New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose primer pockets
 Login/Join

<jayloar>
posted
I've got a 300WSM and in my opinion the factory 180gr Power Point loads are pretty warm based on primer pockets being slightly loose on some of the cases when I reload those hulls.

Are loose primer pockets always a sign of over pressure?

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
No, not always. If the bolt gets sticky to lift, the primers are flattened, and the pockets are enlarged, then you definitely have high pressures.

But I've encountered a Lot(meaning a particular run of primers, not an abundance)of primers that were undersized, and I've also encountered primer pockets on new brass that were loose to begin with (poor manufacturing tolerances).

Although I know Winchester wants the velocity numbers up there on their new load, I just can't see them in this day and age of litigation and lawyers having those loads intentionally excessively up there in the pressure range.

------------------
"shoot 'em if you got 'em!"

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
someone posted that either winchester or federal primers ran slightly larger than cci and rems. Their point being that when you have shot a shell enough to loosen the primer pocket, you could switch primers and get a few more goes out of a case. Sorry, but I can't remember which primer it was. If you can find out, you could try some of them and see if its loose pockets or hot loads. I agree that its probably NOT hot loads.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I wouldn't bet on the loads not being hot...Past history of ammo and arms companies is to load them hoter n hell in the beginning and get all the hype and advertisment out of a new round then secretly back off a little at a time until your actually shooting a 30-06 as opposed to this new wonder watchamacallit 300 super duper round... What surprises me is that Joe America keeps falling for this old ruse...Just my guess.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote