New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 roberts ackly improved fireforming
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
any special loads to fire form my brass. and what bullets and tips you guys recomend.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter what loads or bullets you use; any load will fireform it; what you do need to worry about is making sure the case head is firmly against the bolt face so you won't stretch the case and make sure that only the shoulder will move. If it is chambered correctly, the brass shoulder will still seat against the new chamber and hold the case back but sometimes that is not enough. I like to seat the bullets firmly against the rifling and use starting loads; that way you make sure you get no case movement forward when the firing pin smacks the primer. If there is any excess headspace when that happens, you will not get a good case form and you will still have excess headspace ( short brass) which will cause your brass to stretch and shorten its life.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Any medium to full power Roberts load will fireform. Provided you chamber is correct and a std case is a crush fit I would bet normal Roberts loads will be accurate and effective during fireforming.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found that most full power fire-forming loads deliver accuracy comparable to that you get with fully-formed cases, so there is no need to use a special "throw away" load for fireforming.

I would recommend expanding your case necks with something like a .277" expander, then sizing them back down to leave a "false shoulder" situated so that the bolt closes with just a bit of resistance. This will ensure that you get minimum case stretch and avoids potential problems with the alternative method of holding the case rearward, a bullet jammed into the lands.

If you don't care about the headstamp, starting with 7x57 brass is ideal since you simply run it into the FL sizer just to the point that it will enter the chamber with minimal resistance, thus giving you perfect initial headspace.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
In my 280 Ack Imp, I always use the "bullet jammed into the lands" method; it is not dependent on brass/shoulder position. And does not require messing with the brass other than loading. I use medium level 280 REM loads and never have any issues.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To fireform my .257 Imp., I used the info in the Nosler reloading manual. It's been some time since I've done it, but as I recall, you use a middle charge of a medium burning powder for the parent case. Make sure you seat the bullet to touch the lands. This is to assure that the case is snuggly pushed against you bolt face. I never had a problem with this method. As I recall, Nosler even recommended the powder from their .257 Rob. loading to use for this. It's not difficult at all.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot for the information guys.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote