Tools

The use of Sectional Density
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
An FMJ does not constitute a solid....

A solid can have a FMJ feature in its design ....Does that FMJ-RN Woodleigh not constitute a solid?

A projectile whether designed to function primarily as a non-expanding solid, or expanding soft point,

can either be comprised of a single-solid (monolithic)component [as in one piece mono-metal] construction, or can comprise of/be constructed using a combination of different metals/multiple components.

GSC-HV....an expanding softpoint made from one integral(monolithic/solid) monometal component.

NF-SP an expanding softpoint comprising of a combination of different metals & components.-one integral(solid/monolithic)piece of copper bonded to a lead core.

GscFN solid....comprising of a singular component,-one integral(monolithic/solid) monometal mass.

WL-FMJ RN-solid....comprising of a monolithic lead core, encased in a steel FMJ.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What we have then is;
(Pi x R³ x 4/3)/(2R x Pi) x Density = 2R²/3 x Density where R is the radius.

(Pi x R³ x 4/3)/(2R x Pi) = 2R²/3

unfortunately there is an 'oops' in there
the frontal surface area of the sphere formula should be (2 x R x R x Pi)
and the rate of change of SD relative to radius of sphere reduces to 2R/3.

Trax ;
slightly off topic but the extent of damage to the heart is irrelevant to the distance traveled provided the heart is no longer able to function as an energy pump.
- totally removed
- mashed
- cut
no difference
The distance travelled is primarily determined by 2 basic parameters
- the will to run ( remaining blood to provide brain function & conscious decision to run)
- the ability to run from stored energy in the muscle tissue)
- movement stops whenever either ceases to have the ability to function.
( unco-ordinated autogenous muscle function can occur for a period after conscious brain control ceases to be capable of co-ordinated movement).

DRT heartshots are really collapse from shock and bleedout making the brain function non-viable before consciousness from the shock is recovered.

Rendering the heart non-functional is not an immediate cause of death, and there are a wide range of extents of damage to the heart that makes it non-functional.
The broadhead is rarely capable of generating sufficient shock from injury to render the animal unconscious.
The HV centrefire has the ability to do that ........but doesn't necessarily achieve it reliably.........its a bonus when it does achieve it.
One thing is for sure , whenever the heart is rendered non-viable the animal is not going any great distance before expiring.

"Solid" & "Soft" are projectile specific terminology that has little to do with the definition of a physical solid or whether the projectile is monometal or bi-metallic.
The projectile terminology is based on whether the projectile readily deforms on impact or not.
ie
a thicker more rigid jacket that prevents a projectile from deforming on impact is accorded the description "solid" irrespective of what its core is.
Then we go stupid & with 22LR projectiles & a "solid" there is just a soft without a HP.
The term "solid" in projectile terminology is inconsistent , but has a specific context of use.

Again slighty off-topic, but fishing rods have a similar terminology issue in that we have fast action rods & parabolic actioned rods that bend well into the butt..........the reality is that in physical terms they are both bending in a parabola.
Context of use determines its meaning as a specific terminology, rather than Webster's Dictionary or a Physics textbook.
( tragedy of the english language ) Smiler

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
DenisB,
quote:
2. All four spheres have the same sd.
Yes, what was I thinking? Probably not thinking and thanks for catching that one.

SR4759,
I would still like to know: What do you call this bullet?

Trax,
quote:
GSC-HV....an expanding softpoint made from one solid-integral component of copper.

NF-SP an expanding softpoint comprising of a combination of different metals/components.

GscFN solid....comprising of a singular component, one solid monometal mass of copper.

WL-FMJ RN-solid....comprising of a lead core encased in a steel FMJ.

Exactly so. In order for us to avoid such long descriptive explanations to people like SR4759, it would be just as accurate to say:

GSC-HV is a mono soft
NF-SP is a solid shank soft
GscFN is a mono solid
WL-FMJ RN is a cup and core solid

We would know exactly what is meant. One must just use the terms already established and not try to make up words because one does not know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
We often see this term "work" pop up in discussions that has to do with ballstics.

I would like to hear what everyone here thinks Work means or what it is and what they believe it's reationship is to mass, velocity, force, momentum and heaven forbid SD ?

And how does that apply to the creation of a wound? After all this is what it's all about ?

You are not asking much there ALF......He He

work is the energy transfer dynamic in penetration
some of the energy is soaked up by the "transformation" of the projectile, most transfers into whats being penetrated.
Other than a solid :-
SD declines as work is done in the penetration event
work per unit time/distance increases as SD
declines

similarly work per unit time/distance is proportionate to drag from what is being penetrated.
Severity of wound along penetration is proportionate to the work per unit time/distance.

Someone else can have a go at the m.V,F & momentum specifics.
other than
work possible is:-
- proportionate to mass
-"logarithmically" proportionate to velocity
( work from velocity is inversely proportionate per unit time/distance in penetration.)
- work per unit time/distance is inversely proportionate to force along penetration.
work per unit time/distance is inversely proportionate to momentum along penetration.

I hope the context of work per unit time/distance is appropriate in the response to the intent of your question.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:Sorry you do not comprehend Gerard,
But solid means solid- not a composite of various metals.

Uh, no, Gerard fully understood and correctly answered. A solid is basically a non-expanding bullet and not only a bullet that is monometal.

Perhaps you do not understand either.
An FMJ does not constitute a solid....

It does constitute a solid as it is designed not to expand. For more than 100 years they have been considered solids. You are using a literal interpretation of the word, solid. Monometal solids (a more true definition of the term) are a more recent design phenomenon. But, in the past and in the present, the shooting world has considered full-metal jacket bullets to be solids.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What we have then is;
(Pi x R³ x 4/3)/(2R x Pi) x Density = 2R²/3 x Density where R is the radius.

(Pi x R³ x 4/3)/(2R x Pi) = 2R²/3

unfortunately there is an 'oops' in there
the frontal surface area of the sphere formula should be (2 x R x R x Pi)
and the rate of change of SD relative to radius of sphere reduces to 2R/3.

Dang! I botched that one badly! It's the surface area and volume that's non-linear to the diameter but the surface and frontal area are linear to the volume.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:

Dang! I botched that one

Cool

everyone slips up now & again ........He He
Technical threads like this one have a fair chunk of mental gymnastics between what you are reading & what you are typing, its real easy to have a 'blonde' moment & perception of question or context of answer out of whack.

I was relieved when I saw the thumbs up in Alf's last post when I opened up this morning.
I was not totally confident I had the right context in my response to his question
& was half expecting a killpc moment this morning.

Ha Ha .......I sort of feel lucky to have survived this thread so far with my skin intact

Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, the old saw that more sectional density, as a single factor, will give more penetration, has now been laid to rest?

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, the old saw that more sectional density, as a single factor, will give more penetration, has now been laid to rest?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well
Sort of

It does depend on whether you are talking the SD on the packet or the real one in the penetration event.

Methinks the real SD in the penetration event and its relationship to penetration depth has been adequately laid to rest.

No doubt there will still be some that read sectional density numbers on an ammunition box & apply it out of context

Life wasn't meant to be easy ..... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf; You should review the difference between
Momentum and Energy.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading Pierre van der Walt's book on African DG Cartridges and that and the current discusion here got me to look into the the use of of the area of the bullet rather than bullet diameter in computing SD.

Using the table presented by van der Walt on page 79 and computing the "Incorrect SD" and the "Correct SD", I came up with the fact that all of the bullets listed had their SD increased by 27.2% when the"Correct SD" was computed. This means that it is a linear relationship and other than a change in magnitude for each bullet it does not seperate the bullets any further than the "Incorrect SD" formula. Therefore ALF, what is its value?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I’ve copied this from Wikipedia relating to Sectional Density… take it for what it’s worth but I have no interest in purchasing multiple books in order to determine why a particular bullet may or may not work best within targeted game. I have however copied the various sections of reference 2 into a single pdf file and have read it multiple times and it exceeds my need for information relative to this issue. I did highlight the last sentence of the paragraph.
quote:
Use in ballistics

…….

Within terminal ballistics, the sectional density of a projectile is one of the determining factors for projectile penetration. The interaction between projectile (fragments) and target media is however a complex subject. A study regarding hunting bullets shows that besides sectional density several other parameters determine bullet penetration.[2][3] Only if all other factors are equal, the projectile with the greatest amount of sectional density will penetrate the deepest.

References
1. ^ Bryan Litz. Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting.
2. ^ Shooting Holes in Wounding Theories: The Mechanics of Terminal Ballistics
3. ^ MacPherson D: Bullet Penetration—Modeling the Dynamics and the Incapacitation Resulting From Wound Trauma. Ballistics Publications, El Segundo, CA, 1994.

Agree or disagree…I provide this comment solely as to the highlighted last sentence of the paragraph and for the information of its preceding sentences…

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
465H&H:

Our concern with bullets basically has to do with outcome, that outcome or desire for outcome has two applications.

Design to assure outcome and secondly , and likely the source of the majority of research the treatment of effects of outcome.

Without knowledge of how outcome is derived we are at a loss.

We can like many bullet makers proclaim in advertising that certain aspects of their particular design will be responsible for a specific desired outcome, hence their publication of certain data parameters.

Example:

They publish their values of SD of their products in tables in books or on the packaging of the box, the assumption or intent being that with knowledge of this data a user can be assured that that their product behave in a certain manner. The same applies to the publishing of kinetic energy as a value in a table.

What they omit to say is that this published SD may change if their bullet deforms or fragments or turns in the target. The same applicable to kinetic energy.... it's not the total energy thats important it's the instantaneous energy at the point of contact with the target and the amount of energy actually shed to the target thats at issue..... so publishing that data is actually a useless exercise when it comes to reality.

So if I were to use say a Sierra Matchking and a Barnes triple X and say one of these Cutting edge non con expanders the outcome would be the same because SD was the same or momentum was the same, when clearly they are not !

We can use a FN solid and a RN solid with same parameters and their behaviour and outcome is definetely not the same..... so why then the difference.

If static SD is the same, mass is the same and velocity is the same between the 3 examples cited why do they behave so differently.

The answer as some would contend is design and construction, which is in part true but from a physics point of view and purposes of description it boils down to dynamic SD and instantanous energy.

The effect of the reaction of the target in reaction to the behaviour of the projectile in question and its subsequent effects on the parameters cited is vastly different between the 3 examples cited.

Even if we use the same bullet same construction and vary only velocity and mass to give the same momentum the outcome differs.

So if we were to design a projectile from inception we need to ask the question to what purpose?

What is the desired outcome ? is this to be a Varmint bullet ? , is this for hunting elephant ? , or perhaps is this a bullet of war and the rules of engagement are dictated to by a convention of international law.

If for instance the purpose is projectiles with non lethal qualities to do crowd control with, then we have to know first hand what it takes to penetrate skin in terms of parameter values, we need to know how wounds are created and only then can we set about assuring a design that achieves the goal.

If on the other had we require highly lethal projectiles designed to take down a perp in a crowd without injury to innocent bystanders then again knowledge of the true nature of the wound production is a requirement. So we go on right down to munitions that give very deep penetration.

From a medical point of view we have applied treatment strategies on the one side and forensics on the other where the result of examination and analysis influences outcome in legal disputes.

In courts the correct interpretation of fact may mean the difference between guilty and aquittal in legal dispute. example: A common point of dispute whether momentum of a bullet has the ability to throw a body back when impacted.

In the field of surgical practice our treatment protocols are dictated to by the knowledge of etiology, it is after all a requirement under our ethical obligation as physicians.

ALF,

Maybe I am just dense but you have given a long and in depth answer to a question that I didn't ask. I actually understood what you are saying and have understood it for some time.

My question had to do with the use of an SD based on bullet diameter as opposed to bullet frontal area. Since they are linear, what is the advantage to using the frontal area in SD calculation and if so, why??

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In its simplest terms SD defines the mass
(Inertia) pressing an Area (Pressure at the
point) which defines the capability of penetration. Of course as the bullet penetrates
it gives up it's velocity resulting in lower
Momentum and Kinetic Energy. No amount of
ranting and pontififating can change this.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:

My question had to do with the use of an SD based on bullet diameter as opposed to bullet frontal area. Since they are linear, what is the advantage to using the frontal area in SD calculation and if so, why??

465H&H

My take on this is that the use of bullet diameter to provide an SD number is an ammunition industry standard because its focus is on the ballistics in air.
and
whichever method of SD calc you use has negligible influence on the ballistic outcome in air because the SD is stable in that event.
Bullet shape which takes into account the influence of the linear relationship of diameter to actual frontal area in the ballistic event in air calculating trajectory drop & drift ( the outcome of interest in that particular event)............is provided by BC.

The calculation of the ballistic event in air generates a BC number which is a comparator to the trajectory of a "standard" projectile.
this method of analysing the ballistic event in air creates a BC number which includes influences from a number of sources where this methodology includes the influence of shape & thus frontal area into the BC number.
The ballistic calculators are not exact because of the methodology ( some are more simple than others & less exact).
The shooter tests the predicted numbers against his actuals & makes correction charts.

That way of dealing with the ballistic event in air is of no use whatsoever in analysing & predicting the ballistic event of impact and penetration on the target.
primarily because the SD of the projectile after impact is dynamic and frontal area becomes pre-eminent in analysing & predicting the extent of penetration and the severity of tissue damage adjacent to the path of penetration(s).

I hope the context of the reply is appropriate to the intent of your question.
ie
- the objects of ballistics analysis in air is drop & drift.
- the objects of ballistics analysis in impact is the nature & extent of damage.
The influence of how you calculate SD in the former is negligible
The influence of how you calculate SD in the latter is immense.

FWIW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry I misunderstood:

You are assuming that the projectile is symmetrical and that it meets its environment head on.And that Surface area A is a scaled fraction or multiplication of the original area described by circumference of the bullet as implied in the static SD value on the box.

But projectiles are not necessarily symmetrical nor do they present themselves as round discs. Oblong projectiles ( L>d)have this peculiar tendency to overturn in the target ie turn their side profile to the target some time during the process , others fragment either into discreet non symmetrical fragments or non symmetrical parts still attached to the body of the bullet. The fragments are even more peculair in that they turn side on and then remain in that position.

How do we account for these in absolute numbers?

The number itself is not important, but rather the implication of a low or high SD as an indicator of how much resistance the target is going to offer at that point in time.

The measure of that resistance showing as the volume of target material dsplaced by the passing projectile.

We see so often that someone says this bullet has a SD of so much and that one this much and therefore bad, or good ?

Yes pre impact SD numbers are only important and valid if the projectile remains intact, holds its posture and does not deform; and not to forget that there is sufficient velocity to actually support cavitation around the projectile. ( below 200 fps cavitation is no longer supported and the whole projectile surface becomes wetted.... we see this with arrow wounds when an arrow impacts a visco elastic target and the arrow is tipped with a target or field point. Once the arrow is removed the cavity collapses to a very small tunnel only.

Otherwise the exact number is of little value, not to mean SD as entity is not important.

The Important aspect of SD is that during penetration it links to momentum, because the mass fraction is in motion it has velocity and it interacts through that important surface area A . The resistance it meets is a function of velocity, not just velocity but the square of the velocity and that surface area A

ALF,

I am well aware of all the variables that you mention above. That still doesn't answer my question. Please focus! You have stated that it is preferable to use SD with a cross sectional area component rather than just a diameter component. My question is why. What do you gain by chosing one over the other if thet are linear?

This is a test of your ability to focus and answer the question asked. Wink

465H&H

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sd figure printed on box may not be very indicative of the bullets Sd in test media or live game.

and to make things more complicated;

the deformed bullets Sd can vary according to different deformation reactions achieved in the variety of different artificial test medias, and those differing results can also differ from the bullets deformation/reaction achieved when fired into live game.

Then take into account the effects of different impact velocities that further effect/alter a bullets Sd in the same media.

The same impact velocity in the same media can effect various different bullets [of the same cal.weight/Sd]... very differently.

one should sensibly take into account these factors in a bullet:

1.materials
2.construction
3.design

A winchester 7mm160Fs and 7mm Woodleigh160, can have the same Sd in an unfired bullet,
but they can react/behave in very different manner to each other during HV impact.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[

QUOTE]Originally posted by ALF:
465H&H

"Sorry i do not recall that I claimed it is preferred to use cross sectional area and not outside diameter ?""

ALF,

From a very early post of yours on this thread.

Quote:

"Taken literally without proper consideration SD as a value does not fit and often makes no sense.

When given it's [properI] definition stating that SD is the ratio of a projectiles mass to the cross sectional surface area of its presenting part in the direction of motion the true nature of SD as a entity in ballistics becomes apparent".

Sounds to me that you stated a SD with a cross sectional area component is proper but one that uses cross sectional diameter is not proper assuming both use the wetted surface measurement.

BC proponents,

It is my understanding that BC for a bullet changes depending on in flight velocity changes. The BC of a bullet at subsonic velocities is not the same as the BC for the same bullet when it is super sonic or sitting in its box.

Penetration depth of a bullet in game or simulation media is a function on many variables which include but are not limited to, mass, velocity, construction materials, diameter, nose shape and media resistance to name a few. It seems that some kick out the importance of SD because other variables also affect penetration. But the same can be said for velocity, construction, nose shape, mass etc. No one parameter will be linearly related to penetration without standardizing all of the other variables.

465H&H

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF (Posted 01 July 2012 21:48):
And yet those who are promoting these bullets deny that SD has anything to do with it, there are some in the chorus who even proclaim that SD id old fashioned and somehow it does not apply to these new bullets..... The reason I suspect is that they rely on and apply the wrong definition.

In their thread they put SD low in the rankings when in fact is front and foremost in everything they do in design.

The fragments that are generated act just like a varmint bullet, low SD - high drag resulting in massive local energy transfer and thus potential damage as we see, the pictures posted on the terminal performance thread bear this out. (the logic however of showing something and them claiming it does not exist confuses me? you observe as shown by the pictures the effects of high drag caused by low SD and somehow then deny its existence.
Alf,

Four pages have been expended arguing over exactly what is the proper description of SD after the gun world for somewhat more than 100yrs has used the static definition of SD when referring to SD relating to bullets.

No one from what I’ve read in this thread, nor within the Terminal Bullet Performance thread that you just skewered, has stated that the mass of a bullet once impacting upon and penetrating game, some form of dry or wet pack materials, trees, plain old dirt, or perhaps from whence you draw many of your comments – the human body, does not change EXCEPT when the bullet is designed to not deform in these materials which will not preclude them from deforming when encountering extremely rough materials such as concrete, cinder blocks, etc.

What the TBP thread has preferred to concentrate upon are those items that are listed above SD which, as you note in your post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF (Posted 01 July 2012 21:48):
Through design we manipulate the bullet parameters of mass, velocity and cross sectional area which in turn evokes a specific target response which in fact is the wound.
because focusing upon these areas actually have resulted in the commercial production of bullets that perform as you’ve noted in the 1st quotation as well as those that do not deform in the materials that a hunter will normally encounter.

So since the TBP thread has nothing to do with nor interest in armor piercing bullets, those that participate in the TBP thread will likely continue to focus upon those aspects of the design and construction of the bullets that result in the bullet performing within-mass as they desire it to while game hunting… And because obviously the focus of the TBP thread is not the same as your focus SD will continue to be important – which is why it is listed – but will be of lower importance than the nuances of design and construction of the bullet(s).

I predict this thread will continue for one or more pages… I also predict that the TBP thread will continue its 2+ year building of information that is usable for the hunter. Thanks to Saeed the AR Forums has room for both.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALF:

1. I worked for a few years as a volunteer Rescue Squad EMT. Treatment for every wound I ever saw was determined by the injury; never was any treatment based on what caused the injury. I see no medical relivance to the question at hand.

2. Yeah, given different SDs and all else being the same/equal, the greater SD will obviously punch deeper, don't think anyone has or would suggest differently. But there are precious few bullets with different SDs that ARE the same, right? And it IS precisely those differences that blow SD away for any practical use.

Both your green and yellow charts with monolithic projectiles are interesting but they only 'prove' the obvious. Thus they are also irrelivant to the SD/penetration expectation of real bullets.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is....before the internet I had never heard of SD, BC,or "premium" or "bullet failure"

My Dad loaded Sierras for the entire family and we killed deer.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the most interesting thing in this thread has been about various member's perceptions about ballistics in the target and whether the dog wags the tail or the tail wags the dog when it comes to the relationship of SD to construction and penetration & wound severity.

The reality is that SD and the CEB Raptor's behavior in the target ( different to each end depending which is front & which is back at the time loaded) and its effectiveness in delivering the different type of wound they do is entirely dependent upon & determined by the dynamic change in SD (or Not)when it reaches the target.
- resistance encountered determines the response of the projectile
-as the notched HP mushrooms the increase in SD increases resistance & determines the ability of the shards to separate & the direction they travel
once separated , their SD determines how far they travel & the wound severity they create
The SD of the remaining shank & the energy it retains determines where it goes & how much damage it does.

To think otherwise is a defiance of basic physics.
SD has a pre-eminence in the behavior of the projectile & its parts in the penetration event.
The construction is manipulating the susceptibility of the projectile to fracture,
SD & the physics of the penetration event determine what happens.
construct the projectile differently & the behavior will be different the reason its different is determined by the different way that projectile manipulates ITS reaction to the penetration event .
The physics determines what happens in that event.
The physics determiners why -
- a CEB
- a Nosler partition
- a Berger VLD
- and manipulation of a standard cup & core with a heavy cannelure
all have different penetration results
ie the construction is manipulating the physical reaction of the projectile to the event , the physics determines & describes the event.

I do not recollect Alf 'dissing' the TBP thread nor CEBs...........all he has said is that what some are ascribing to construction & its pre-eminence is flawed .......not that the projectile design is flawed.
construction determines the reaction of the projectile in impact The physics determines what happens at that point & from that point onward.
You can only manipulate the reaction of the projectile to the penetration event , you cannot change the rules of the physics of the event.
You can't create mass, momentum or energy , you can only disperse it .
In a fragmenting projectile:-
Construction determines the susceptibility of the projectile to respond to the physics of penetration in a particular way
The physics describes both the dispersal event of the projectile into parts and the behavior of those parts whether its a CEB or a cup & core.
If the construction is not compatible with the physics limitations of the event, the event will not occur in the manner hoped for in choosing a particular construction.
Lots of variables affect the penetration event Whats immutable in the event is that the dynamic SD of the whole &/or parts determines the severity of the event and that it trades off penetration for severity of adjacent damage to the path of penetration of the whole or the parts.

Construction contributes to the event , but it doesn't determine the event , its physics that determines the event and its SD that is the pre-eminent driver of the physical event.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Hi Denis,

I may have been a bit harsh with my 'dissing' comment to Alf so I will apologize for the comment. And being a true hilbily by birth I likely have the wrong perception of things… And for those that automatically bewildered NO I didn’t date nor marry my mother, my sister, my daughter, or any other close relative.

I understand ‘basic physics’ but I don’t recollect where I or any within the TBP thread have stated or alluded to the perception that physics didn’t control the actions of the bullet from the time it departs the cartridge case until such time as it – or its main part – comes to rest. Heck I even read about stuff like this:
quote:
Schoolboy 'genius' solves puzzles posed by Sir Isaac Newton that have baffled mathematicians for 350 years

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...s.html#ixzz1zU7Vr7jg

But perhaps you have tumbled upon the reason why we – I’ll use the collective we here to include the majority of the participants in the TBP thread – prioritize things somewhat differently than Alf, and perhaps yourself, by extracting this part of your post (I’ve bolded your last sentence):
quote:
construction determines the reaction of the projectile in impact The physics determines what happens at that point & from that point onward.
You can only manipulate the reaction of the projectile to the penetration event , you cannot change the rules of the physics of the event.
You can't create mass, momentum or energy , you can only disperse it .
In a fragmenting projectile:-
Construction determines the susceptibility of the projectile to respond to the physics of penetration in a particular way
The physics describes both the dispersal event of the projectile into parts and the behavior of those parts whether its a CEB or a cup & core.
If the construction is not compatible with the physics limitations of the event, the event will not occur in the manner hoped for in choosing a particular construction.
Lots of variables affect the penetration event Whats immutable in the event is that the dynamic SD of the whole &/or parts determines the severity of the event and that it trades off penetration for severity of adjacent damage to the path of penetration of the whole or the parts.

Construction contributes to the event, but it doesn't determine the event, its physics that determines the event and its SD that is the pre-eminent driver of the physical event.
I’m unaware of any posters on the TBP thread that disagree with your statement “its physics that determines the event” nor with your statement “its SD that is the pre-eminent driver of the physical event”… Again we do not disagree with these statements.

So now we have construction which should properly fall within your statement “you can only manipulate the reaction of the projectile to the penetration event”. Again with this I do not believe we – again the imperial TBP thread we – disagree with your statement. In fact we have verified that the many nuances of comprising construction can and will greatly affect this ‘manipulation’ both positively and negatively; whether this manipulation is directed towards the straight-line within-mass penetration of a solid or the optimum combination of high velocity/low velocity petal sheer and remaining shank’s straight-line within-mass penetration.

The ‘we’ are fully aware that two FN solids completely identical in outward shape but one being heavier than the other due to the materials used to construct each solid will likely not give identical results as the materials may react differently to the physical event. The ‘we’ are fully aware that two NonCon bullets completely identical in outward shape but each having different dimensions to their HP likely will react differently to the physical event. This is why to the vast majority of the TBP thread participants place much more important upon the nuances of the bullet construction, than the static SD of the bullet, because how the bullet reacts to the physical event could lead to the death or injury of the hunter, PH, guide, or any others in the hunting party. After all the TBP thread is contained within the Big Bore Forum and their hunted game is often comprised of those game animals having a propensity to kill or severely injure those individuals who have caused injury to it.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
So being a keen follower of Shooting fashion I am keenly aware of the claims made by this and that "new bullet" or this and that new gun.

To my reasoning and correct me if i'm off base here if someone claims a product to be 'better than" then it means somehow or somewhere a test or head to head comparison was undertaken to serve as a basis for this claim?

So along came Gerard and his fine products, way before AR and there by virtue of being faced with what i saw as a failure of one manufacturers product I tried his bullets and they worked as advertised.

His HV's shot at high velocity really had a visible effect on animals when shot, it was someone literally pushed down on them form above.... the incapacitation was immediate !

As to this FN' that came later I do not think anyone could dispute that they too lived up to their claim.

Here on AR at least there was a love fest for these bullets.

Pages and pages of gloating praise for the conical flat . The very gods of AR proclaimed their worth!

Though sadly the reasoning given for why they worked often misrpresented by many even to the point of a reprint of bogus science in Pierre van Der Walts first edition on big bore cartridges.

There was even a direct copied reference to how these worked on Wikipedia untill, luckily for the sake of scientifc accuracy someone saw the errors and removed the whole article from wikipedia.

But something always bothered me, did success of one mean that the others suddenly did not work, by this I mean old style RN's and conventional cup and cores in their different presentations?

If so how come so many before had success with these ?

Many many animals fell before these old bullets ?

Many brave and famous men;

and really were they then so bad that one could not take them on a hunt?

And now suddenly a even "newer bullet" the "magic bullet" to end all other bullets,;

even the conical flat has been discarded for some new FN nose profile !

What I ask? : just yesterday these conicals were just the thing, now they are, well shall we say not so good ?

So were those who sang the praises of the conical flat right here on AR then wrong?

how could they be, could a finer bunch of descerning experts on matters hunting be so easily swayed by this new design ?

Again up pops the question in my mind......

if the new is better than the old how was the "state of better" determined

As "proof of evidence" an whole thread on AR is presented, multiple tests conducted using these new bullets ?
Observations claimed to support the findings in the tests.

This presented me with a dilemma because presentations are made regarding observations and conclusions derived in tests that do not test for question asked or the observation made in the first place.

it sound simple enough to take two bullets of different nose design fire them into a test medium compare penetration depth and then to claim one penetrates deeper than the other.

No problems so far ! no argument with the observed result.

But here comes the the kicker, the assumption and conclusion made that it is the nose design that is the cause of deeper penetration ?

This is in dispute because the test design does not directly test for nose profile alone...... it is assumed that it does but in reality it does not. One has to design a test that tests for nose design only and that is not so easy as many who do it for a living will attest to.

Nor the assummptions and conclusions regarding so called "trauma" to the test medium..... damage in the test medium does not equate to trauma is living tissue, damage to the test medium is a crude representation of temporary cavititation ie stretch, not necessariliy tearing !

But what is more bizarre is that a further coclusion is reached and that is that because of conclusion number one the one nose profile would be a 'better' bullet than the other, by this we are led to believe that one would be a better stopper of charging mice than the other ? The stopping of mice was never tested for!

Now I deal in medicine, every day new treatments are offered in place of the old. Just like our bullet thread, evidence is offered as proof.

The problem facing medicine however is that a burden of proof has to be presented that the evidence is in fact valid. That is how it works in the real world !

You cannot lay claim to " better" without proof that " better is in fact better" !

This, as anyone actually dealing with this small irritating, always in the way little detaille knows is not so easy.

In the real world do we slam someone for questioning the evidence, no! in fact we celebrate it, is that not what we claim to be? informed, wake up intelligent people who refuse to be taken..... on AR not so much.

You ask the questions and you get ousted and name called as some dumb ass .

Now does this mean I dismiss the whole thread as a whole? No! does this mean I think these new bullets do not work, Again no and finally do I have some agenda against those proponets of the tests or bullets absolutely not !
Alf,

I don't have sufficient fingers on both hands to count the number of times that the individual who conducted - at his own personal expense and time - the testing that you discounted then just as you do now invited you to present any physical testing that you personally have conducted that refutes any of the results of his testing. You never producted any work product of your own instead you continued to quote the work of some other individuals work product which typically dealt with bullet inflicted trauma to human beings...nothing relating to dangerous game animals.

And for those of you reading this thread who have not bothered to read the Terminal Bullet Performance thread up on the Big Bore Forum...the individual (Michael458) who started that thread and who accomplished all of the testing - did so at his own expense, on his own time, at his own indoor range, for his own personal knowledge. He is a Forester by profession, not a scientist, and has stated that any reader is free to use or not use any of the information contained within that thread.

Alf I am knowledgable of the fact that today you are still welcome to present your own personal work product on the TBP thread to refute and/or supplement anything that Michael has posted; I look forward to reading it someday in the future.

I'll leave this thread now so a response to me is no longer necessary.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No where in the tests performed do I see a head to head test testing for lethality !...

...there are pictures of stacks of paper shot to a pulp and pictures of dead animals.....

...There are plenty of pictures of dead animals right here on AR not shot with these bullets and yet they are stone dead...

whether one uses artificial test media or actual live game, one can go try impressing people with differing[increased] amounts of damage/disruption/displacement of matter....leading them to believe that the projectile that caused more disruption is the more lethal.

In some peoples minds This amount of damage is supposedly more lethal than This amount.

Im sure the wound path-tissue damage in this hog is way less dramatic [rather boring] compared to what you may see from a modern HV bullet.
Yet a HV rifle or pistol bullet that creates substantially more damage/permanent matter displacement[than a broadhead] does not necessarily mean greater lethality or a more rapid death.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
It might be argued that it's proof of the effectiveness of a high SD. Roll Eyes archer

Actually, the effectiveness of that arrow is rather impressive! So was the shooting.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote