The Accurate Reloading Forums
case capacity?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/762104465

04 November 2006, 06:38
Chuck Nelson
case capacity?
Which brass has more case capacity (holds more water)? Winchester or Remington? Specifically for the 30-06. Thankyou.

Chuck
04 November 2006, 07:03
ramrod340
I always found Norma to have the most in the 280. Can't say between your two. Sorry

As usual just my $.02
Paul K
04 November 2006, 17:48
Tailgunner
IIRC, Winchester brass takes about 1/2gr more powder to reach the same velocity/pressure sign as Rem brass. There for the Win brass has a larger capacity.
If your thinking about going with the "higher capacity" brass in order to squeeze in more powder behind the bullet, you must also remember that higher capacity brass also requires more powder just to get to the same point. The most efficient (in terms of velocity/gr) brass would be the thick walled (lower capacity) military stuff.
04 November 2006, 20:26
Chuck Nelson
Thanks Tailgunner, but no that is not my intent. I've been a fan of Winchester brass for a long time, but lately, well I think it's going south in quality. So I was going to pick up some RP brass and give it a whirl and it looks like I'll dump a grain less powder in the case to get started.

Chuck
04 November 2006, 22:15
Tailgunner
thumb
04 November 2006, 23:19
bartsche
cheersJust took water weights in three 30-06 cases; RP, WW Super, Win

• Rp = 68.9gr

• W-W = 70.4gr.

• Win = 70.1 gr.

These were all fired in the same rifle and bottle brushed internally. beerroger

• Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..