The Accurate Reloading Forums
can moly coating be removed from bullets...

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/622103875

01 December 2006, 00:20
jffrybrght
can moly coating be removed from bullets...
and what is the process?

Thanks

Jeff

01 December 2006, 02:59
Stonecreek
I haven't tried it, but I assume that tumbling in ordinary case tumbling media would do the trick?
01 December 2006, 03:21
AZ Pete
Yes, tumble them. You can add some of your favorite polish to speed the process. I like Mequire's Cleaner-polish. It is at the auto store.

NRA Patron Life Member
01 December 2006, 04:58
shootaway
I tried tumbling a few in a my large tumbler but I found it taking too long.So, I took each bullet out and applied polishing liquid by hand to each one individually.I also used a paper towel to work off the moly and polish.Then I put them back in the tumbler for a few minutes to finish them off.I removed the molly because the ceramic media I used to moly-coat with was contaminated(fell on the floor)and all my bullets had a rough coating.I reloaded them anyways but know changed my mind about shooting them because I am scared to damage the bore.
01 December 2006, 05:54
seafire/B17G
I load them up and then toss them in the tumbler over night with walnut media...

in the morning when I get up, they are just fine...

I ended up with several boxes of varmint bullets for cheap that had been moly coated at the factory, but didn't sell well.. so they off loaded them.....
01 December 2006, 06:34
shootaway
In the end I finish them with fantastik degreaser.
01 December 2006, 13:07
Gerard
Wash them with automotive paint thinner and let them dry.
01 December 2006, 13:40
jffrybrght
thanx guys.....tumbling them for a few hours took a little off, but I am too impatient...I'll try the paint thinner routine.

Jeff