New
Find
Notify
Tools

short barrel cartridge
 Login/Join

<MFH>
posted
I'm tired of having a 26" barel hanging up in brush and tree limbs! What cartridges can approximate 338 win ballistics and trajectory in a maximum barrel length of 22"? I want to stay between 338 and 375 cal.

Thanks!

MFH

<DuaneinND>
posted
You might find your 338 will still do the job even if you wack off a couple of inches.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will pay the price in muzzle blast by going to 22" with a magnum...if you are determined, get the .338 and use lighter bullers such as the 200 - 210 grain options. This will give you the trajectory you want and still provide plenty of oomph at the target as long as you yse premium bullets like the Nosler. You will probably not be happy with the 22" barrel and strongly suggest you go no shorter than 24"

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This "hang up in the brush barrel lenth" is mostly in the mind....A 16" barrel will hang up on brush if the bush is there!!! Not a good reason, a better reason is you want a short barrel...

I hunt in the thickest Jesse in Africa with a 26" barrel and also in the black holes of Idaho elk country...I have used the short barrels and never could see any advantage to them except that short barrels don't work well for me when shooting off hand or on off hand running shots, unless the barrel is very heavy indeed.....

I do like a short barreled, slab sided gun for hunting horseback, a Win 94 or Sav. 99, but again its not a requirment...

Our forefathers,the pioneers, Buffalo hunters, and Mt. men knew this, the cowboy invented the carbine I think, rest my case

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<IM4RMEF>
posted
I didn't know my 26 inch barrel(BOSS equiped Browning) was such a pain until I started carrying a stainless Guide Gun. I now despise the 26 inch as most of my hunting involves thick blowdowns, horses and ground blinds.
Maybe the .338 WSM would retain .338 Win Mag performance in a slightly shorter barrel?

<gone hunting>
posted
never had one or even shot one but a 338/06 from a 20-22" barrel should make a dandy tite cover rifle.

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

[This message has been edited by gone hunting (edited 10-31-2001).]

<Don G>
posted
I'd look at a 35 Whelan, myself. 338-06 might be better all-around, but you said brushy country.

Don

<MFH>
posted
IM4RMEF,

That is Exactly the situation...Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker with Boss in 338. vs. stainless Guide Gun. I like the 338 trajectory but the guide gun carries better..If only it had better longer range potential.

MFH

<BigBores>
posted
Yup, I'd go with the 35 Whelen. Of course, I say that and I'm having one made with a 22 inch Douglas #3 screwed into a mauser action. I guess I just want company! Should be a great brush rifle. If it really is that thick, I'd say you don't need all of the 338WM anyway. You could just save yourself a lot of effort and lop the end off your current rifle. But what fun would that be!

BTW you never said what the game was. Elk?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My 35 whelen ackley pushes a 250 gr a-frame 2700 fps from a 24" tube, though that is a hot load. I know folks getting 2600 from 21" barrels.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote