Notify
Tools

New press from Hornady
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
click to look

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I don't think I well buy one.

Posts: 19453 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Nor will I

I have 3 presses and might add a 4th but I want to add a simple single

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks interesting but I have 2 Rock Chucker's under the bench now and I am to far down the blue road to change.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Ahh, the perfect solution to a problem i never had!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I WOULD like to have another press, but it will be an A4...

I have enough blue to last a lifetime.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
good looking press, with an impressive window, and neat LNL features --

this is ford vs chevy vs dodge issue -- and most folks prefer what they drive over the others -- this is human nature in action .. "i have it, i prefer it, therefore it must be best" I've owned a few trucks - ford, dodge, chevy (and most post 1960 brands of GM trucks sold in the states) IH, and even a studebaker pickup .... know what? they ALL work in their designed mission ... though that mission may not be your mission, at the moment

Once you have the LNL feature on your press, and find out how easy die changes are, and consistent set, well, its pretty cool...

says the guy with green , blue , and red on his bench ---

You know, like calibers, I like using the (rather biased) view of the correct tool for the job

heck, a press is cheaper than the guns it feeds .. just offering a different POV

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38650 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
Ahh, the perfect solution to a problem i never had!

Yep, along with that disappearing, melting, plastic tipped bullet discovery Hornady made.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, along with that disappearing, melting, plastic tipped bullet discovery Hornady made.

Plastic tips melt and disappear .....who knew Wink

Signed: a leopard by any other name Big Grin

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK,
I own green, blue and red. There are a few more presses under the bench of various colors than I can currently use at one time.

Although this looks like a possible choice for someone who is past the point of "just getting started" but not yet to the need of a progressive, the $600+ price tag could be a non starter.

I wish Hornady good luck with this new venture as any and all innovation in our reloading community is a good thing.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I needed another press (which I don't) I would look into this one. I think it will be a good seller.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like it and I will get one because it is neat, certainly not because I don't already have 6 presses on my bench now. (OK one of them is a Lyman bullet sizer).
Now, as for blue stuff; I stay far, far away from those; they are way over hyped and hard to use.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the max usable dimension is? will it handle 470 NE or 450 3 1/4?
Just wondering.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Buy it for a first timer press? You'd only know how to use it/appreciate the versatility if you already had something else first. Pass.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Press list for 260. Who pays list? 40 bucks more than rcbs supreme and that has a horrible priming system
Primer upgrade is 80
The whole kit, with scale and books and all the stuff is 600

Not out of line with new presses, guys. But with quick change collet

I would have liked to have learned on this

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38650 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rockchuckers are safe.

Posts: 41901 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Looks like similar to the Forster principal. With my Forster, I use the same shellholder, always, as it is built in, no variances in having to find and use same SH like on a Rockchucker, and a biggee, the floating dies are a tough act to follow on the Co-Ax.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Once you have the LNL feature on your press, and find out how easy die changes are, and consistent set, well, its pretty cool...

I have a Forster Co-Ax. Who needs LNL? I won't be buying one.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Easy answer to that; I have both and will have more; why not? Even though I only use one at a time, sometimes I like to switch things out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
Looks like similar to the Forster principal. With my Forster, I use the same shellholder, always, as it is built in, no variances in having to find and use same SH like on a Rockchucker, and a biggee, the floating dies are a tough act to follow on the Co-Ax.

Dom I went back and watched the video again and I don't think it has the same setup as Fosters I think it takes individual shell holders.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
-Mark Twain
~Will Rogers~

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I like it and I will get one because it is neat, certainly not because I don't already have 6 presses on my bench now. (OK one of them is a Lyman bullet sizer).
Now, as for blue stuff; I stay far, far away from those; they are way over hyped and hard to use.

If you have a used 550 I will pay the shipping to help reduce your clutter. Cool
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
-Mark Twain
~Will Rogers~

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Got rid of that (blue color) crap years ago and so did all my friends; all of us upgraded to Hornady progressives and never looked back. I do still have and use the powder measure. I like that. .

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
quote:

If you have a used 550 I will pay the shipping to help reduce your clutter. Cool
Bill

I wouldn't have a 550 if it was given to me......I would sell it and buy a true progressive
.......I mean a third true progressive press

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
quote:

I am another Forster Co-Ax happy user. Period.

Posts: 2100 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
quote:
quote:

They are nice but literally do a simple task no different than a inexpensive press does

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Not technically true, if you are reloading 45-70's a coaxial press won't be of much help.

If you are loading match ammo, a coaxial press will mean the difference in run out.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
quote:
quote:

They are nice but literally do a simple task no different than a inexpensive press does

Not exactly. They have the quick die change feature unlike most. Also the universal shell holder that floats is sweet. I find it is easier to get more concentric rounds on them. Not saying I can't get just as concentric rounds on my Redding or RCBS presses but it takes a lot less die setup on the Forster. (And you still dont have the quick change die setup)

Mac

Posts: 1732 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
quote:

Bill

I wouldn't have a 550 if it was given to me......I would sell it and buy a true progressive
.......I mean a third true progressive press

I know I know but I have to much stuff for my 550 that it would cost way to much to convert over. I have one of the first 550's with the removable tool heads. When I called to by my 550 they said if you can wait two days they would sell me the new press for the same price. Not long ago I looked at some full progressives but can't make myself spend that much money for so little improvement in speed.
As an aside did any one notice in the video that the guy never looked at the primer pocket when he was doing his prep. He has more faith than me that it will be perfect the first time.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
-Mark Twain
~Will Rogers~

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I never look at primer pockets when churning out banging ammo

But to answer your question......yes I noticed

I posted this as a worm......I knew most members would respond like always

I won't be buying one of the new Hornady presses either

Why? I just don't want one and that's all the reason I need

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Rockchuckers are safe.

So is my Australian "Simplex" clone of Lyman's Orange Crusher.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After several years using a Rockchucker, I'm extremely happy with my Lee Classic Single Stage and Turret presses. Their Classic Powder Measure and Auto-drum powder measure that I'm using on my single stage and turret presses are top-notch. I reload for 14 different calibers and have no need for other reloading equipment.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I stopped using single stage presses 20 years ago.

I have Blue (450B and 550), Orange (Lyman Turret), Black (Lyman turret) and Red (Lee Turret) mounted on my bench right now. I'm to lazy to change dies.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Fjold:

I am not sure if it is more work to switch dies in Forster Co-Ax or to rotate the turret ;-)

....until your turret is full and you need to put another one die in.

Jiri

Posts: 2100 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I never look at primer pockets either. For like, 50 years now. Except for BP cartridge, then I do clean them.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am a turret guy. I have every set of dies that I use a lot in a Lee turret and keep one empty-one for cals I don't load much.

Then I have a single on either side of my turret for specialty stuff.

I would like a progressive for .308, .223, and .45acp...just don't know which one to buy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36896 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I am a turret guy. I have every set of dies that I use a lot in a Lee turret and keep one empty-one for cals I don't load much.

Then I have a single on either side of my turret for specialty stuff.

I would like a progressive for .308, .223, and .45acp...just don't know which one to buy.

I have had several and sold off or traded off what I DID NOTE like

Believe it or not I kept my Lee Loadmaster.......it can't be beat for the $$$
I also have and will have more Hornady LNL AP'S

I sold the Dillon 550.......it is not a progressive press so it was not what I wanted

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't load that way.

I don't really load handguns at all. I just don't shoot enough of them.

I deprime, then ultrasonic clean, lube then size, then clean again, then trim, chamfer, work on the primer pockets, prime, do powder and load.

Every case gets sorted, every bullet every time.

Maybe not on a 375 but on anything small that I plan on shooting 300 yards or further.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Big Wonderful Wyoming:

I first "quick wash" cases, removing mud, sand etc. if necessary. Then lube, deprime and FL size at same time. Trim, chamfer, clean primer pocket. Wash in water wish dishwasher soap (removing lube, brass particles etc.). Then ultrasonic for removing the rest of powder residues and last one is polishing in tumbler (I use plastic media used in jewelery industry for polishing silver etc.). Hand inspect each case, rub with a cloth, using gloves. Prime cases and put to box, where I put also some Vapor Phase Corrosion Inhibitor => shiny cases even after long term storage. Will try next time to put a very little corrosion inhibitor into tumbling media.

Jiri

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I load several thousand 5.55 a year on progressives but on them....

I don't trim
I don't clean
Nor do I sort/batch weigh or anything special

My single station hunting stuff gets extra steps....probably too many

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Not a bad press I'm sure, but after getting a Co-Ax a few years ago, my single stage needs are pretty well covered. Heck, the Rockchucker catches dust most of the time now.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote