New
Find
Notify
Tools

The use of Sectional Density
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there someone that can explain the use and need for Sectional Density of bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sectional density has no need on bullets it
should be outlawed.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search for "sectional" under the Find tab and you'll find all of the replies you could ever want.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sectional density quantifies the penetrative ability of bullets - sorta. Briefly, a long thin bullet penetrates better than a short fat one of the same weight. Half a century ago when most all bullets were cup-and-core SD was useful in deciding how well a particular bullet might penetrate in an animal. But with today's high tech bullets the usefulness of SD is limited.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
Sectional density has no need on bullets it
should be outlawed.

+1

And The management at Woodleigh the first against the wall when the revolution happens.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If SD is meaningless, then will a 300 grn. .458 tsx penatrate just as well as a 300 grn .375 tsx at the same velosity (2400 fps)? If not, why?

Posts: 1074 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
If SD is meaningless, then will a 300 grn. .458 tsx penatrate just as well as a 300 grn .375 tsx at the same velosity (2400 fps)? If not, why?

Sd does not take into acount bullet construction or impact velocity, hence it is by itself a meaningless term.

Since bullet construction is not accounted for, why not throw a 300 gr .458" solid into the mix? How will it penetrate compared to the 300 gr .375" tsx?

Conversely you can take bullets of identical caliber and weight, hence identicle sd and construct them completely different. One very lightly constructed, one more heavily constructed, one a solid. All identical sd's, all very different performance.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sd does not take into acount bullet construction ... hence it is ... a meaningless term....

that should be ignored because it IS meaningless today.

SD is a simple math relationship based entirely on mass and diameter. Meaning a thin jacket/soft core light game bullet which may 'explode' on contact has exactly the same SD as a solid core Barnes bullet of the same weight and diameter but the difference in penatration will be massive.

SD doesn't account for speed at all so the impact velocities should be the same for whatever bullets we may be (honestly)trying to compare.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I understand it correctly, SD is a mathematical calculation based on the diameter & weight of a projectile that was derived long ago when bullets were either lead or a combination of lead and copper. For example all .308 cal 180g bullets have the same SD regardless of their shape, construction or velocity. With a traditional cup/core bullets , in the same caliber, the only way to increase it's weight is to make it longer thus increasing it's weight and SD and therefore increasing it's ability to penetrate, SD does not take into consideration the material, shape, construction or velocity of the bullet. Do you believe that a 30 cal 180g roundnose traveling at 2400fps made in 1950 is going to penetrate as well as a 180g 30 cal Nosler partition, Swift A-frame, Barnes X or CEB also traveling at 2400fps ? Not Hardly , but SD theory would have you believe so.
Personally, I believe it's an antiquated idea(theory) that has been completely debunked by modern technology and testing.I believe those hanging on to the SD theory are trying to mix yesteryears apples w/ modern oranges. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you guys honestly mean to tell me mass has no significance in ballistics?
Are you honestly telling us that surface area of a body in motion has nothing to do with ballistics

Well, When I select a bullet for the job or game i plan to use it for. I consider this. How is it constructed Is It a A_frame, a solid, or some other design. Are we not talking about SD? the mass of the bullet.
to kill an elephant I would use a bullet that
that was constructed to kill an elephant not a bullet you would use on a gopher..

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf, a raw egg and a golf ball have near the same SD. Would you suggest that if we throw each at the same velocity at a mud bank they would penatrate the same? Or even nearly the same?

You do understand that a 150 gr. .30 cal bullet has a given SD no matter the rest of it's criteria and the SD will be the same no matter the highly variable point configuration/BC, at any velocity and for any construction? The SD will be the same no matter the BC, and it would be the same even if it were loaded backwards, but the penatration would be vastly different. All making SD a meaningless value in today's world.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying to discount SD by talking only about terminal ballistics is hilarious. If I am not killing an animal what good is your view point?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! What a collection of thoughts.
Sectional density is nothing more than the
Mass ahead of the bullet base. A given force
(pressure) will accelerate the bullet inversley
to it's mass (A=F/M). When a bullet strikes
a target the momentum (MV) is impacted across
an area equal to the bullet diameter. The higher. The higher the force the greatewr the penetration.
It has nothing to do with bullet drag or
other matters.
When some people get ahold of a High Shcool
Physics book they become dangerous.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are confusing cause and effect. Penetration
depends on the force applied. Other factors
depending on the medium will modify it but
the basic force depends on the ballstic coefficient. It is nothing more than the
applied pressure (force/area).
By your thought process it is the trees
moving that makes the wind blow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
folks tend to look on the SD thing a simply the ratio of mass to cross sectional surface area and in reality is is not what it seems when the projectile is in motion.

SD is not the same even for the same projectile ! it is dynamic,

ALF, if you have a formula for a "dynamic" sectional density it would be good if you show it. At this point, the only SD formula I've ever seen is a simple single-step calculation relating the diameter to the mass; that makes SD a 'static' thing that remains the same if the bullet is lying on the floor or in flight.

All of this is esoteric but SD was originally intended to suggest the potential for penatration in game. It worked very well for lead bullets in the black powder days and continued to be useful in the early days of jacketed bullets because the constrution was pretty much the same for all cup and core bullets, thus penetration remained somewhat predictable by SD.

All that begain to change in the 30s when bullet makers - mostly Winchester and Remington - developed methods of controlling the rates of expansion by variations in jackets and cores.

Bullet options really exploded in the 60s when custom makers began to develop vastly different bullet construction designs. So, today SD has become meaningless so far as predicting penetration and that was its only meaning to start with. When we look at a bullet maker's manual that shows the SD for a caliber and weight being the same even tho the bullets themselves vary from thin jacket hollow point, exposed point spitzer, round nose, FMJ, etc, it sorta gives us a hint that SD has no valid application for today's hunters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see two discussions here. One pertains to SD and "in flight" performance of the bullet. The other vein is dealing with terminal performance of the bullet "in flesh". Folks used to use SD as a means of assessing the potential performance of a bullet in an animal. SD may not be the best way to assess the performance of a bullet once it arrives at and enters the animal but it definitely is still an importance factor in exterior ballistics i.e. how and if the bullet will even get to the animal with the performance needed to get the job done.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ballisiic coefficient; Has nothing involved in
drag, Ha everything to do with Ballistic
Coefficient (as in bullet drift and drop).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought sectional density was how many folks lived or would fit in 640 acres. dancing

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drag in flight is ballistic coefficent. Sectional density is based on - suprise! - density and cross sectional area, it has no relationship to ballistic coefficent; they are totally different games.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for response on this matter. I now understand it beter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drag is the "Drag" of the bullet. Ballistic
Coeffifient involves Drag and Sectional density.
Drag is a measurement of the energy loss. The
Sectional density determines how much velocity
(momentum) is lost.
Google these terms for a good discussion.

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are speaking of Ballistic coefficient,
not sectional density. Do yourself (and others)
a favor and Goolge it up and read.

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Why don't we talk about how to use the metric stated in reloading manuals.

You can use SD as a relative measure of how bullets of similar construction and similar materials will penetrate across calibers.

For example:
180 grn .308 has an SD of .271
160 grn .284 has an SD of .283
150 grn .277 has an SD of .279

Therefore all three of these bullet weight/caliber combination will have similar penetration characteristics assuming similar construction and similar velocities. The 270 being in the middle, 7mm being a little bit better, the 30 caliber a little less.

Some historical rules of thumb:

SDs of .3 or greater excellent penetration
SDs of .27 reasonably heavy for caliber and very good penetration
SDs of .25 middle weight for caliber
SDs of .226 light for caliber with relatively low penetration compared to other bullet weights in its caliber.

Remember its relative; i.e. a .308 165 grn round nose solid will likely out penetrate a .308 180 grn ballistic tip because of bullet construction.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALF, what is your background? Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
Oh no!

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
You can use SD as a relative measure of how bullets of similar construction and similar materials will penetrate across calibers.

For example:
180 grn .308 has an SD of .271
160 grn .284 has an SD of .283
150 grn .277 has an SD of .279

Therefore all three of these bullet weight/caliber combination will have similar penetration characteristics assuming similar construction and similar velocities. The 270 being in the middle, 7mm being a little bit better, the 30 caliber a little less.

Some historical rules of thumb:

SDs of .3 or greater excellent penetration
SDs of .27 reasonably heavy for caliber and very good penetration
SDs of .25 middle weight for caliber
SDs of .226 light for caliber with relatively low penetration compared to other bullet weights in its caliber.

Remember its relative; i.e. a .308 165 grn round nose solid will likely out penetrate a .308 180 grn ballistic tip because of bullet construction.

Thank you Mike. For Hunters, that is all we need to know about SD.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This after all is what it's really about when looking at how projectile penetrate not that non - usefull entity defined by simply taking sd = m/d>2

ALF, you show the very simple calculation required to obtain SD; note there is no entry for velocity, drag or construction.

Properly stabalized bullets do fly point on so the forward cross sectional area remains constant over the course of flight. Even tho the bullets are dropping rapidly at long ranges they do not fly sideways to maintain the original angle of departure; bullet holes in 1,000 yard targets are quite round, not oblong.

The rest of us have been addressing how SD applies to bullets; we didn't mention nor do we care about esotoric discussions of whirling shell fragments, pointy steel recoil pads, etc. But, trust me, if you substitute a rubber knife for your steel one you'll get a better idea of how constuction changes things even tho the SD of the recoil remains constant.

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
The knife doesnt change SD it changes resistance the first few inches of penetration.

A rubber knife less than steel.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since all bullets cross-sections are circular it seems to me that comparing it with any other shape (like a knife blade) has no bearing whatsoever for any comparison.

I like to think that it is a combination of caliber and weight and velocity that inflicts damage. When I try to explain it to a new shooter/hunter I prefer to use the "needle" analogy to illustrate that velocity as a prime component of a measure of energy does not describe the effectiveness of the bullet on game as well as caliber and sectional density. If you take a 180 grain cylindrical projectile (like a .308 diameter bullet) and a 180 grain sewing needle (which would be very long indeed) and send them at equal velocities they would have equal energy. However the needle going through the body of the animal would inflict little damage (a very tiny cylindrical wound channel) but the .308" diameter bullet will create a much larger diameter wound channel.

So, energy alone does not describe wound damage, caliber alone does not describe wound damage, and sectional density alone does not describe wound damage.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post