Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Bullets, how slow and still effective
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents

I have read some place that the ever popular TSX and TTSX bullets need a little more horse power at the longer distances to perform to their fullest potential?
I'm specifically looking for information on a 200 thirty cal bullet at a MV of 2800 fps and a 140gr 7mm at 2900 fps.
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Barnes and they will tell you. I asked them about the TTSX in my 300 wsm and they said 2,600 fps and they will work out to 500 yards. If I remember correctly, they said 3,000 fps and it will work out to 800 yards.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
iirc, they said either 1600 or 1800 minimum to open up ...

lets say your MV is 2800 -- 2700 at 100.. 260 at 200, 2500 at 300 .. and then it will start to drop of -- just rules of thumb on the speeds, but you'll be past 400 before you are under 2000

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
They dont open up even to bullet dia. when they get slow

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want an impact velocity less than 2200 fps. I know Barnes says 1600-1800, but the testing I have seen shows minimal expansion at 2000 fps.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't want an impact velocity less than 2200 fps. I know Barnes says 1600-1800, but the testing I have seen shows minimal expansion at 2000 fps.

+1

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of reinforces the "drop a weight" philosophy when using Barnes bullets. Gotta keep that velocity up.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I treat the Barnes bullet the exact opposite of the ballistic tip. I push the Barnes as fast as possible with acceptable groups. I keep btips about 200 fps slower than possible per wt per caliber.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
LWD wrote: "I don't want an impact velocity less than 2200 fps. I know Barnes says 1600-1800, but the testing I have seen shows minimal expansion at 2000 fps."
---

That pretty much nails it, especially for the sub-.30 caliber offerings.

Barnes used to claim full depth-of-cavity expansion down to 1600 fps, but I have NEVER experienced this in my testing. They've since dropped that phrasing from their marketing.

Also, while the TTSX was brought out to address the long range/lower velocity expansion issues, keep in mind that the TTSX in some instances is a STOUTER bullet than the TSX. Case in point is the 7mm 120 grainers: Barnes even supports my findings on this and claims you need 1800 fps for the TSX and a minimum of 2000 fps for the TTSX to give at least minimal expansion. My testing actually indicates the numbers are closer to 2000/2200 fps.

I will admit that these TSX and TTSX can be phenomenally accurate in many guns, but for me, that's not the bottom line. I primarily use moderate-capacity cartridges, so the Barnes do not appeal to me. I gave them a fair shake over the course of several years, and while I did get some acceptable performances at times, it was the inconsistency that ultimately turned me away from them -- that, and the fact that many animals shot with Barnes required follow-ups, something I found to be common in researching the experiences of other hunters.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9359 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should say that I wasn't referring to the larger caliber ones. In .375 H&H and larger, the tip opening is much larger.

I think I have scanned somewhere an article from about 5 years ago showing bullets tested at 2000 and 3000 fps impact velocities. If I can find it, I will post it.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote