Notify
Tools

458 Lott with RL7
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted
Hi Guys

Just about to get my 458 Lott on Friday and need to load up some rds.
I have Reloader 7
500 gn Hornady interbonds and solids
350 gn Hornady flatpoints

Any suggestions as to loads I was thinking 70 gns for both. At present this will be kept as a follow-up rifle on iron sights.

Regards

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Start lower than your max load. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.asp...id=1111&bulletid=398

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I just made some RL-7 loads for my 458 Lott and 350 grain Speer Hot Cores, with Hornady brass and Federal GM215M primers. At 75 grains (this is near the maximum load in the Hornady manual), my 100 yd. 3 shot group of about 1 inch looked promising; I'll just have to see if the gun will now do that consistently with this load.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
RL 7 is too fast for the 500 gr bullets.

With 350's, I start at 76 gr and work up to about 80 gr. You should find a load that is accurate @ 2400-2500 fps. Yes, the Lott can be driven faster, but the reason I shoot 350's is to reduce recoil.

I've used RL 15 and Varget for the 500's, and prefer Varget. Start at 80 gr and work up.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul

If RL 7 is too fast for the 500gn bullets then what is going to happen when I fire the cartridge with 70 gn of it inside? Am I going to get vicious recoil?
The barrel is 20" long so propellant combustion should be complete before the bullet leaves the barrel.

regards

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I should have said to get full 458 lott velocities RL7 is too fast. If you have published data for 500 gr bullets then go for it, though you'll be at reduced velocities.

The only time I had pressure problems with a 458 Lott was when I tried RL7 w/ 450 gr barnes bullets.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote