New
Find
Notify
Tools

case capacity?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which brass has more case capacity (holds more water)? Winchester or Remington? Specifically for the 30-06. Thankyou.

Chuck

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I always found Norma to have the most in the 280. Can't say between your two. Sorry

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Winchester brass takes about 1/2gr more powder to reach the same velocity/pressure sign as Rem brass. There for the Win brass has a larger capacity.
If your thinking about going with the "higher capacity" brass in order to squeeze in more powder behind the bullet, you must also remember that higher capacity brass also requires more powder just to get to the same point. The most efficient (in terms of velocity/gr) brass would be the thick walled (lower capacity) military stuff.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tailgunner, but no that is not my intent. I've been a fan of Winchester brass for a long time, but lately, well I think it's going south in quality. So I was going to pick up some RP brass and give it a whirl and it looks like I'll dump a grain less powder in the case to get started.

Chuck

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersJust took water weights in three 30-06 cases; RP, WW Super, Win

• Rp = 68.9gr

• W-W = 70.4gr.

• Win = 70.1 gr.

These were all fired in the same rifle and bottle brushed internally. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote