THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can moly coating be removed from bullets...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted
and what is the process?

Thanks

Jeff

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried it, but I assume that tumbling in ordinary case tumbling media would do the trick?

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Yes, tumble them. You can add some of your favorite polish to speed the process. I like Mequire's Cleaner-polish. It is at the auto store.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried tumbling a few in a my large tumbler but I found it taking too long.So, I took each bullet out and applied polishing liquid by hand to each one individually.I also used a paper towel to work off the moly and polish.Then I put them back in the tumbler for a few minutes to finish them off.I removed the molly because the ceramic media I used to moly-coat with was contaminated(fell on the floor)and all my bullets had a rough coating.I reloaded them anyways but know changed my mind about shooting them because I am scared to damage the bore.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load them up and then toss them in the tumbler over night with walnut media...

in the morning when I get up, they are just fine...

I ended up with several boxes of varmint bullets for cheap that had been moly coated at the factory, but didn't sell well.. so they off loaded them.....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the end I finish them with fantastik degreaser.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wash them with automotive paint thinner and let them dry.

one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted Hide Post
thanx guys.....tumbling them for a few hours took a little off, but I am too impatient...I'll try the paint thinner routine.

Jeff

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote