THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Worked on some 257 Ackley Imp today

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worked on some 257 Ackley Imp today
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well as a relative new comer to hand loading I must say that taking newly loaded ammo to the range for load developement is quite a bit of fun. Had loaded some 100 grain bullets over various loads on H4350 last week and came up with Ziltch. So this week I tried some Reloader 19 and some H4831 with 100 grain triple shock. Got a nice group with 53 grains of H4831 and the best Re 19 load was with 50 grains. My rifle is a mod 70 XTR Featherwieght with a 3-9 Conquest on top. Shot at 100 meters here in Alberta. Trying to deveope this load for mule season week after next.
Had my 257 Roberts with me as well and don't have a set of dies yet for this Mod70 also a feather weight so I tried some factory Hornady 117 BTSP and they grouped very nicely. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Just a thought, but would not the .257 Ai dies work like neck sizer for your Bob? The IMR 4831 and the 100 grain should be a winner, the IMR 7828 and the 110 Accubond is my personal favorite these days.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Don't remember how much but my .257 A.I. likes H-380 for both light and heave bullets.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I had excellent results with 51 grains of Re19 under 100 grain TSXs in my Bullberry Encore barrel.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have to look at my records when I get home tonight. Reloader 19 gave me the best overall consistancy (speed, group size, and consistancy). As I remember I was using 117 Nosler Acubond.
Thanks, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Roberts rifles and an AI.
But I have not used the AI much yet.
My Roberts rifles both like IMR-4350 very well, But a couple other poweders that you really should try include H-414. IMR-4064 and one I have not yet tried but will soon RL-15
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So now we have taken the 50 gr group and loaded 3 at 49.5 and 3 at 50.0 Barnes 100gr. Then with the Accubonds I have loaded 3 at 48 gr, 3 at 49, and 3 at 50. And the last geoup of loads with R 19 are the 117 gr Hornady at 50.5,49.5 and 50.5. Hopefully if the wind isn't too brisk tomorrow I'll get a chance to give these a try.
I have seen other info from shooters that also felt that H414 worked well for them and may give that a try if things do not go well with this current batch of loads. Thanks for your input, Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,
Both of mine like slow powder, give RL 22 a try if your present loads don't work out.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for slow powders....my 257AI likes H4831 with 120 gr bullets.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Like always, I have to seen to be different and more traditional...

IN some older manuals, I have seen some fantastic velocites with 100 grainers out of a 257 Roberts, with powders like IMR 4064, IMR3031, RL 15, IMR 4895, W 748, H 380.. and in my experience, they are more accurate in that size of a case with that bore diameter...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
100grn NBT and RE15 is whats working in my XP. I'm getting a hair over 2800fps with a 15" barrel.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Mine likes IMR 4350 with Remington 100 Core Lokt bullets.

Steve E.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote