New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Reloading Press??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am about ready to buy a reloading press but I am not sure which one to get.

I will load about 200 7mm Rem Mag and 300 or so 204 Ruger rounds per year. There is such a big price range so I am hoping to get some advice here from you all. I am not too worried about the price since I look at it as an investment but for my purposes I don't think I need anything too elaborate.

Whatdaya think?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rockchucker bolted to my bench. It has been there since 1980 and never missed a lick. It will do all I will ever need to do, and will do it all but effortlessly. In my mind, RCBS is as good as it gets...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
When price isn't a factor, any press from Lyman, Redding, RCBS & others will be well up to the job, though if accuracy& consistency is a major factor, a co-axial press might have the edge.
I use an RCBS Rockchucker & it produces ammunition far in excess of my shooting ability & would recommend the RCBS Rockchucker Master Reloading Kit to anyone just starting out who has a "bigger than Lee" budget.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
I just started reloading myself, and I love my Lee Breech Lock Challenger. One of the things I really like about it is that you can start off basic, and add accessories (primer feeder, more bushings) later.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend buying a used press off someone - you might get lucky and score a set of 7mm mag dies with it.

Then I'd buy a used scale, some powder, clearance bullets and primers and get busy!

Given the volume you're talking there's no need for anything more complex than a single stage press. If you can find a RockChuker you'll pretty much be set for life.

Good times!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff guys. What is a co-ax press?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
For the round count you will be loading you can take your pick of "O" frame

I own two Lee presses...the classic cast single and the load master

Both.....pound for pound for the $$$$$$ make me smile every week I pull a handle

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RugerNiner
posted Hide Post
Anything but this.

Posts: 35 | Location: Lancaster, Pa | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
Good stuff guys. What is a co-ax press?

Like this: Forster Co-axial Press

All the forces work in line, so there's no chance whatsoever of twisting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend the RCBS starter kit. It comes with a press & some other stuff you're going to want/need. You will have to buy some other items by themselves - trimmer & calipers come to mind here but at least you'll get the basic items. The RCBS warranty is second to none - even if you accidentally break something.
One other thing - get several manuals & read them before you start to get an idea as to the procedure.
Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only reload for hunting also, but since I started reloading; I built a back porch T bench; I shoot alot more with all my hunting guns playing around with loads & seating depth & ect.

I'm going to pick up a T7 soon as one is in stock so I can reload upstairs and downstairs where my bench setup is. I want a small bench upstairs so I can reload when I'm sitting around watching tv with the family.

I started out with a Redding Ultra Mag and would buy it all over again. You ain't going to bust up that press.

As far as dies, I like Redding & RCBS and always get the ones with micro dial on top, worth the extra bucks. Get a Sinclair Primer tool. Die wax, and a couple micrometers. My daughter got me a mitotoyo for fathers day a couple years back, best present I've gotten in a while. The mitotoyo is like $150 but so much smoother, adjustable than a 20 dollar micrometer. I never use my powder thrower, weigh everything on redding beam scale, don't like digital scales.

I've thought about a Dillon, but don't shoot enough to buy one new. I passed on a 550 once that was all set up for several calibers for $150; kicked myself ever since. Another one won't pass my eyes.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me there is Foster, RCBS and Redding AND THEN THE OTHER PRESSES. You cannot go wrong with any one of these presses. Sine you intend to use it for Magnum Calibre's, stick to these three brands. You will use them for 20-30 years. With the OTHER PRESSES, you will have to replace them within 3-5 years since they break levers, link meganisms etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your shooting and reloading numbers will go up when you get your own set-up. However, unless you have used someone else's rig and are definitely commited, I'd get the lee inro kit. regardless of the statements about using XXX press for years, you'll be able to heir the lee press to your grandchildren.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not so sure about the Lee kit.

Lee's powder scale is the worst piece of crap that I have ever used. Its magnetic damper does not do much dampening leaving the beam oscillating for what seems forever. It is almost guaranteed to discourage a new reloader from enjoying the reloading process.

The press shown in the photo is no doubt a good one. So is the hand priming tool. The rest of the stuff is 3 rate and most will go unused or replaced after you gain some experience.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am leaning toward the Rockchucker and the Forster but am wondering if the Forster is worth the extra money for my purposes.

I also plan on buying a Scale/Dispenser as well...any recommendations?? There is quite a price range

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 16 May 2013 00:06 Hide Post
I am leaning toward the Rockchucker and the Forster but am wondering if the Forster is worth the extra money for my purposes.

absolutely

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've used a Herters "O" press or Rockchucker since 196?.

The old primers will wind up on the floor even on the new Rockchucker. Co-ax has a nice little cup.

rich

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of the Forster press.
I think many of its so called features are nothing but marketing hype and have no real benefit and in some cases the so called features are negatives. I certainly would never use one for heavy case forming.
I really dislike the long, long swing of the press handle.
The press works but I would not buy one even if the prices was competitive.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hornady LnL AP ... and don't look back .. buy a 10 pack of bushings, and a second powder thrower DRUM ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a Lyman Spartan press since 1977. My son just got the Hornady LocNLoad starter kit. I am impressed with the quality. RCBS Rockchucker is good also.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you step up to the progressive pistol press then Dillon is the only way to go.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forster Co-Ax with Forster dies.

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
IMO, the RCBS Rockchucker is by far the best press out there. I bought one used years ago and it is still going strong without a hiccup. If you ever do any case forming, no press will perform as well and you will be glad you have the RC. I'm sure there are some just as good, but I personally am not aware of any.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Get several different reloading manuals, figure out what you want and look on ebay. Buy quality stuff. If you buy RCBS and you have a problem with it RCBS will still honor the lifetime warranty even if you were not the original buyer.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RugerNiner:
Anything but this.

You actually do need one, but just to decap your cases so that you keep the crud and abrasive primer dust off your primary press. But that's the reason for it. I would consider using one for seating too, floating the shellholder.

I have a Rockchucker and can recommend them. If I bought now I would give lots of thought to the Lee Classic Cast. They are getting good reviews.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). If you are serious about reloading, it is an addictive hobby. You will never have enough. You will always want to try something else. Otherwise you can go cheap and be real happy.

#2). I would start with something simple like the LEE hand press. It ain't much, but it will get the job done and give you and idea which way you want to go. Lyman had a hand press I liked better. Not sure it is still around. I used them to decap many, many mil surp cases. Full length sizing is work but good exercise and educational. The target boys don't even use presses... Straight line dies...

RCBS stands for "Rock Chucker Bullet Swages." Mr Huntington built the Rockchucker press to swage bullets from fire rimfire cases. Way plenty of power. Now the Jr. without the knuckle to magnify your power made full length sizing .44 mag case WORK... (So I bought a Rockchucker long ago...) If you come to want to go that direction, the corbins, Dave at corbins.com and Rich at rceco.com, have the Rolls Royce presses. Hydralics too if you can afford it. (Designed to swage bullets...)

As said, the "deals" abound on ebay and it is hard to "muck up" a press unless you leave it in the rain for years...

Scales? Worry about the check weights. You want to be "on the money" whatever scale you have or you overload a book load (scale is short) and you might be picking "gun" out of your face.

I have great respect for LEE's low prices. If that is all you need. If you want more precision, more ruggedness, or more looks, your bucks, there are others. You will probably find your best, most accurate loads a bit below maximum and a dipper properly used or a powder measure will give you that load real accurate.

Dies are not complicated. Find the ones that suit and take care of them.

The rest??? I have heard of lubing cases with lanolin, PAM, stp, ... My preference is Imperial Die Wax... one little can will last you half a lifetime. Neck reamers? LEE's is o.k. but your fingers get sore after the first 100 cases. You going to load 100 at a time?

Then there is swaging military crimped primers? You thought of making .204 out of .223. Don't think it works the best but I like the CH4d.com crimp tool best.

You have begun a very interesting journey. Very. Luck. Happy Trails.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Haught:
If you step up to the progressive pistol press then Dillon is the only way to go.

No sir. I own several brands. This is voice of the under informed.

The lnl is the price of the 550 and all the features, and then some, of the 650.

Read the realguns review of both

Oh. I have both Dillion and Hornady progressives on my bench. Do you?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I've used my CO-AX ( Bonanza ) still made today for 45 years. I have tried all the brands out there over the years.
None of them will handle the magnum rounds like the CO-AX press will. It is the best single stage, mass produced, reloading press made to date.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=24822

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
One problem with the co-ax

Long micrometer topped dies wont fit under the handle

I'll stick with the Lee Classic Cast and there are no flies on my new Loadmaster 223 ammo plant

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 17 May 2013 05:35 Hide Post
One problem with the co-ax

Long micrometer topped dies wont fit under the handle

huh?? mine do

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that I am going to order Redding Big Boss since I hear that the Rockchuckers are now made in China.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am about ready to buy a reloading press but I am not sure which one to get.

I will load about 200 7mm Rem Mag and 300 or so 204 Ruger rounds per year. There is such a big price range so I am hoping to get some advice here from you all. I am not too worried about the price since I look at it as an investment but for my purposes I don't think I need anything too elaborate.

Whatdaya think?

Depends. I use the Hornady LnL for all my high volume stuff, 45 APC, 45 Colt, 357, etc. For loading medium and large bores I use an RCBS press. Except for a powder cop, I use all RCBS dies.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I have both the Rockchucker and the Co-Ax. Both have been excellent. The Forster priming station works easily and flawlessly. Decapping is a piece of cake with it as well. If I had to choose for a single stage press, the Forster Co-Ax would be the one.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that I am going to order Redding Big Boss since I hear that the Rockchuckers are now made in China.

Don't believe the rumours, as they are absolutely untrue.
I emailed RCBS about this rumour & received a detailed reply refuting it & other internet BS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using an RCBS Rock Chucker II for twenty years with no problems; had used a Lee Challenger press but wanted a heavier duty press.

RCBS is coming out with a new single stage press called the Summit this year. I don't know if it will take away from the legendary RC but it looks interesting.

http://www.rcbs.com/whatsnew/#newproducts

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option is the lyman orange crusher. It is very simular to the RCBS. I don't know what the money difference is but I can say that they are TOUGH presses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading for 25+ years (it shocks me to be able to say that cus it means holly ship Im actulally getting old) I have reloading equipment from just about everyone. I own 2 RCBS rockchuckers, a Hornady LNL AP press, Lee case trimmers, RCBS BB scales, Hornady hand primer, Hornady collet bullet puller, PACT auto powder dispencer, dies by Lee, RCBS, and Foster. In short a little of just about everybody.

You will not go wrong with a full sized press from RCBS, Hornady, or Lee, thay all will produce ammo most likely more accurate than you can shoot. I would recommend anything made by RCBS or Hornady as a dead even tie with Lee being a extreamly close second. Thay all have awesome customer service.

Go to where you can get some hands on experience with them all like at Cabelas or BP and make your choice. Hornady at the moment is running free bullets with any purchase of thier presses and other reloading equipment so that is a strong consideration.

Regardless of who you buy you will be able to produce excellent ammo. RCBS Rockchucker supream is my personal fave, and I feel for the $$$ Hornady makes the best progressive.

Good luck,
Art.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread as I am looking for a new single stage press my self. I am about set on buying a Forster Co-Ax. Could any one point me in the direction of a dealer who might have a Co-Ax in stock and at a good price. I notice Forster charges $440 for it on their web page and Sinclair lists it at $280 ( out of stock though ). Why the price difference?!

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
quote:
posted 16 May 2013 00:06 Hide Post

absolutely

Could not agree more. Wished I would of bought my Forster a lot sooner. Been reloading for almost 50 years and it the best press ever as long as you not reloading the really long rounds.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote