New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Chemist or Metallurgist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm doing a little ballistics work for a bullet company. They have a new proprietary coating (doesn't everyone?). The end user for this bullet wants an independent analysis to show that there is nothing toxic (can't have a toxic bullet Smiler). So... If someone wants to make some money for an hour of GC/MS work, please give me a shout.
Thanks,
lawndart
noak@direcway.com

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
GC/MS work

bewildered

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gas Chromatogphery/Mass Spectrometer (parden the spelling).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry,
You take a very small sample of the material in question, put it in a vacumn chamber (or a chamber flooded with an inert gas). Heat it hotter than Elizabeth Hurley's ass. The super heated molecules release energy at specific wavelengths depending on their composition and structure. The sensors record the energy pattern (spectrograph) and compare it to the library in the computer.
When I studied chemistry in college I had to do all this manually. It took two days to run one sample. I then had to paw through thick books to manually compare spectra. Now it is pretty automated.
My head hurts just thinking about how hard it was to get a good result back in 1977.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
There are a number of companies that do this type of thing. Where are you located? If you are in the midwest, there is a place called Midwest Labs in Omaha Nebraska that has down GC/MS for me before. Don't know what their rates are (the boss worries about the bills), but I think that they are pretty resonable.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in Idaho, where the Mormons drink coffee and only have one wife.

I'll give Midwest labs a call on Monday.
Thanks,
lawndart

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
hotter than Elizabeth Hurley's ass.

Man, that's HOT! I mean, like, shit fire and save matches man! roflmao

I know what it is, just didn't recognize the acronymn. Sorry, I don't do that stuff. I can feed some to a crat if you want??? beer

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll send you a box of samples to test on crats. It would be good if you could make some crat spectrographs on the sidewalk.
lawndart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger Red Leader! POTKB! Again. Isn't that what F150s are for? Roll Eyes

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup. F-150's, snake, nape, rock-eye, 2.75" rockets, AGM-65s, daisy-cutters, GAU-8s; many routes to a good result.
lawndart

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
You take a very small sample of the material in question, put it in a vacumn chamber (or a chamber flooded with an inert gas). Heat it hotter than Elizabeth Hurley's ass.

OK, I can do that. Just send me Elizabeth Hurley and a thermometer......

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
I'm in Idaho, where the Mormons drink coffee and only have one wife.

lawndart

bewildered

oh my.. sounds like a mormon hell... then again, they DO get coffee

JC,. there's probably 60 gc/ms freelance labs in houston.. just a little need for them in the petrol biz.. go to anywho.com and look up testing labs, houston, tx

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, I checked with the chemist/spousal unit, and Hibbs Analytical in Boise should be able to do it. Talk to Sandy. HTH, Dutch.

PS, I think they changed their name to Analytical labs.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Lawndart:

If Dutch's contact in Boise can't help, let me know. I work with a lab in Reno, and several here in California that can do it.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I have to go to Boise tomorrow. I'll take some samples and a credit card.

Once we get the first batch out to the end user I'll be sending out samples Smiler and posting pictures and specs here.

This is a fun part time job. They call me up and say, "Can you do _____?" Usually I just say, "Ooooh, that sounds cool." (and get to it)

lawndart

If Boise is a no-go I'll give you a shout Dave.