THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Re: Any words of wisdom on the .257 Roberts AI ??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Any words of wisdom on the .257 Roberts AI ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted
"Point being, the 257 AI is a great little round for what it is. If you want to drive a 100 gr bullet at 3400 fps get a 25-06. If your happy with 3200-3250 fps, the 257 AI is a very useful and fun round to load for"

Or you can go with a 26" tube, use MRP and achieve 3400-3500 with less powder than required with the 25-06. The 25-06 is a great round but the 257 Ackley is far more efficient. Parker said it, I believe it and thats all there is to it! If velocity is all that is important get a Weatherby as they move a projectile fairly quick however I don't have an unlimited budget for barrels and powder. I'll stick with my Ackley. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I agree with your comments about the range of velocity you should be getting with the 257 AI and the 25-06. Personally, I am a greater fan of the 25-06 and its AI brother because of the type of hunting area I hunt in.

I know full well the 100 gr .257" bullets at 3200 fps are hell on deer size game but at the ranges I generally get shots at I prefer the extra punch of the 25-06.

THe 25-06 AI is another very impressive round. From the tests I have done, it will run within 75-100 fps of the much larger 257 WBY.

Basically it is to the Wby what you say the 257 AI is to the 25-06.

The Wby is fast but there is more to be had in the .257" caliber.

I have built several rifles for the 257 STW and while I will flat out say there is nothing efficient about this round, when it comes to hammering a pronghorn or coyote at 500-600 yards, this round has few peer as far as trajectory, accuracy and recoil levels.

IT is true that barrel life is in the 1500 round range if you really take care of the barrel, but for a big game rifle, this is alot of harvested game.

So far, I like the 100 gr B. Tip at 3900-4000 fps depending on barrel length for pronghorn and coyotes. For deer, I would either select the 100 gr partition at a slightly slower 3800 fps or the 115 gr partition or ballistic tip at 3600 fps.

With clean barrels(this round is good at copper fouling) this round will hold well under 1/2 moa at 100 yards from the four rifles I have built so far.

I am just getting ready to fit a 29" #6 Lilja stainless 3 groove barrel to one of my blue-printed M700 actions. This will be my pronghorn rifle and medium range(400-800 yard) coyote rifles this fall and winter.

Again, I have no claims of efficeny or long barrel life, it kind of like a 800 hp, supercharged chevy small block. You put them together right and drive then till they let loose. The ride is often well worth the cost if you like performance. The 257 STW is the same thing.

Probably get thrown out of this post for even bringing such a barrel eating round up in conversation, oh well!

Good Shooting!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Fiftydriver,
I sure won't suggest you be thrown off the board for suggesting a barrel burner. Velocity is a blast(pun intended)and if thats what floats your boat then thats what you should pursue. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote