The Accurate Reloading Forums
Loose primer pockets

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/61310255

15 December 2001, 10:50
<jayloar>
Loose primer pockets
I've got a 300WSM and in my opinion the factory 180gr Power Point loads are pretty warm based on primer pockets being slightly loose on some of the cases when I reload those hulls.

Are loose primer pockets always a sign of over pressure?

15 December 2001, 11:55
Matt Norman
No, not always. If the bolt gets sticky to lift, the primers are flattened, and the pockets are enlarged, then you definitely have high pressures.

But I've encountered a Lot(meaning a particular run of primers, not an abundance)of primers that were undersized, and I've also encountered primer pockets on new brass that were loose to begin with (poor manufacturing tolerances).

Although I know Winchester wants the velocity numbers up there on their new load, I just can't see them in this day and age of litigation and lawyers having those loads intentionally excessively up there in the pressure range.

------------------
"shoot 'em if you got 'em!"

15 December 2001, 12:10
beemanbeme
someone posted that either winchester or federal primers ran slightly larger than cci and rems. Their point being that when you have shot a shell enough to loosen the primer pocket, you could switch primers and get a few more goes out of a case. Sorry, but I can't remember which primer it was. If you can find out, you could try some of them and see if its loose pockets or hot loads. I agree that its probably NOT hot loads.

16 December 2001, 07:40
Atkinson
Well I wouldn't bet on the loads not being hot...Past history of ammo and arms companies is to load them hoter n hell in the beginning and get all the hype and advertisment out of a new round then secretly back off a little at a time until your actually shooting a 30-06 as opposed to this new wonder watchamacallit 300 super duper round... What surprises me is that Joe America keeps falling for this old ruse...Just my guess.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com