New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some help on oal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a stoney point oal gauge , and have tried to get the right length ,but something

seems wrong. The length seems to be shorter than what the book calls for. I know some

difference can be there but could use some help on this . I am loading for a remington

700 300 wsm. Please let know what you think . Thanks

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I haven't used a Stoney Point, but you might try this and see what you come up with.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../978101504#978101504

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
What exactly are you trying to measure? The books lenght is the SAAMI max that will fit in any magazine. The base lenght to ogive is not a set lenght and could be anything within reason.
The lenght you are measuring short, is I am assuming, the case base to tip. The COL in the books is just a guide line and you will find it often isn`t the same lenght as your ammo when it is loaded to the lenght your rifle prefers. You will also find every brand and style of bullet you load will vary in COL if loaded to the same distance from the leade. The next bullet you try at the same distance may just be over the books max COL.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if my memmory recalls right,the stoney point oal measures to the ogive, not oal. oal can change by differant oal of your brass and some from the bulletts themselves

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the help. I will look at these things and get back with you ,if that's ok

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
Wow steel slinger, Thats a good read with some real good info. I never thought of going at if this way, But cannot see why it wouldnt work. I am gonna try it tonight with my 270. Thanks

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well gentlemen I would like to run this by you to see what you think. A local gunsmith said to

give this a try. He said to take a case that was trimed and sized and place a bullet in it of

course with no primer or powder in it ,chamber it into your gun this will give you the full

lenght to the rifling ,then take 0.10 off and you should be there . I am thinking it might

be a good point to start. I could then go one way or the other depending on my choice of bullets.

Please say what you think , if he is nuts say so by all means but if you think I should try this

say what you think or how you might improve on it. Thanks

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I use the method your gunsmith said but only to start with. You can put the bullet into a sized cartridge with no powder or primer and close the chamber. After you have done that put the cartridge into your press first screw the bullet seater out far enough it won’t touch the bullet. Run the ram up and screw the bullet seater down until it touches the bullet snugly. Put the cartridge aside and seat a bullet in another unprimed cartridge. Put this one into the rifle and close the action. The action should close with a little resistance but not too much. If it closes to hard seat the bullet a little farther. When you get it to close with only a little resistance. Repeat this on a third cartridge this will give you a touching the lands measurement. I use the three cartridge method because it gives me the best measurement.

I hope this helps it has worked well for me for many years.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunz:
Wow steel slinger, Thats a good read with some real good info. I never thought of going at if this way, But cannot see why it wouldnt work. I am gonna try it tonight with my 270. Thanks

I can't take credit for that. I learned it from someone else here on AR. Can't remember who though.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Using Stoney Point

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7 MAG:
I have a stoney point oal gauge , and have tried to get the right length ,but something seems wrong. The length seems to be shorter than what the book calls for. ...
Hey 7 MAG, I'd normally be inclined to say the "Stoney Point Tool" is pulling a clinton on you, but it could actually be telling you something useful. Perhaps the distance to the Lead is a bit shorter than the rifle used in your Reloading Book.
-----

Seating Depth can be found in a number of ways. Some folks like to use a special tool made by Stoney Point and others, but I’ve used the old Cleaning Rod Method for years and it still works great for me. You will want to repeat this entire Process each time you open a new box of Bullets, even if it is the exact same type and weight.

You will need:
1. A long Cleaning Rod or Dowel Rod. If using a Dowel Rod, use it where I mention using the Cleaning Rod below.
2. A Flat Tipped Jag. (Not needed if using a Dowel Rod.)
3. A 0.001" capable set of Calipers.
4. A roll of Tape, masking tape works fine.
5. A single Set-Up Bullet.
6. An item to hold the Set-Up Bullet against the Lands.
7. The rifle.
8. A small piece of paper.

A. Screw the Flat Tipped Jag into the Cleaning Rod. I have some made of Brass that had a sharp point on the end which I filed off just for this. Or use the Dowel Rod.
B. With the Rifle unloaded and the Bolt closed, slide the Cleaning Rod in the muzzle until the Jag touches the Bolt Face.
C. Place a single wrap of Tape around the Cleaning Rod so the front edge of the Tape is against the Muzzle.
D. Remove the Cleaning Rod and remove the Bolt from the rifle if it is a Bolt Action. It is a Lever or Semi-auto just open the Bolt.
E. Drop the Set-Up Bullet point first into the Chamber.
F. Reinsert the Cleaning Rod in the Muzzle and slide it down to the Set-Up Bullet while holding something against the Bullet Base(item 5). Depending on the diameter of the Bullet, you might be able to use a wooden pencil, an old cartridge case with the mouth slightly crimped closed or a loaded cartridge to hold the Set-Up Bullet in position.
G. Take your 0.001" capable set of Calipers and measure the distance from front edge of the Tape to the Muzzle.
H. Record the measurement on a small piece of paper and Tape it to the Set-Up Bullet.

That measurement gives you the Overall Cartridge Length(OCL) for the Set-Up Bullet to just Kiss-the-Lands. Keep the Set-Up Bullet separate from the others because you will use it to properly adjust the Seating Die later on. I just put it in the Die Box to keep it separated.

Converting Overall Cartridge Length(OCL) to Overall Die Length(ODL)

It is important to understand that all Bullets in a box are not the same exact Length. This is due to minute variations in the amount of material being formed into the Bullet. Fortunately the distance from the Point on the Ogive that makes contact with the Lands to the Bullet Base is normally very accurate.

Most Seating Die Stems are cupped deep enough so the Bullet Tip does not make contact with the Seating Stem. Some of the Super Sleek Plastic Tip Bullets do touch the Seating Stem and this may or may not be a problem. Remove the Seating Stem and insert the Bullet into the Cup. If it Wobbles around, that means the Tip is making contact and not the Ogive.

You can either modify the Seating Stem so the Bullet Tip is not touching, or contact your Die Manufacturer to see if they have a specific Seating Stem designed for that new sleek Bullet. If you do choose to modify the Seating Stem, go on and order a Spare or two in case the one you have gets damaged during the modification.

The main thing is to have all the Bullets Seated so the Point on the Ogive that makes contact with the Rifle Lands is the same distance from the Case Head from cartridge to cartridge. You can measure this with a Stoney Point Tool(if you have one), a Sinclair Bullet Comparator, or a Socket out of your Tool Box. Just use the Largest Socket you have which will not slip past the Ogive, place it on the Bullet and measure to the Case Head. If the Ogive-to-Case Head length varies a good bit, then you need to Seat each Bullet individually, or fix the Seating Stem.

You can make a Dummy Cartridge with no Primer and no Powder using the Set-Up Bullet if you want to, but it is really not necessary unless you intend to Crimp the Bullets. When Crimping the Bullets, it will save a lot of time to have a Dummy from Step #8 below. For consistency, all Cases should be Trimmed to the proper length, deburred and chamfered.

1. Take a Primed case that has the Powder in it and insert it into the Press Shell Holder and raise the Ram.
2. With the Seating Die out of the Press, screw the Seating Stem all the way up.
3. Screw the Seating Die into the Press until you feel it make contact with the Case and back it up ½ turn.
4. Screw the Seating Die Lock Ring down to touch the Press. If you do not intend to Crimp the Case, you can snug-up the Lock Ring Set Screw. Make sure you can still unscrew and reseat the Sizing Die to the same depth. It is critical for the Lock Ring not to move on the Seating Die so you can always screw the Seating Die into the same position. If you do desire to Crimp the Bullet, do not tighten the Set Screw and make sure you make a Dummy Cartridge. Crimping will be done in a separate Step.
5. Lower the Ram, place the Set-Up Bullet atop the Case and raise the Ram.
6. Screw the Seating Stem in until it touches the Set-Up Bullet, lower the ram slightly, screw the Seating Stem in a bit more and raise the ram.
7. Remove the Cartridge and measure the OCL. Repeat #6 and #7 until the OCL is the exact same as what you measured with the Cleaning Rod.
8. Place the Cartridge back in the Shell Holder and raise the ram.
9. Snug the Seating Stem Lock Nut into position.

Here is where all the above allows us to convert from OCL to ODL.

10. Lower the Cartridge and unscrew the Seating Die from the Press.
11. Take your 0.001" capable Calipers and measure from the top of the Seating Stem to the very bottom of the Seating Die.

This is the Overall Die Length(ODL) for the Set-Up Bullet and you will want to record this length on the actual Bullet Box.

For an Example, lets say the OCL was 3.280" and when we complete the above process, the ODL is 4.300". We now know we can take any Bullet out of that box and Seat it to just Kiss-the-Lands with the ODL set at 4.300". Or of we want to Seat Bullets 0.025" Off-the-Lands, we simply adjust the Seating Stem to 4.275", screw the Seating Die into the Press and we are ready to begin Seating Bullets.

If the Seating Die Lock Ring moves, then all measurements will be off. So it is important to have the Set Screw SNUG, but not so tight that you round out the Hex.

On Cartridges that I Crimp, I always Crimp into a Cannelure. I leave the Lock Ring Loose on those Dies and perform Bullet Seating and Crimping as two separate steps. Here a Dummy Cartridge can save you a good bit of Set-Up time.

I know that looks like a lot of stuff to do, and I guess it is. The Set-Up Bullet needs to be done each time you open a new box of bullets because of slight variances during manufacture. And occasionally the Manufacturers have to replace the Forming Dies which can change the Ogive shape and position.

It you have a rifle that uses a high Pressure cartridge and you shoot it a good bit, the Throat will recede a bit as you shoot it. So, this also helps keep up with that process

I know I do a lot more steps in my Reloading than most folks, but it is my time to use as I see fit.

As usual, use what you want and trash the rest.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again thank each of you for your input . It has made job alot simpler that I was making hard.

It nice to know you can ask for help and get it from people that know. Thanks