Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronoghaph Question
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Garmin is the best. Tiny size. Battery is great. Easy, easy, easy to use. Ive used for rufles, handgun and even a break barrel pellet gun just to test it out. Best buy in the industry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I then got a Oehler 35-P and have enjoyed it many years and still can. When I got the Garmin ...

It's nice to hear these good reviews. Has anyone with both types of chronograph set them up together to see if they report the same speeds?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
quote:
I then got a Oehler 35-P and have enjoyed it many years and still can. When I got the Garmin ...

It's nice to hear these good reviews. Has anyone with both types of chronograph set them up together to see if they report the same speeds?

Question then would be, which chrono is correct?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's nice to hear these good reviews. Has anyone with both types of chronograph set them up together to see if they report the same speeds?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have.
The very first time I used my new Garmin I also used my Caldwell screen Chronograph as a comparison, shooting with both systems operating simultaneously. From long term use I knew readings from the Caldwell were sometimes erratic ( i.e. the occasional reading several hundred to one thousand fps more than it should be ) and also readings were affected by ambient light levels. Dull days tended to show slightly slower velocities and also tended to give more missed readings. Anyway, the comparison surprised me. Roughly half the Caldwell readings were rubbish I suspect but the other half were almost identical ( within 10 fps ) of the Garmin readings. I was shooting a load for which I had calculated an average velocity with the Caldwell. If you compared the reliable Caldwell readings with all from the Garmin they were the same for all practical purposes.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
quote:

Question then would be, which chrono is correct?
i almost don't care about "correct" but really care about consistency - idk if it's 2500 or 2025, i care that it's the same for the same...

let me say it a different way, today, i rely on electronics working "close enough" to each other to be interchangeable ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its going to be interesting to see how garmin handles requests when the internally sealed batteries see there life expire...the unit needs a new battery

Posts: 1477 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Garmin arrives today. What I'm wondering is whether it will catch MVs with the way I set up on the bench with the bigger bores.

Will find out tomorrow.

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
eagle27 Broken diffusers were the reason my first three models of chronys failed.

must be nice -- i shot my first 2, and a buddy shot the third one

Your shooting is as bad as your politics.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just tried out my new Garmin, Love it! My range has overhead baffles to catch errant high shots from leaving the range and sailing off into suburbia. I was concerned that they might give the garmin issues but it caught every shot with no problems.

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote