THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    best loads for 168gr tsx in 30-06 rem 3600 18 1/2" barrel???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best loads for 168gr tsx in 30-06 rem 3600 18 1/2" barrel???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
o.k. men...

this is a hail mary here

got a 30-06 7600 rem pump with 18 1/2" barrel and want to see what your loads are and the best advice for the shorter barrel as far as powder choice and how much for the 168 gr tsx.

thanks again

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with either H4350 or H414.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you could go wrong with the old standard for the 30-06....IMR 4064.

For that particular powder you won't lose too much velocity from your carbine barrel.

That would be a handy rifle in the brush (not for busting through brush, but for carrying through it).

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever powder produces the best velocity in a long barrel will do the same in a short one. The "faster powder in shorter barrel" is an oft repeated reloading myth. All the powder is burned within several inches of the chamber.
So your short barrel will shoot fastest with the same powder as the (within reason)longer barrel does---it just won't be AS FAST.
My old Rem. 84 liked IMR 4350 and RL 19 uing the plain X. But if I were still loading the '06, I'd work up loads using new H4350 or H 4831SC due to the temperature insensitivity factor.
BTW, ecasue they are harder than lead, Barnes bullets are loaded using differnt data and more offset.If you'e not privy to that, suggest you visit their site at:
http://www.barnesbullets.com
Use Barnes data if at all possible. There isn't a lot of data available on the TSX yet. I found that splitting the difference for their listed max loads for plain X bullet and and that for their coated version (CLX?)worked for me in several calibers I've tested the TSX in so far.
Ultimately, I consider loading X's well worth the effort and added expense. Their terminal performance has always been outstanding.(18 one-shot kills on large northern whitetails; no losses.) Now that increased accuracy and less fouling has resulted in the TSX, I'm especaially happy using them. Best luck.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
good stuff guys keep it going... beer

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt i would take R 903 for that short barrel!

(rottweil powder)