signs of pressure?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core

As Alf says, you always fail to answer the question while tap dancing. Your response to my post to Saeed is most interesting as you were not asked any question. A lot of tap dancing for nothing.

It is abundantly clear to every one here that you, tnekkcc and a couple of your ardent followers are of the opinion that if one wants to work up maximum loads (whether "book" maximums" or loads to thier maximum safe potential the ONLY way to do it is to load to case failure (CHE) and then back off. Many of us have learned (some of us have learned the hard way by damaging firearms and/or injuring ourselves) that that is not the smart or safe way to reload. You are certainly welcome to continue not being smart nor safe as it is a free country.

Most of us will continue to advise other reloaders of the safe way to reload. That does not necessarily mean that we must stay within the "book" and be "ignorant" or " stupid" as tnekkcc mentions in his "Count how many times I have insulted someone and you will find none" thought process (he can't even be honest with himself so how do we expect anything else but inhonesty with us). It is entirely possible to exceed many "book" load pressures safely (in appropriate actions) using ordinary reloading methods without going to case failure. Tnekkcc and you seem to think that going to case failure (CHE) is the only way to do this. It is not. I regularly excede even level 3 loads for the 45-70 in my Siamese Mauser and have been doing so for years (just one example). I have not had to resort to a case head failure (CHE) to tell me when enough is enough. It is the chronograph and recoil from the 8 1/2 lb rifle that tells me when enough is enough.

BTW; I have the blade micrometer and have used CHE and PRE when they were first discussed in the late '60s and early '70s. There were several individuals like Bob Hagel who were working with it before Rick Jamison "went public" with PRE and CHE in the February, 1983 issue of Shooting Times. However since that time the use of both CHE and PRE have been discreditied as unreliable and unsafe. To prove this is simply done by most anyone, not just big name writers. I know you think Denton is dumb and stupid but his test was valid and demonstrated the invalidity of CHE and PRE quite well. I do indeed count myself as "dumb as Denton" as you have said I am. He obviously is really a pretty intelligent guy so I appreciate your comment comparing me to him.

You and your few followers may use CHE and PRE to your hearts content. However everytime you advise some new reloader to use it I will call BS and point out that going to case failure is not the safe, wise or smart thing to do.

Tnekkcc feels he must go to case failure with every cartridge he loads for and then back off. That way he thinks maximises the cartridge's potential. I'll bet I can get to the same maximised potential he gets to without going to case failure. I'll be a lot safer getting ther and won't damage my rifles either. I'll also bet that some of his "maximised" loads are still in the proof load area pressure wise. He may find those "proof" loads safe while hunting or shooting but small things like a hot day can put such loads over the edge. Tnekkcc is unwise and his methods of load developement are unsafe.

One last note; You really need to reread these threads. You actually have it backwards with; " Strange that it is ALWAYS OK for them to go on personal attacks when it comes to me, but when I return it, some folks do seem to get upset. But, just like you, I do "prefer" to remain civil."

It is you, Hot Core, and tnekkcc who always come out with personal attacks when others are trying to keep the discussion civil.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

This is one of the most stupid, ignorant, rude, and uncalled for post I have seen for a long time.

tnekkcc,

What is your problem?

The problem in discussing pressure in handloading is the confusion of pressure and the effects of pressure.
There is a breakdown in communicating to some people that measuring pressure is not an end in itself, but rather a means of assuring that certain effects of pressure are avoided.

That breakdown, over the course of this thread, has caused me to show great patience in tolerating personal insult after personal insult, while I maintained my pleasant demeanor.

Ken's name wan invoked in the course of me tolerating all these poor manners.

Ken appeared and jumped in on the side of the poor manners people in a partisan way.

The only thing rude about my post, is I point out Ken's financial motivation in managing his customers risk perception.

Re read the entire thread from my point of view, and you will see what I mean.

Do a count on how many times I have been insulted in the thread, including your post, Saeed, and you will find dozens.

Count how many times I have insulted someone and you will find none.

I don't need to insult anyone, as I am usually right, and thrilled and curious to find out when I am wrong.

I have been through the same sort of problem in engineering again and again, where someone is angry, and they must be broken down with the question, "What is it that you really want to accomplish here?" When they finally redefine the goal, they are finally free of going in the wrong directions. Measuring pressure in a strong rifle with a strain gauge for personal handloading is just such a mistake, if the goal is to find the max load before the limit of the brass. The catharsis of an individual coming to grips with redefining their goal may be a threshold some will get through and some will not. That painful threshold is what causes all those personal insults [that you just counted, right?] aimed at me.

Well, I just went through this whole thread, looking for all the posts Ken Oehler made, and read them all.

I did not see a single instance where he has mentioned you in any way at all!

So my previous commentm still stands, you have no business insulting anyone who has not gotten into an argument with you.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Gibson:
...As Alf says, you always fail to answer the question while tap dancing. Your response to my post to Saeed is most interesting as you were not asked any question. A lot of tap dancing for nothing.
My post that larry was speaking about really wasn't directed to him. Simply stating a position as I see it and that is why I enjoy this site - no thought police to tell me or anyone else what we can post to and what we can't.

Actually, I quit responding to alf a long time ago in a thread about Bullets and how they perform. Obviously that really needs to be the way I handle anyone who starts off with the character attacks.

quote:
It is abundantly clear to every one here that you, tnekkcc and a couple of your ardent followers are of the opinion that if one wants to work up maximum loads (whether "book" maximums" or loads to thier maximum safe potential the ONLY way to do it is to load to case failure (CHE) and then back off.
No folks, what is abundently clear is that for whatever reason, larry has misread, chosen not to understand, or is simply not able to understand regular old English.

CHE does not equate to Case Failure. In fact, if used properly, it totally prevents Case Failure - unlike chronographs, HSGSs, reading Primers, reading Bolt Lift, etc.

quote:
Tnekkcc and you seem to think that going to case failure (CHE) is the only way to do this.
And wrong again!

quote:
...I have not had to resort to a case head failure (CHE)
And still a totally wrong comment. If anyone is reading this that lives near larry, I'd encourage you to call him up and explain that Case Failure and CHE are not the same.

quote:
It is the chronograph and recoil from the 8 1/2 lb rifle that tells me when enough is enough.
Obviously shifted to "humor".

quote:
BTW; I have the blade micrometer and have used CHE and PRE when they were first discussed in the late '60s and early '70s. There were several individuals like Bob Hagel who were working with it before Rick Jamison "went public" with PRE and CHE in the February, 1983 issue of Shooting Times. However since that time the use of both CHE and PRE have been discreditied as unreliable and unsafe.
The "humor" really is quite funny. rotflmo

quote:
I know you think Denton is dumb and stupid but his test was valid and demonstrated the invalidity of CHE and PRE quite well. I do indeed count myself as "dumb as Denton" as you have said I am. He obviously is really a pretty intelligent guy so I appreciate your comment comparing me to him.
denton pretty intelligent??? Anyone care to tell us "Who" was the fellow that gave the Board The World's Most Ignorant Reloading Suggestion??? That thread speaks volumes about actual Reloading knowledge.

Actually, I can't even imagine larry following that massive portion of "denton's wisdom", but....

quote:
You and your few followers may use CHE and PRE to your hearts content.
Sure nice to recieve "larry's permission". But for those of you reading along, his permission isn't needed.

quote:
However everytime you advise some new reloader to use it I will call BS and point out that going to case failure is not the safe, wise or smart thing to do.
Apparently larry is hung in a rut. We all know the time-proven CHE/PRE Methods work better than anything else ever conceived at giving first-hand Pressure Indications. Granted though, CHE/PRE is not much for those desiring the "oohing and aawing"! nilly

quote:
Tnekkcc feels he must go to case failure with every cartridge he loads for and then back off. That way he thinks maximises the cartridge's potential.
Amazing how I get an entirely different idea of what tnekkcc is doing with his Failure Load Analysis. But, then there is a HUGE difference - I read his posts and understand what he is actually doing.

quote:
(tnekkcc)... may find those "proof" loads safe while hunting or shooting but small things like a hot day can put such loads over the edge. Tnekkcc is unwise and his methods of load developement are unsafe.
This gets deeply into the comprehension problem. Does anyone have a Link to where tnekkcc "recommends" that anyone use a Load "Designed for Case Failure Analysis" as a Hunting, Target or Plinking Load???

quote:
It is you, Hot Core, and tnekkcc who always come out with personal attacks when others are trying to keep the discussion civil.
As I sit here looking at that, perhaps "English" is not larry's primary language. Everyone already knows me as "Amiable" old Hot Core. animal

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Well, I just went through this whole thread, looking for all the posts Ken Oehler made, and read them all.

I did not see a single instance where he has mentioned you in any way at all!

So my previous commentm still stands, you have no business insulting anyone who has not gotten into an argument with you.

You may be right about Ken not insulting me, but have you noticed how many insults I received from others?

quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey tnekkcc, Most ANYTIME a person agrees with my thoughts, or even appears to, it seems to be very difficult for some folks who disagree to remain civil.

Strange that it is ALWAYS OK for them to go on personal attacks when it comes to me, but when I return it, some folks do seem to get upset. But, just like you, I do "prefer" to remain civil.

And, I still prefer this to the Boards with the Thought Police squads.
-----

Also look forward to ANY "non-biased" Test Results concerning the non-calibrated, guessed at dimension HSGSs when compared with the excellent, time proven CHE/PRE. thumb clap

My theory about the uncountable insults directed at Hot Core and Tnekkcc posts is that being wrong is painful.

These are good posters, turned bad by pain.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may be right about Ken not insulting me, but have you noticed how many insults I received from others?

So if someone insults you, you take it out on someone else?

Does not say much for whoever is doing it, though!

Now, if we discuss the SUBJECT at hand, without name calling, I am sure everyone might learn something.

And no matter how much more we THINK we know, we should keep an open mind, we just might get to scratch our heads more often.

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many participants in this thread have been hit in the face by gas from a failed case?
I have had a gas in the face from a shot shell that split around the rim. I have no interest in any loads that might come close to causing a case head failure in a center fire rifle.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
What did it do to you? We had a guy get his thumb hurt from a shotgun barrel that suddenly blew a small penhole in it just in front of the barrel.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
I wonder how many participants in this thread have been hit in the face by gas from a failed case?...

I have received just a bit of gas and debris when a primer cracked on korean surplus in a garand. enough for me! maybe I'm not advanced enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright Hot Core, since you don't know when to quit I shall respond to the ignorance of your comparison;

quote:
Hey Larry, My compliments on your post. Seems like a good bunch of first-hand experience in it.

I'll take a few minutes and compare it to the best Pressure Indication Method of all times - good old CHE & PRE.

quote:
...I also have a M43 Personal Ballistics Lab. I am currently runing tests on .308/7.62 and 30-06.
Cost would be a consideration for most folks, so you can get new 0.0001" capable Micrometers for about $25. And if a person looks around in Pawn Shops they can get the Thin Blade 0.0001" capable Micrometers fairly reasonable - I got mine for $25.

Total cost for CHE & PRE = $50 - maybe $75.
Totalcost for a HSGS + laptop = $$$BIG$$$

Advantage CHE/PRE or HSGS?

You're first mistaken assumption is that information obtained by CHE//PRE is correct information (other than you have exceded pressure limits) is equal to information obtained from the use of a M43. Based on that erroneous assumption you then give a cost comparison. That is not a valid comparison at all. And I did not say that all reloaders should get a M43. You assumption of that is incorrect. You further ignore the main gist of this thread which was about the use of chronographs to develop loads safely. Chronographs are quite reasonably priced. Chronographs also provide accurate information which CHE/PRE does not. Plus you totally ignore the several times I've stated I have the blade micrometers and have been measuring CHE/PRE since the late '70s. You also consistantly ignore the fact that myself and many others have found CHE/PRE to be totally unreliable. Complain that you will that we can not use micrometers or some such excuse but the fact remains; CHE/PRE have been consistantly proven to be unreliable. If one spends money on a chronograph it is money well spent. If one spends money to measure what is known to be erroneous then there is no cost advantage.

quote:
I have a strain guage attached to one .223 barrel; a TC Contender Carbine ... Only two of my .223 rifles have enough of the short .223 chamber part of the barrel sticking out in front of the reciever; the TC and a M70.
Very interesting point. Which also brings to mind Revolvers(rotating cylinders) and Pistols(Chambers enclosed by the Upper). How would a person easily go about attaching the Strain Gauge and wiring for a HSGS on these common firearms? Of course, not being able to see the Chamber, having it rotate, or too short to extend far enough to attach a Strain Gauge is of no concern for CHE/PRE.

Here you really demonstrate your ignorance of the M43 Personal Ballistic Laboratory. You obviously do not know of it's capabilities.. Perhaps if you emailed Dr. Oehler he would send you the manual to read. He probably would also send the test he did. You might learn something if you'd bother to read them. You can "easily" attach strain guages to revolver cylinders to measure pressure that's how one does it. No you can't attach the strain guage to a chamber that completely covers the chamber no more so in a pistol than with the M788 mentioned. Had you really known anything about the M43 system you would know that. The fact that you make the statement demonstrates you ignorance of the subject. BTW; how many pressure measuring systems can you attach to a pistol with the chamber covered? The answer is none. So you have a point here? The manufacturers use regular test barrels for pressure measurement of revolver (many revolver test barrels are "vented" to simulate the barrel cylinder gap) and pistol ammunition. Nothing prevents taking the measurement of any revolver or pistol load in a Contender/Encore barrel if one wants to with the M43. Still a much better method than loading a pistol cartridge to case failure (CHE) just to get some measurement. What does that type of battering do to the slide and frame?

quote:
Read the instructions and go through the familiarization part with the computor hooked up.
I agree there is a real advantage to getting the best possible data by following the Instructions, whether it is the excellent, time-proven, never-fail CHE/PRE or a HSGS. But, you really do not need a computer, nor do you need to lug one to the Range with CHE/PRE while it does seem to be a requirement with any HSGS.

CHE/PRE is not "time proven but conversely has over time been proven quite unreliable. the computor does not need "lugging and it makes the record keeping quite nice. It also instantly computes much additional information. Does CHE/PRE give you the velocity of each shot, the average velocity of the string or the SD & ES of the string? A chronograph will. The M43 additionally tells me the time of flight, the down range velocity, computes the BC, gives the peak pressure in psi (read Dr. Oehlers test before you open your mouth and say it doesn't give the psi or come up with a ammuntion test as well done as his that says it doesn't - please don't come up with some musical amplifier instrument test that is not relevent), gives me the area and rise (numerically and graphically) of the time pressure curve and gives me the averages of all the above plus the SD & ES of each. Does your CHE (it's really not yours yo know) do any of that. No, CHE only tells you when you have exceded pressures and it doesn't even tell you what they are.

quote:
Pay close attention to the required information for the test templates. I made a spread sheet (after mucking it up the first use) that records all required information on the firearm used. Do this prior to going to the range (best to take measurements when the rifle is apart to apply the strain guage).
I agree that having some form of Data Entry Sheet is needed at some point with both. However, you don't have to take your rifle apart to ease any portion of using CHE/PRE.

Hmmmm, I guess you never take your rifles apart? Well, again your ignorance shows. The only reason you take the rifle apart is IF you want to attach the strain guage under the barrel for cosmetic purposes. It is not a requirement but a simple personal choice. Read the manual before you shoot your mouth off.

quote:
Connect the M43 to your laptop to make sure it will "initialize" with your computor. The range is not the place to discover this won't happen and how to make it happen. Also plug in the strain guage cables you have affixed to rifles to see if the connextion/guage is good to go. A screen will tell you.
No need for a Laptop at the Range with CHE/PRE.

Already covered. The redundency of your ignorance of the system shows itself again.

quote:
Make test templates of the ammo you are going to test BEFORE you go to the range. Enter as much data on the ammo and rifle as you can (that will be most of it except for a couple screen measurements and the weather data.
It looks like this is what I call a Load Data Sheet. Good advice to pre-enter as much as you can on it before going to the Range.

Advantage CHE/PRE or HSGS? I'd call it a draw.

And who ever said you weren't smart......

quote:
Have a means for accurate weather measurements at the range.
Larry seems to be implying the HSGS Data can be greatly effected by the Weather. Weather also affects the Pressure Indications of CHE/PRE due to the effects on the Powder.

If you are using CHE/PRE, there is no need to establish a satellite weather link and down-load the critical weather parameters for the Data to be useful. If it is HOT, wipe the sweat off your brow, if it is cold, put on a coat, if it begins raining stick the Micrometer in with your ammo carrier, make two quick trips to the truck and set back watching the HSGS users in a complete panic, falling over wires and dumping the laptop into the mud.

Again your ignorance of the system shows itself with your accusation of; "Larry seems to be implying the HSGS Data can be greatly effected by the Weather". The weather data is for the ballistics computation. Oh, that's right, you don't really know anything about the M43 system or the data it provides do you? Otherwise you would know that the "lugged to the range laptop" with the M43 program also instantly provides very accurate ballistic data that can be used right there and then. Of course with any good ballistics program the data is more reliable if you input real time data (weather , etc.). Again, if you knew what you were talking about before shooting off your mouth you would know that. BTW; What kind of ballistic data does your CHE provide you?

quote:
Have a GOOD 100' measuring tape.
This may be useful to see how far you toss the HSGS, but is no use for CHE/PRE.

This is your attempt at humor? Apparently everyone but you knows that accurate measurements put into computor programs means accurate data is recieved. Measuring screen placement is one of these. Oh, that's right, silly me forgot you haven't read the manual and thus really don't know what you're talking about. Sorry, I'll try to remember.

quote:
Plan on a couple test runs (rehersals) to the range testing some ammo before serious testing of good ammo. You will forget something. Make a check list of things needed at the range from these test runs and use it. This will save you time and frustration when serious testing begins.
rotflmo I've done that too. It is possible to forget stuff. Stick the Micrometers in with the Ammo. Then if you make it to the Range with the Ammo, firearms and Targets, you are ready to get good Data.

Good data? With CHE? Hardly........

quote:
I have made 4 trips to the range with my M43 so far. The first two I did not follow the above advice and the readings were not correct. I had forgotten things, did not have the extra gear I needed and was to distracted. The distractions come from trying to figure out how to set it up at your range and other shooters coming over, asking questions and ooohing and aaawing.
If you are into ooohing and aaawing, then the HSGS and all the associated and asundry boxes, gizmos, wires and space requirements should make your day.

Oohing and aawing advantage? HSGS

What can I say, you were bound to get something right.

quote:
I sat down and spent two more days rehersing with the M43 program on the computor, developing the check list and making the spreadsheet with correct information on it. The last two trips went like clockwork. I had every thing I needed, I knew how to set up, I was able to pay attention to what I was doing and answer questions and I had all the required information to enter in the last required information.
Excellent advice. With CHE/PRE, it takes about 2hrs to get the prep work done the "First" time.

Having used CHE/PRE again you are correct, you do "get it done". However the "data" collected is misleading and hopefully you haven't followed tnekkcc's example and loaded until primers blow and have not damaged yourself or your firearm.

quote:
Plan enough time to complete the test(s) without hurrying.
This is also excellent advice. I like to take 5-6 firearms when I go so the Barrles can be cooling between shooting. Uh-oh, that would mean unwinding wires, hooking-up, then unhooking, rewinding and repeating for each and every firearm if you are oohing and aawhing them with an HSGS. With CHE/PRE, you just set the firearm you are using aside and pick up the next one.

Oh oh...after two correct answers you show your ignorance again. Read the direction in the manual or you might even accompany someone who has a M43 to the range. Today I fired 22 test strings through 4 rifles using the M43. You only unreel the one wire from the down range screens and plug it into the M43 once. You only plug in the muzzle screens into the M43 once. Each rifle has a small cable with a phone plug in on it. You only have to plug that into the M43, quite easy actually. I swtched rifles between each string and it took nothing to accomplish. I would think that as well as you can use a micrometer that even you could do it without problem. You would know that if you were familiar with the system. But then you would have shown your ignorance again by shooting off your mouth.

quote:
Be consistiant with your testing technique and shooting technique. I clean the barrel between each 10 shot string. I may or may not shoot 2 foulers depending on whether I want the cold, clean bore info included in the test. Cleaning the rifle also slows me down, cools the barrel, lets me reflect on the data input and it lets me put up a new target (it's a small window through the down range screens at 100 yards) as I only shoot one test per target.
You are not "shooting through" anything with CHE/PRE, but hopefully your groups will be small. thumb

No Advantage

No you do not shoot through anything with CHE/PRE which is why they don't tell you anything other than you've exceded pressures.
-----

Nice post Larry.

Thank you Hot Core.

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:

That breakdown, over the course of this thread, has caused me to show great patience in tolerating personal insult after personal insult, while I maintained my pleasant demeanor.

...which were in response to yours. You've been insulting since page 2.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

[SNIP]

of the opinion that if one wants to work up maximum loads (whether "book" maximums" or loads to thier maximum safe potential the ONLY way to do it is to load to case failure (CHE) and then back off. Many of us have learned (some of us have learned the hard way by damaging firearms and/or injuring ourselves) that that is not the smart or safe way to reload.Larry Gibson

In a lot of these arguements, people seem to exaggerate, take out of context, whatever.
Now, I know nothing about pressure or engineering, and so far have not used a pressure test device, or pre or che as such.

I take the above quote to mean that those of us who don't use a strain gauge, or pre/che are dangerous fools.

Well as I understand pre che the case is NOT taken to destruction. As all neck sizers know the case streatches GRADUALLY, without excess pressure. As the pressure increases, this streaching happens more quickly.

I think H.C.'s position is to monitor this streach BEFORE it gets to the stage of primers falling out, bolts sticking, etc.

I THOUGHT we all agreed that using correct components and all else equal, a small increase of powder near/over a few manuals max listed load will show SOMETHING before the case distructs or the gun blows up.

Primers are said to be suspect on reading pressure, but I have found a correlation with my loads up to flattened/createred, loose primer pockets after a FEW reloads, AND inserting the just fired case back in the chamber to check case expansion.

All this happens to me before hard bolt lift.
On only a few cases over 50 years have I seen marks on the case head. An immediate back-off, and said cases were reused no problem.

So far I haven't blown up anything from excess pressure except a revolver with bulges in the barrel from blowing out bullit centres.

So, no chrono,no press.Lab. no pre/che, no problem, no worries.

But, I have seen a factory rifle fireing factory ammo blow the primer out every shot.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how many participants in this thread have been hit in the face by gas from a failed case?
I have had a gas in the face from a shot shell that split around the rim. I have no interest in any loads that might come close to causing a case head failure in a center fire rifle.

I have felt the stuff bounce off my face from a 17M2 rimfire case head blowing in a converted 10/22. Good thing I was wearing safety glasses. That is why I like the 98 Mauser and the Ruger #1. If the case fails, no gas comes at me, and they are very good about prying the case out if the rim is still there.

I have had the primer fall out in 19 Badger, .223, .243, 25acp, .243Win, 257 Roberts AI, 270, 32acp, 7.62x25mm, .308, 30-06, 7.62x39mm, 8x57mm,.380, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 Sig, 40sw, 10mm, and 45acp.

I have never had the primer fall out becuase the case head is a stronger design, but lots of stuck cases: 6mmBR, 32S&WLong, 32-20, 7.62x54R, 38special, 357 mag, 45 Colt, and 45/70. Even when the case wall starts to separate from the case head in 45/70, there is still no gas leak.

There are some cartridges that never seem to have trouble: .222, 6.5x55, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 32sw, 30-30, 303Sav, 300 Win Mag, 7.5 Swiss, 303Brit, 38 S&W, 44 mag, 45Colt, and 12 ga. Probably becuase I have babied them along, but their time is coming.

Of course no gas came at me, it being a 98 Mauser.

In this series of three shots all of the same load with increasing Copper fouling [not detonation, silly], the last shot could not be pried out of the chamber with the 1938 Turkish Mauser extractor. The rim pulled off. I had to get it out with a cleaning rod. When the case head comes all the way off, I use a bronze cleaning brush that is reluctant to reverse direction when inside the case, to pound it out.

I have had the case head completely disappear into tiny pieces that left the scene in 19 Badger, 7.62x25mm, and 9x19mm, 38 special, 357 mag, and 7.62x39mm. But this is typically the guns fault for poor case support or weak gun and my fault for way too much powder.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I THOUGHT we all agreed that using correct components and all else equal, a small increase of powder near/over a few manuals max listed load will show SOMETHING before the case distructs or the gun blows up.

The above just brings us back to realise that generally Reloading Manuals caution us not to exceed their recommneded maximums. A good one in this regard is the Lyman manual. Lyman is one of the manuals that show pressure levels as well, and whilst these pressure levels are not aboslute, they are still good guides. Because nothing is absolute, for that very reason it is prudent to have a margin of safety. Quickload shows you a "RED" area and it is their attempt to caution the reloader, albeit not perfect in many cases.

Here in SA we only have Somchem's booklet on SA powders. Their advice is exactly what you say above and it is there for safety reasons. However there are some maverick private loads that float around and they typically come from those that believe another 50 or 100 fps will bring a 'so-much-needed' benefit to you, despite pushing pressure levels up to the border of the case's ability.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In this series of three shots all of the same load with increasing Copper fouling [not detonation, silly], the last shot could not be pried out could not be pried out of the chamber with the 1938 Turkish Mauser extractor. The rim pulled off.. I had to get it out with a cleaning rod. When the case head comes all the way off, I use a bronze cleaning brush that is reluctant to reverse direction when inside the case, to pound it out.

I have had the case head completely disappear into tiny pieces

But this is typically the guns fault for poor case support or weak gun and my fault for way too much powder.

Now how prudent can this be?
In my books you are a super maverick.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed

I also have a M43 Personal Ballistics Lab. I am currently runing tests on .308/7.62 and 30-06. I have a strain guage attached to one .223 barrel; a TC Contender Carbine wich has a pretty tight factory chamber and the .223 commercial throat. I will be conducting tests of commercial, military and handloaded ammuntion with it shortly. Only two of my .223 rifles have enough of the short .223 chamber part of the barrel sticking out in front of the reciever; the TC and a M70.

So far A couple pointers for use of the M43;

Read the instructions and go through the familiarization part with the computor hooked up.

Pay close attention to the required information for the test templates. I made a spread sheet (after mucking it up the first use) that records all required information on the firearm used. Do this prior to going to the range (best to take measurements when the rifle is apart to apply the strain guage).

Connect the M43 to your laptop to make sure it will "initialize" with your computor. The range is not the place to discover this won't happen and how to make it happen. Also plug in the strain guage cables you have affixed to rifles to see if the connextion/guage is good to go. A screen will tell you.

Make test templates of the ammo you are going to test BEFORE you go to the range. Enter as much data on the ammo and rifle as you can (that will be most of it except for a couple screen measurements and the weather data.

Have a means for accurate weather measurements at the range.

Have a GOOD 100' measuring tape.

Plan on a couple test runs (rehersals) to the range testing some ammo before serious testing of good ammo. You will forget something.

Make a check list of things needed at the range from these test runs and use it. This will save you time and frustration when serious testing begins.

I have made 4 trips to the range with my M43 so far. The first two I did not follow the above advice and the readings were not correct. I had forgotten things, did not have the extra gear I needed and was to distracted. The distractions come from trying to figure out how to set it up at your range and other shooters coming over, asking questions and ooohing and aaawing.

I sat down and spent two more days rehersing with the M43 program on the computor, developing the check list and making the spreadsheet with correct information on it. The last two trips went like clockwork. I had every thing I needed, I knew how to set up, I was able to pay attention to what I was doing and answer questions and I had all the required information to enter in the last required information.

Plan enough time to complete the test(s) without hurrying.

Be consistiant with your testing technique and shooting technique. I clean the barrel between each 10 shot string. I may or may not shoot 2 foulers depending on whether I want the cold, clean bore info included in the test.

Cleaning the rifle also slows me down, cools the barrel, lets me reflect on the data input and it lets me put up a new target (it's a small window through the down range screens at 100 yards) as I only shoot one test per target

The data obtained was consistant and in the ranges it should have been. I was also surprised by some pressures I got with one of my handloads and some factory pressures that were not as high as expected.

Keep in touch.

Larry Gibson

Larry,

Thank you for the advice.

Most of the things you have mentioned do not apply to us, as we will be conducting the tests in our indoor shooting range, and we have the loading lab right next to it.

I have already started reading the manual, and hopefully I will be familiar with it by the time we run the tests.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how many participants in this thread have been hit in the face by gas from a failed case?...
Many years ago when I was shooting pre-64 M70s(there were no post-64s then), I've had it happen due to Case Splits along the Case Walls. And Pierced Primers.

That "Holy Grail" rifle design funnels the gas right to the shooters face.

Have had complete Case Head Separations in M99s, but no gas in the face.

Have had some Pierced Primers in the M7s and M700s when using Pistol Primers in Reduced Loads that simply got too HOT(temperature). But, no gas in the face.
-----

Haven't had any Case Failures in a long time. Some of it may be due to much better Cases being made today. And some may be due to me getting the Ammonia Based Bore Cleaners completely out of the Chambers. Some of those Case Splits "may" have been due to Ammonia creating Case Embrittlement.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAL

Actually we are in agreement except that most knowledgeable reloaders now agree (from being able to actually measure the pressure) that when the case head shows any sign of expansion on the first firing (that's the proper way to make CHE test measurement) you have already exceded acceptable pressures. Now that brings us to the question of what is acceptable. Some of us have learned (me the hard way and you through judicious reloading) that pushing max pressure can be hazardous. Some like Hot Core and Tnekkcc in particular obviously think it is ok to push pressures to the max and bck off.

If the case head has expanded to a measureable amount it is generally considered to have "failed" to contain the pressure. The snip you quoted was accually referancing tnekkcc and his self stated method of loading them up until the primer blows then back off. That is, in fact, loading them to case failure.

Larry Gibson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saeed:
Saeed

"Most of the things you have mentioned do not apply to us, as we will be conducting the tests in our indoor shooting range, and we have the loading lab right next to it."

Saeed, I am insanely envious!

How about we start a seperate thread on the M43 when you are ready to test so we can exchange information?

Yesterday I ran tests on 3 different lots of M80 (WRA69, LC67 and LC90), LC88 M118, Winchester 150 PP, Remington 150 CL and and Federal 150 PS through 2 .308 rifles. One rifle with a 12" twist and one with a 14" twist.

I also ran some M2, M72 and some Federal 150 and 180 gr factory loads through 2 30-06 rifles. There were some interesting results worth discussion.

Larry Gibson

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Larry Gison

What are you doing son? Sounds like you are trying to do the impossible...trying to communicate with Hot Sh** is impossible as he is the suppository of all knowledge relating to reloading and shooting, as I have said many times. To try to do so is an exercise in flustration. The only fun part of talking to him or trying to communicate with him is brushing up on your trash talking.

The sad part of the deal is the guy probably does have some good experience to share but becomes the true owner of his opinions and feels the need to defend them to his death. It must be an ego thing and who knows the source of such a problem. Perhaps some profession time with a counselor would be helpful.

I don't think he truly understands how he comes across with the majority of board members here. Any attempt to tell him his manner is coarse, abupt, and combative is met with more trash talking from him telling you how stupid you are in return.

My solution to his sh** is to simply ignore him and his band of followers. Since doing that this board is again a great place to come for others experiences and knowledge. I've found some great gems here and appreciate the input from others.

Thanks to all the members posting here and to Saeed for making this possible.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TEANCUM

I appreciate the "son", especially at my age. However in regards to HC, I have mentioned as you have that he probably has some valuable input. His manner, actually a lack of manners, gets in his way. My last post to him was just to ring his chimes and demonstrate (once again) that he shouldn't shoot his mouth off when he doesn't know what he is talking about. I've about had it with him anyway as he sounds too much like the old "Gun Kid" who used to post with the same style on other forums.

I also wish to thank Saeed and the others here who want to and know how to have an intelligent discusion of reloading.

Larry Gibson

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf

Assuming Dr. Oehler sent you the comparison test? Did you notice the end results of the test with one pressure barrel having 2 strain guages, 2 conformal transducers, a gas casemouth transducer and a PCUP all on the same barel and measuring the same fired cartridge? I won't state the results here but I'll quote Dr. Oehler from my conversation with him last week when I asked how the M43 strain guage pressures compared to the other more sophisticated ways of measuring pressure. He stated; "strikingly similar". The test does in fact demonstrate that.

I certainly agree about what is an inch, etc. and it is difficult to get the "absolute truth" (whatever that is) especially as it pertains to some sort of "calibration" as you mention. This is also why it is necessary to differentiate as the the method of measurement. Shooters must also understand that every shot of the same load fired will not have the same pressure. This is why an average of numerous shots is used.

As I discussed with Hot Core we actually are measuring second hand information. As Dr. Oehler points out no system is without some problems and can be called an absolute standard. It is the equivelent measurement we look at. With the M43 I've found the PSIs to be the equivelent of what they should be in two different 30-06 rifles and two different .308 rifles. The pressures are not the same in each rifle but they are where they should be comparing them to industry standard. As an example; the '06 load I've previously mentioned was tested again yesterday with two loads. The same one that gave high pressure and one with the charge reduced 1.5 gr. I shot 5 shots of each. The high pressure load showed an average peak pressure of 66,400 psi(m43) with an ES of 6,000 psi(m43). The reduced load showed an average 62,300 psi(m43) with an ES of 3,200 psi(m43). Four of the higher pressure loads gave sticky bolt opening with shiney rub mark on the case. CHE on the once fired cases only showed .0001" expansion on 2 of the cases. On the reduced load there was no sign of sticky bolt lift or any shiney marks on the cartridge face. There also was no CHE measureable. While the reduced load seems like a good load I would not want to shoot it in 80-90 degree weather as yesterday was 46 degrees during the test.

So what is the absolute truth with those loads? Alf, your guess is as good as mine but CHE did not show me anything. The M43 showed me I was averaging 66,400 psi(m43) and I had obvious other signs of high pressure.

I believe I'll stick with the M43, or as Hot Core says at the end of his CHE/PRE article;

"If however a reloader has access to a chronograph, he should use it as "one more source" of information concerning his loads. Always use ALL means available that provide relative information concerning your Loads and record that information for future reference"

That is pretty good advise that Hot Core gives.

Larry Gibson

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey tnekkcc, Most ANYTIME a person agrees with my thoughts, or even appears to, it seems to be very difficult for some folks who disagree to remain civil.......:
Hot Core, for what it is worth, most times I find you have a heap of valuable experience and knowledge. The same for tnekkcc - and Alf - and - Larry Gibson and ........ beer Nobody on this thread is an idiot! Just normal, good folks with different perspectives and back ground experiences!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
It seems like there are a few posters on these boards that have "gun fights" with everyonelse over experiences and opinions.

As an employer of some 15 people I can tell you if there are some disagreements amoung our staff we look into it and see how to resolve the issue. If we find that one employee is constatly in disagreements with other employees and clients then we visit with that employee and "explain things" to them. After a few of these "explanation" meetings if the empoyee persists in this combative nature we tell them that their career maximization will need to occur at another local.

Techinical ability is wonderful but the ability to work with people in furthering the objectives of the organization is more important. If I had a choice between someone who was technically strong with an adverse personality and another individual that had average techincal skills but a very likeable personality and approach to clients and co workers there is no question we would hire the latter. Technical skills can be taught but personality disorders are another monster.

Maybe some who post here have reached the apex of their presence here and all would be better served should they seek further optimization elsewhere on different boards. Just a thought!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Teancum, can't see the revelance of your workplace to an "open" board.
We do have moderators that shut discussions down sometimes. Thankfully not often.

So, who you going to give the pink slip to??

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Teancum, can't see the revelance of your workplace to an "open" board.
We do have moderators that shut discussions down sometimes. Thankfully not often.

So, who you going to give the pink slip to??

I was trying to show how pissing contests and "gun fights" can become so large and occupy so much time and space that others of us who are trying to learn more about reloading get tired/fed up with the crap and find their/our time here not well spent. I probably didn't do a very good job of that.

I really like to hear of others experiences but when jumped by assholes I will defend myself and I can talk trash with the best. Now the question. Do others are this board give a rip about the petty "Yes you did", "no I didn't" threads???

The interesting observation is there are a few who post generously here are always in a pissing contest with somebody. Good debate and honest differences provide different insights and perhaps a new perspective on subjects. But the pissing contests seem a waste of time. JMHO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know. But quite often while obstinate people are defending their position some interesting facts/theorys/whatever are tossed about.
I don't see what is so hard to skip most of it.
I mean, most people have learnt to ignore me. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Yeah, I know. But quite often while obstinate people are defending their position some interesting facts/theorys/whatever are tossed about.
I don't see what is so hard to skip most of it.
I mean, most people have learnt to ignore me. Smiler

You're not on my ignore list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The above just brings us back to realise that generally Reloading Manuals caution us not to exceed their recommneded maximums. A good one in this regard is the Lyman manual. Lyman is one of the manuals that show pressure levels as well, and whilst these pressure levels are not aboslute, they are still good guides. Because nothing is absolute, for that very reason it is prudent to have a margin of safety. Quickload shows you a "RED" area and it is their attempt to caution the reloader, albeit not perfect in many cases.

Here in SA we only have Somchem's booklet on SA powders. Their advice is exactly what you say above and it is there for safety reasons. However there are some maverick private loads that float around and they typically come from those that believe another 50 or 100 fps will bring a 'so-much-needed' benefit to you, despite pushing pressure levels up to the border of the case's ability.

Warrior

Gerard,

I just thought it good to show what I said on the pressure issue and what you claim I said ... "CIP maximum is absolute and cannot be exceeded." This is wrong, I never said that, but you are so fond of twisting and putting another spin on things.

I stated before that the case is the weakest link, and as such, one can exceed CIP pressure in certain cartridges, but it is not recommended or advisable as a matter of prudence. It is about having a margin of safety to allow for things that can happen/change and drive the pressure up to the point of just not being able to fire a second shot (i.e. a stuck case), not even to burst the case, that could put your life in danger. This condition happens well before a blow-up.

So, it is stupid in my view to ignore P-max values, as if they do not exist. The same apply for max loads in reloading mannuals. I also did point out the soft Mauser actions that abound in certain calibers, and that for this reason it is not good to push those actions over P-max. I also said that CIP had their reasons for publishing max pressure levels, and I consider them as a better REDLINE than those individuals that advocate much higher REDLINES that want to milk their cartridges for the last drop of velocity, which is typical of some of your max load recommendations on your website, and in particular the max load with the 230 gr HV bullet at 2,800 fps. Just waiting for scanned pictures to put up the test.

Warrior

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Warrior, I'll second you on that! I had worked up a max load for my hornet and accidently loaded one into a maveric case that I must have picked up at the range by accident. I did notice one case had a higher powder level in it and I recharged that one. Well, it was a different brand and the primer flattened somewhat! Eeker I have no idea whether or not I have a safety margin but that case did not stretch, which means something in a hornet. I am quite certain I exceeded SAAMI max that time. Which is why I check all my fired cases. Confused

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
Cool

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

I mentioned that there were differences between the SAAMI and CIP system, and you you made out that it was not true ... here is a quote for you:

"Because the indicated pressure from crushers is known to be off, SAAMI many decades ago began referring to the indicated pressure from their tests as "Copper Units of Pressure," a clumsy name commonly shortened to "CUP." For low pressure cartridges such as shotshells, lead is used for the crusher, and SAAMI refers to these numbers as "LUP." Strictly speaking, such units should only be used to identify crusher readings taken in accordance with SAAMI procedures.

Both SAAMI and the CIP have detailed specifications for the arrangement and dimensions of the crusher. Because these two systems are not identical, the two crusher standards can not always agree. Further, as explained above, CIP crusher ratings are generally a bit higher than SAAMI's due to differences in definitions. Also, SAAMI is generally more conservative with older military rounds, such as the 8mm Mauser.

With SAAMI's arrangement, the piston is over the brass case, and the case will rupture somewhere below 20 ksi. The resulting sudden jump in pressure under the piston magnifies problems with piston inertia, and this makes the reading more sensitive to parameters such as burning rate, case strength, and true peak pressure. The CIP arrangement requires the piston case be drilled at the sensor location, and one benefit is that crusher and piezo ratios are much more consistent from cartridge to cartridge, allowing them to reasonably use a conversion formula (above)." Source .... http://kwk.us/pressures.html

The difference in the margin of safety needed between the two institutions iro of some cartridges (as pointed out) is yet another difference.

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Warrior,
Why are you answering questions that Gerard did not ask? He has not been on this thread for more than six weeks. You like starting arguments hey.
thumbdown

Posts: 218 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Interesting facts, Warrior. Wink

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
303Guy,
Be careful of what Warrior says. His facts are not always waht they seem to be. Above he denies saying that CIP maximum must not be exceeded but a quick check shows that he has said it many times. I for one will take everything he posts with several bags of salt.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 218 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
303 Guy,

Be careful of what Rat Motor says, he is a rabble rouser.
With all that salt, he is the "salt of the earth" !!! Wink

Warrior

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be careful of what Rat Motor says, he is a rabble rouser.
With all that salt, he is the "salt of the earth" !!!

There is spark and there is fuel but the cylinders are not firing in the correct order.
Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
This thread has degenerated from a good discussion to just cheap shots. Let this thread die. You can battle another day over ideas. Let it go.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

1. Results of pressure testing - 230 gr HV bullet:

Powder: S335
Load: 59.8 gr
Case: PMP
Primer: Magnum CCI250
AOL = 85.0 mm
Barrel: 24 inch test barrel from Lab
Velocity: 2,723 fps
Pressure: 7% over P-max

This was a serious hot load and we could still not achieve your recommended safe load of 2,800 fps. This was a compressed load, as can be seen in the accompanying photo despite us seating the bullet out to 85.0 mm and the use of a Magnum primer. When the bullet was seated one could hear the crushing of the propellant for several millimeters. Little wonder then that such a compressed load with a fast powder, and a magnum primer that is not need for this volume of extruded powder, equates to such undue high pressure. Clearly all intended to achieve maximum velocity with this bullet with little concern for the pressure curve.

2. Picture of case & compressed load that yielded 2,723 fps:

The primers were flattened but the full effect could not really be seen, as the pressure was bled off by the testing method, where a hole is drilled into case for the pressure to escape. We used stronger CCI primers instead of the softer Federal primers. The danger is that non suspecting and uninformed novices do not know this. Also, PMP cases and primers are thicker and stronger than most other brands, and as such, they have the potential to mask high-pressure loads better than other thinner and softer brands.

3. Intensity of various pimers:

Here is a relative ranking of commonly available primers by flame heat, from highest to lowest:

a) Fed Match GM215M = 6.12

b) Federal 215 LRM = 5.69

c) CCI 250 LRM = 5.66 --------------> (32.2% more than Standard CCI primer)

d) Winchester WLRM = 5.45

e) Remington 9 1/2 LRM = 5.09

f) Winchester WLR = 4.8

g) Remington 9 1/2 LR = 4.75

h) Fed Match GM210M = 4.64

i) Federal 210 LR = 4.62

j) CCI BR2 = 4.37

k) CCI 200 LR = 4.28 -------------->

l) KVB 7 LR Russian = 4.27

We can clearly see that the CCI Large Rifle primer is much cooler and runs at a lower pressure than the various Magnum primers.

4. Max recommended safe load:

Gerard, the question now arises how did you arrive at this safe max load of 2,800 fps? Did you experiment in various rifles, or did you have it pressure tested by a Lab, or did you go with an estimate? You consistently refused to answer this question. Regardless of how you arrived at it, we now know it to be silly, as there is no margin of safety for the various reasons mentioned previously. It remains now up to you to amend your loading data based on this study or to dick your head into the sand. Unnecessary hot-loads are not just about one-shot blow ups, but rather about the border line loads that cause case failure slowly.

5. Equitable comparisons:

Gerard I like the availability of a lighter well made bullet such as yours in the caliber, as it is more than adequate to shoot Eland; one does not really need a heavier bullet as the emphasis for me is on bullet expansion and keeping intact petals as far as possible. However, the motivation of your 230 gr HV bullet should not be based on a velocity of 2,800 fps (marketing hype), as that does not give us equitable comparisons with other bullet weights loaded to lower pressure levels that are well inside the CIP max pressure. Your MINIMUM load yielded a velocity of 2,634 fps which was almost at MAXIMUM pressure (98% of P-max). There is no compelling reason to exceed that velocity/pressure curve in my opinion. We certainly can, but we should not in terms of having a margin of safety. So, there is a difference between "can" and "should not", Gerard. Wink

Incidentally, we tested a 286 gr bullet at 2,263 fps @ 87% of CIP P-max, and would estimate a velocity of around 2,387 fps to be at 98% of CIP P-max, leaving a velocity differential of 247 fps [2,634 - 2,387] only between the two bullets, using our local powders as recommended. These figures should be used to contrast trajectory differences, if that is the main intention, and that is to say if we know the true BC of the HV bullet by now after it has been removed lately from the GSC website.. Despite this cloud of smoke and skew comparison of how the 230 gr HV bullet outperforms a 286 gr bullet, both bullets are more than adequate even at reduced velocities for their intended purpose of shooting large game.

Warrior