New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on headspace and seating gauges
 Login/Join

Picture of MemphisELK
posted
I am very new to reloading and would like advice on an accurate gauge to determine bullet seating depth. I have seen both the Stoney Point chamber-all and RCBS precision mic but would appreciate information on which will work best. I am reloading 30-06 for a Sako 75 Hunter. I have tried using a wax pencil on the bullet to see where it contacts the rifleing but don't feel that comfortable with the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend that if you are "very new to reloading" that you stay with the listed over all lengths for cartridges listed in the various load manuals. You need to have a solid feel and understanding for how things should be using basic reloading techniques.
That said I feel strongly that the better of the two tools you mentioned is the stoney point. But it has limitations.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
memphisELK, I'm pretty sure in a an M-75, if it is factory--meaning the barrel hasn't been altered or replaced, or the rifle rechambered, you won't be able to get bullets seated out far enough to contact the rifling, and still fit in your magazine. Having said that, to find out what that length would be, the stoney point is probably a little easier to use, I have both tools. I don't use either one anymore!

I take a case (this is the method suggested in the Nosler reloading manual) and press the neck of a fired case on my bench until it has a little neck tension to hold a bullet. I then very slowly chamber this 'dummy' round and then very slowly extract the dummy and do this 3 or 4 times to get and average COAL that is to the lands. I then make a note of that, and put it in my logbook, and build my load development rounds with a COAL that is 25 or 30 thou less than that, assuming that fits in that rifles magazine!

This is a cheap, accurate way to do it, and you don't have to wait till you get a tool!

Good shooting!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never used one of those gages. The way I found is to close to bolt and run a cleaning rod with a plug in it to the bolt face and mark the cleaning rod at the muzzle. Next remove the bolt and drop a bullet in the throat and hold it there lightly while running the cleaning rod down to the bullet tip. Again mark the rod at the muzzle. The distence between the marks is your max length with the bullet touching the lands.Back off a bit and there you are.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Stoney point tool that measures the cartridge or bullet to the ogive works well with Fish's method.

Don't think anything is set in concrete with seating depths. Bullet ogives can vary quite a bit so the relationship to the lands can change with bullet lots.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
memphisELK, I'm pretty sure in a an M-75, if it is factory--meaning the barrel hasn't been altered or replaced, or the rifle rechambered, you won't be able to get bullets seated out far enough to contact the rifling, and still fit in your magazine.

Don, I reload for a new Sako Greywolf in 30-06 and it has a magazine length of 3.375". You are right about some bullets like the Accubonds but I found that there was room to seat Barnes TSX's in 168 gr (3.355" to lands) and 180 gr (3.320" to lands) with a little room to spare, especially after you subtract .05" for seating depth. I also mic'ed the Nosler Partition and it measured 3.340" when against the lands.

So it matters which bullet.

MemphisElk, I would recommend the Hornady OAL Gauge although it does take some practice to get consistant readings.

You can also get fairly close by using the dowel or cleaning rod methods discussed on this thread. hammering

Welcome to the forum!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MemphisELK:
I am very new to reloading and would like advice on an accurate gauge to determine bullet seating depth. ...
First off, Welcome Aboard!

I'd encourage you to simply stick with the "Highly Precise" Cleaning Rod Method and then go from OCL to ODL. This will simplify the consistency of your reloads as to to the distance Off-the-Lands.

If you want to know how well the Stoney Point (or any of the totally unnecessary) thingys work, drink 2-4 Wine Coolers. Or, just put your hands in your rear pockets and dive into the floor. The resulting headache is quite similar.Wink
---

By the way, if you are not in the RMEF, I know the "new" Regional Manager for your area. He will be getting the Chapter cracking. Lots of fun at the Banquets if you are interested.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Cool I don't drink wine coolers or plunge into the floor headfirst but I do use Stoney Point products.

No headaches.

Usint Stoney Point Products.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Memphis:
I second muck's comments. Once you've had some experience under your belt, you can then advance to the next level. It's just that as a beginner, you've got a steep learning curve to overcome. Once you reach that plateau, you could then comfortably play with seating depth variations.
I personally use the Stoney Point OAL gauges and ALWAYS measure to the ogive. I can't comment on the quality/ease of use of other manufactuers tools in this regard. Yes, finding the length to the ogive can be a real headache but after a while, you just "go with the flow", so to speak. Above all, I think you should get some experience first. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mc:
Cool I don't drink wine coolers or plunge into the floor headfirst but I do use Stoney Point products.

No headaches.

+1

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of MemphisELK
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for the information. It was very helpful. Hot Core, I would be interested in the local RMEF, it sounds like fun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MemphisELK:
Thanks to all of you for the information. It was very helpful. Hot Core, I would be interested in the local RMEF, it sounds like fun.
I'll send you a PM. Look at the top of the page and you will see it flashing. Just click on it and it will take you to the PM.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote