Notify
Tools

Don't you hate it when ...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
you dump your new loads with varying powder weights and powders!!!! Mad

I made up 9 5-shot rounds using 4 different powders and varying powder charges. Well, yesterday I was able to shoot 5 of those sets with 4 left to shoot another day. Last night when inputing my data into my Excel spreadsheet, I dumped the remaining 4 sets. I don't know how it happened, but my ammo case came tumbling off my desk.

I remember someone posting on here before about dumping an ammo box like I did and saying something to the effect ... "it will happen." I thought yeah right! You can add me to that club now!!! homer

Guess I'll pull the bullets and try to match up the powders that I can and throw the rest on the lawn as fertilizer. This sucks!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
can you weight them on a scale or do they weigh to close to the same.

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
can you weight them on a scale or do they weigh to close to the same.

You know that's a damn good idea!!!

Of the 4 sets I have remaining, I have podwer charges of 70.8 gr N-160, 72.4 gr RL19, 76.2 gr Magnum and 76.6 gr Magnum.

I would think the N-160 and RL19 should work themselves out. The Magnum charges might be a bit harder to differentiate. Worth a try though! Thanks for the idea!!!!!

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
when I do set like that I mark the case bottom with a sharpi colored marker each set has its own color.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
when I do set like that I mark the case bottom with a sharpi colored marker each set has its own color.
Dave

+1 I've had others scramble my loads at the range while they were "just looking." But usually I wind up knocking them off the bench or the lid comes off the container they're in. The color-coding works like a champ.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I color the case heads with magic markers or put a stripe around the case body to differentiate loads. That way I can also look at the fired cases as a group later even if they get dumped in to one bag.

Greg

PS: I also mark my specific loads for different rifles as each varmint gun I shot likes different loads even if they like the same bullet. In the heat of a PD frenzy ALL 223's look the same!! dancing

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
and if you are color impaired, Roll Eyes I also use a sharpie (black) and number them.

Rich

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you dump your new loads with varying powder weights and powders!!!!

+1

Having handloaded for thirty plus years, lately, I have been sticking cases in my resizing dies. Boy that's aggrivating!!!! Mad

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird ----- Load four cases exactly as you loaded the sets, weigh them and see is you can determine the mixed up cases from each other. Don't feel bad, load long enough and everything will happen sometimes. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I typically load four-round "sets" and put five of them in a 20-round cartridge box. I then put masking tape on the cartridge carrier with the charges marked in ink. It is a simple chore to pull and shoot "the right four"; we all typically start at one end of a box and move systematically through it, don't we?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Color the primers
Blue, black, red and green. Leave one set uncolored. If you need more colors, dot the primers instead of full coloring them.
Write down the load data in the same color as the primer is colored. easiest method I've found

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I never try more than 4 or 5 loads at one time. Too many variables confuse the heck out of me!

I pick the bullet, then powder & charges. 3 or 4 loads is usually adequate to find the most precise / accurate load.

If required, I change powder with the next lot of loads.

In the last 10 years, my load development usually stops at about 30 rounds

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aliveincc:
Color the primers
Blue, black, red and green. Leave one set uncolored. If you need more colors, dot the primers ...
Same here. Plus by using a Dot, you can get two colors on one Primer if needed.

I do it because I also have "first hand experience" with dropping Test Cartridges. Mad

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just write the load on the side of each case with a sharpie. No trying to decipher color codes months later if load development is delayed. Hasn't caused any problems.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too much accounting. I put each different load in a sandwich baggie along with a post it giving me the vital detes of what's in the bag.
As I shoot a group, I put the empties back in the baggie to look over when I get back to the shack.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I had a good friend accompany me to the range one day while I was load testing a rifle. He started "looking" at the ammo, and yup, put them back just anywhere in the ammo box.

Every since that day, I've written the load basics on the side of the case on each bullet as I load them, right after I seat the bullet. Now there's no worries about mixing up the rounds.

One of the very few good uses for Hoppes #9 is that it works great for getting the sharpie ink back off the brass when all is done.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of coloring the primers. After my little episode last night, I do believe I'll be doing that in the future!!!

Graybird

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
Dave

I do the same. Or I use a dry erase marker on the side of the case.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by aliveincc:
Color the primers
Blue, black, red and green. Leave one set uncolored. If you need more colors, dot the primers ...
Same here. Plus by using a Dot, you can get two colors on one Primer if needed.

I do it because I also have "first hand experience" with dropping Test Cartridges. Mad

That's my system.... plus, there's nothing to clean off the case once you de-cap.

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having handloaded for thirty plus years, lately, I have been sticking cases in my resizing dies. Boy that's aggrivating!!!!

So, you've recently taken to using a spray lube?

I simply number all my test loads on the lower body with a black Sharpie. My load notes say what each load is, leaving space for the velocity of each round and space between loads for notes of speed average and group size, etc. Quick, painless and insures I can keep the loads in order no matter what happens.

Alcohol wipes the ink off easily.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, you've recently taken to using a spray lube?

Yes, I had recenty switched over to the Dillon Spray thinking that would solve my problem and it didn't. I guess it's back to the old reliable green RCBS lube pad.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
SHARPIE to mark the various loads ..
1 2 3 4 5 stripes helps me fine ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38498 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Too much accounting. I put each different load in a sandwich baggie along with a post it giving me the vital detes of what's in the bag.
As I shoot a group, I put the empties back in the baggie to look over when I get back to the shack.

I do that, but I keep a stickyback label with the load data in the bag. The rounds get put in the bag right after they come out of the press. As the group is being shot, I put the sticky into my log book. I also write down the velocities and other data on the page. When finished, I also put the target onto the page.

I may start adding Sharpie marks as well.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 86thecat:
I just write the load on the side of each case with a sharpie. No trying to decipher color codes months later if load development is delayed. Hasn't caused any problems.

Exactly what I have always done - zero possibility of making a mistake. Can more closely inspect the brass and primers back at home and log what I find before cleaning them up in the tumbler or with some acetone.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote