New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jamison .505 Gibbs Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't had good luck with Jamison brass in this caliber, bought 40 about a year and a half ago, 14 of the first 20 I loaded split in various locations. Recently got another 20 pieces, loaded two of them (about 80% loads) and both split, just above the case head. Looks like another bad batch. Won't be buying any more.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2746 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Karl,

This sounds very bad.

Could it be that your rifle chamber is on the large size, and the dies on the small side??

Just wondering?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that I just got bad batches of brass, I’ve not had any issue with Norma, Hornberger or Nosler brass, or with other lots of Jamison brass. I’ll load 4-5 more from the most recent batch with the same load and see if any of them split.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2746 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded a few more from this lot of brass, 4 grains of powder below max listed for a Hornady DGX bullet. I only shot three, all of them split, so I shot 2 Nosler very expensive factory loads, neither split. I won't be loading that particular lot of brass (I do have quite a few other Jamison brass that works perfectly fine). Trying to post a couple of pictures.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had same problem with some Bertram 375 Flanged Mag brass. I thought maybe I should anneal before first use. But went to Norma with no problems.

Get expensive quickly with new brass failing!

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
If it was neck and shoulder splits, annealing before use would cure this but splits at the head of the case is indicating something more sinister like incorrect annealing by Jamison when forming the cases or just poor quality brass billets used in manufacture of their cases, eliminating chamber/die issues of course as Saeed suggests.

Posts: 3857 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Measure the base diameter on both cases, could be undersized. I just got a Bertram brass that measured .637 at the base. Most of the case dimensions drawings that I have found online have the gibbs case at .64.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bertram are nothing but JUNK!

Had some of theirs, so awful they were unusable.

The sides of the cases were different thickness!??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
Measure the base diameter on both cases, could be undersized. I just got a Bertram brass that measured .637 at the base. Most of the case dimensions drawings that I have found online have the gibbs case at .64.

I measured the split Jamison cases, cases from a different lot, Nosler and Norma cases.
Jamison: .636-.638, both fired and unfired (10 cases)
Nosler: .639-.640 (10 cases)
Norma:.639-.640 (6 cases)

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Jamison brass has been flawless in my 500 Jeffery. Guessing the case dimensions don't match up to your chamber. Brass might be wrong

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Good brass cases usually can withstand some bulging at the head when fired in oversized chambers without splitting, and will fireform at the shoulder/neck end likewise.
Your Jamison brass is splitting at both ends of the case indicating poor quality brass and/or poor annealing during manufacture. Send it back and get a refund.

Posts: 3857 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
jamison had, i have heard, a bad run of brass a couple years ago - these may be NOS from that period

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote