New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 405gr JFP's discontinued?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I heard a murmer that the Rem 405gr JFP is no longer being offered. I've only heard this at one source, but am wondering if it's true. It seems to me like it's a popular bullet, but who knows for sure if the rumor is true. I went to the MidwayUSA site and they are sold out it.

Anyone know?

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
next there won't be any 150gr .308 bullets...

there's
45/70
450 marlin
450 alaskan
458 2"
458 win
458 lott
450 Ne (various)
460 weatherby

and god alone knows how many wildcats that shoot these....

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope this is not the case, I use that bullet quite a bit !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not heard that regarding the 405gr, but I have regarding the .35 cal 250gr PSPCL.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is no longer listed on their web site, although they still have it listed in loaded ammo....

http://www.remington.com/ammo/reloading/centerfire.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone on another forum said they called Remington and asked specifically and he was told that bullet will BE NO MORE...

Yes, it's an accurate bullet and also an excellent bullet for medium game.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I just sent them an e-mail, asking what is going on. Will see if I get any responce from them. If they have truely pulled this bullet from the reloading public, thinking that they are going to sell more loaded ammo they are full of it. I for one, will just go back to loading and shooting cast bullets.

If anything they dropped the wrong bullet. The 300gr HP is the less desirable of the two styles.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on guys... this is Remington! Corporate motto is "Whatever works, stop doing it...now!" jump
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Keith,
and I just emailed midway....

hmm, kinda funny that there's a RUN on 405s when the 45/70 double is about to be released...

btw, midway's product info says that they are expecting them on 4/25, but that doesn't mean anything other than they have a shipment

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458RugerNo1:
I heard a murmer that the Rem 405gr JFP is no longer being offered. I've only heard this at one source, but am wondering if it's true. It seems to me like it's a popular bullet, but who knows for sure if the rumor is true. I went to the MidwayUSA site and they are sold out it.

Anyone know?

Heavens to Murgetroid! If this really happens, we'll have to shoot the Speer 400-grainers! Of course, in a single-shot and a double, you can shoot pointy bullets like the Barnes Original 400 grain semi-spitzer that has a B.C. of .389.

(Has anyone noticed how a great many of the "big factories"'s bullets that we all used to shoot have left the reloading market in the past ten or so years? If the biggies think this will boost the sale of factory loads, they're nuts! We have SO MANY GREAT BULLETS available these days, it's hard to believe!! Maybe this is the problem-not enough people buying the old standard Rem. & Win. bullets any more.)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given how the majors have dropped standard cartridges to support the shortfats, I would not be surprised at more of the same. I think they expect people to say, "Well, give me a couple of boxes of shells instead of the 100 bullets I really want."

Barking up the wrong tree again.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are history as a component for handloaders....if you like em, better buy what you can while you can....Cabelas is about out of them...Midway says they're on backorder....

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7631&start=15

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These shitholes like Remington, Winchester etc have yet to work out

1) The keen reloader buys lots of guns.

2) The keen guns/ammo person influences what many others buy.

I wonder how many "hunting" scopes Leupold has sold because of the 36Xs on the bench rest line. I bet it is plenty.

Remington discontinued the Sendero but I bet the Sendero has been indirectly responsible for many other Rem 700 sales.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead design a new caliber get people to buy the rifles and then pull that from the line up as well Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just grabbed 500, thanks for the warning!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
I just sent them an e-mail, asking what is going on.

Did you get a reply? The 405gr JSP is a very popular bullet given the increase in 45-70 popularity. If Rem drops it, I'll go straight to casting my own as the rest of the jacketed fodder is over-priced.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how these rumors get started? So far, nobody has any data to back up the "rumor". And the marlinowners site is not even up to National Enquiror level for credibility - if it was up and working.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dla

When it is a rumour about discontinuing and Remington is at the centre, the rumour is enormously strengthened Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DLA, if your read both pages of the thread and the other thread on the subject at Marlin Owners, you'll see that several members called or emailed Remington and got the same story, it's only being sold in ammo, no more production for component sales...

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7669

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the marlinowners site is not even up to National Enquiror level for credibility - if it was up and working.

Could this be because you got kicked off of the MarlinOwners site? Roll Eyes

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
DLA, if your read both pages of the thread and the other thread on the subject at Marlin Owners, you'll see that several members called or emailed Remington and got the same story, it's only being sold in ammo, no more production for component sales...

Seems strange then that Midway, MidSouth, and Weidners all show the 405gr JSP as available to order. If a product is discontinued, Midway usually shows it as being discontinued.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
quote:
And the marlinowners site is not even up to National Enquiror level for credibility - if it was up and working.

Could this be because you got kicked off of the MarlinOwners site? Roll Eyes

Well, keeping with the low-IQ standard that is the norm for Marlinowners, Larry booted me and 82,000 other people who work for the same company. Not sure whether he was targeting me or not as I never recieved a warning and I can't contact the bozo to discuss it.

Can't say that I miss it. It wasn't a very good resource, except for your posts of course Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla:
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:

Seems strange then that Midway, MidSouth, and Weidners all show the 405gr JSP as available to order. If a product is discontinued, Midway usually shows it as being discontinued.

As popular as that bullet is, I see no reason why it shouldn't be in stock for a while due to large stock piles here and there...but since Rem is no longer selling it as a component and hasn't for a year, those stock piles are going to dry up soon, I expect. Midway expects to get their supply in on 4/25....we shall see if or how long it lasts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
midway just put them on sale. they are expected in stock Monday

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
midway just put them on sale. they are expected in stock Monday

They are the cheapest jacketed bullet you can buy for the 45-70. They are even cheaper than most of the cast bullets. It amazes me that people buy premium bullets for an old cartridge that they're just going to use to knock down an Elk.

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are not on remington's website either....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A sad day for Marlin 45-70 owners. This bullet has been around since 1946 or so. And I've got to believe that there's been a sortof revival of 45-70 sales since the Guide Gun introduction. Seems like a poor time to stop production. Oh-well, the singe machine that made the bullet probably broke and none of the old-codgers who understood the machineary are still around. Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
The sad thing is they are still making the bullet, just not selling it as a component...it's still available in their loaded ammo....FWIW!

one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
For all you Vic/Melbourne lads, Frank O'reillys has shit loads of the Rem 300's and 405's in, $28 a 100.

Franks is pissing off the fishing stuff and going more into firearms/shooting.

Choppa

Posts: 137 | Location: Australia Vic Woorarra | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dla,

I agree, I'd think sales should be respectable with the popularity of the 45-70 and .450 Marlin in the past few years.

It's been around since 1946? Where did you hear of that? I'd be interested to know about it's history if you can direct me or give more details.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458RugerNo1:

It's been around since 1946? Where did you hear of that? I'd be interested to know about it's history if you can direct me or give more details.

Sorry, I've been spreading 2nd hand information. Another poster gave a bit of history of the bullet, and I remembered the date (sort of). I wish I had paid more attention.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Heaps Choppa, I shall get intouch I think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Choppa and PC, Cabelas price of $63 for 500 and $15 shipping appears to beat the $28 a 100 price by a fair amount, don't know about customs and currency value, but I'd check it out.

Remington Bulk Bullets

Cabelas Intl shipping