn't think anything of the wind(stronger then the wind that was blowing today) on my face. Any advice or tips would be helpful. I m wondering if I went too deeply when trimming the flash hole on the inside. If that is the case, it would be the fist time that happened to me sense I started about 5 months ago.(started trimming the flash hole inside the case)

The ink lines on the case is from marking loads when working up loads. This was at book max load of IMR 45.5 pushing a Hornady 220GR RN Interlock at around 2380FPS. I haven't crunched my numbers yet but around average for the last 5rd shot group.
This is fired from a 1903A3 Springfield in 30-06, why would it be anything else? :P

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could it be a loose primer pocket?Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a little hard to tell with certainty from your photo, but are your primers flattened?

If you have a macro switch on your camera's lens, it should be flipped for close-ups.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Headspace? Primers backing out, leaking and getting reseated maybe? Are those primers tight now? Just wondering. bewildered

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I have been having issues with my press priming operation. It sometimes sticks and or goes in with a hard thud and crunch feel. Its not the primers but the set up its self. So I m going to get in there and clean it all. May have media in it. So I could have used too much force in which could have dented one or both of the components.
Thanks for the help, I ll keep posted whats happening.

The good thing is I was able to find out what powder charges worked the best. Now I need to narrow that down!

I will post more photos later. I m going to use the wife's cam to take the pix of the case better. The primers are a bit flat but no to the point of worry. Maybe a little more flat then normal. One thing I have found with this rifle is that all the primers, no matter what load gets the little rim around the firing pin indent. I wonder if it has anything to do with the style of rifle? Like that little bit of primer is getting a rim from sinking into the bolt though the same hole as the firing pin?
It is a original 1903A3 Springfield.

Well off to work, those kids are not going to teach them selves. Maybe in a perfect world...
Old Fort Western, Living History

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I siwtched over to the lee tool (ther are others out their as well) to put in my primers. It gives me the feel to say if the primer pocket is loose and the brass should be scrapped.

I was never able to develop a good feel on my press to say that, and from your comment on the thud and crunch feel, you might want to consider it.

As to the rim around the firing pin indent, the only time that I see this ( in all of my guns)is when my loads have been a touch on the hot side.

I have never fired a 1903A Spring field though, so perhaps it is normal for this gun?

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
45.5 of what powder?
I`d personly consider the load as too hot until proved otherwise. Primer cratering may be a large fireing pin hole but gas leakage is not normal.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "trimming the flash hole", and what is it that you seek to accomplish by whatever this procedure is?

The primer pocket exhibits the classic appearance of excessive pressure. When they look like this, the primer will usually fall out on its own. Is the primer loose?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornOf some interest is the soot on the body of the case. You'd think that if the pressure were really high that the neck would have given you a good seal. Your pics are not clear enough to see rub marks on the rear of the case. Was there a hard extraction? Could you supply a sharper image of the case rear? digginroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
More info please. Is the brass new, what was the powder type? Typically, that is a sign of over pressure loads. The primer pockets expands because the pressure is too high & the primer leaks gas.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what powder?
the offcenter strike and apparent cratering are indicative of an oversized firing pin hole.

in the top left pic, it is obvious that the brass was scraped(right hand about 2 o'clock till about 5:30)

if 45.5 grains was a book load, it looks like it was actually more powder in that case.. are you throwing or weighing charges

if this was a new case, did you happen to put large PISTOL primers in, as gas leaks generally don't happen on new cases... that is, they don't look like this in new cases, the primers are flattened and flowed on new cases if there's a leak

here's what I think, and its worth what you pay for it

the load was "new to you" and too hot for your gun and the brass had previously been shot with some too warm loads.. and, perhaps, your scale is slightly out of whack/your thrower is, and you got an overcharge ... that is to say, its a combination of small things that added up ... i had a like thing happen with nickle 708 cases

tear down three of the remaining cases and weigh the charges...

say, did you start with a book max load, for a first time with that powder/bullet/brass/primer combo?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39714 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
primer seating and flashhole cleaning don't have much to do with this one

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39714 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poster sez black marks on the case are ink marks for case id.
I think overzealous primer pocket work or repeated use of red-line loads. Since the primer is not punctured, I'm gonna GUESS that the primer pocket has been enlarged thru repeated red line loads or too much primer pocket work.
If the primer was loose enough to get wind and smoke past it from around the primer, the poster should have felt a destinct difference when he seated the primer. If he is using a press to seat his primers, he needs to get a Lee or other hand operated device so he can "feel" the primer going home. IMO

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey James, I see "stillbeeman" has the answer similar to what I'd have given you. He is correct that you should have been able to "feel the difference" when Seating the Primers - OR - your last Load was well beyond MAX for those Cases.

However, the feel of the Primer Seating should have told you that Blow-By was rapidly approaching. Basically Primer Seating had EVERYTHING to do with telling you ahead of time there was a problem ready to appear.

I've done it too, and stillbeeman's suggestion to get a Hand Held Primer Seater is an excellent way to detect the issue. They allow a better "feel" of the Pressure required to Seat the Primers.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
Poster sez black marks on the case are ink marks for case id.

Missed that. Thanks. But still would like sharper pics. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Sorry about not IDing the powder, I was in a rush to get out the door for work and forgot to fill in the hole name. (although ended up waiting on a car accident to clear)
The powder is IMR 4064. That is book max. I hardly ever touch the high end of pressures. I just see no need to keep red lining it.
The only marks on the case are normal ware, nothing new or different. The case was easy to remove like the 28 shots before.
Now I shoot mostly lead and so I have been using mid range loads of pistol powder for my lead. But I m going to stick to IMR 3031. Take up more case space and less playing with pistol powder in rifles. Just makes me uneasy. The only thing that would have pushed my case over would have been Unique powder.
As for metering my powder. I always weigh every shot on my RCBS 5-0-5 scale with a powder trickler.
Unlike this post from this morning I never hurry to finish my ammo. I always do it the right way. If I have to go make a note pick up and come back when I have more time.

New Photos will be on the next post. Got to beg the wife to use new Didi cam, of cores its better then mine. All my cash goes into guns and ammo loading supply's!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are getting crunching when seating primers your need to stop and fix the problem right then.
You should decap this primer by hand and examine it with a magnifying glass. Check to see if the skirt was notched or folded over by the seating problem. Then check the primer pocket with a new primer to see if it was expanded. No rocket science is required. If you can push it in with a bare finger the pocket is too loose.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
fter attempting to clean the case, I pocked and pulled at the primer. Nothing, thought it was in there good. I laid it flat to wipe off the base and heard a click. So I used my finger nail again and pulled at it. Cannot see it or feel it move. But again Click! So It seems to be a loose primer pocket, must have been used in somewhere around 20 shots. I hardly never Max my loads out, no need to in my opinion. Most rifles are/were not designed to push max loads for there BEST accuracy.
Again that was only my opinion.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post

Thanks for all your help and opinions!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatcha' do, is push out the old one and see how a new one fits.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I think I m going to scratch off this one. I have about 115 cases for the old-06. I see this one becoming a wind chime soon.
Better safe then sorry.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Kain:
...I shoot mostly lead and so I have been using mid range loads of pistol powder for my lead. But I m going to stick to IMR 3031. Take up more case space and less playing with pistol powder in rifles. Just makes me uneasy. ...
Hey James, I'd "guess" the Pistol Powder was what initially caused the problem. Dr. Oehler recently posted on this Board how you can get a 50% Pressure Increase simply due to Powder Position. It is perhaps the most compelling reason, from an unquestionable source, for not using Pistol Powders in rifle cases. Well, that plus the Ka-Booms.

Any of those Cases you used Pistol Powder in are now suspect. I'd encourage you to pay close attention to how much effort it takes to Seat Primers in them. Use a "New" Case for comparison so you can get a "feel" for it.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Thanks HotCore! I ll check out that post Wink

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
What do you mean by "trimming the flash hole", and what is it that you seek to accomplish by whatever this procedure is?

The primer pocket exhibits the classic appearance of excessive pressure. When they look like this, the primer will usually fall out on its own. Is the primer loose?

Sorry, here this is the tool and methed I m talking about. Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer

NRA LIFE MEMBER