THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    new "x" bullet mrx (maximum range x) now with pictures

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new "x" bullet mrx (maximum range x) now with pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
new bullet from barnes...who knows when it will be distributed...its basicly the tsx with a tungsten core and polymer tip with a boat tail. the good news basicly shorter bullets more powder room, you can go lighter on the bullets say 160 instead of 180gr and good b.c. these things are darned perfect now...now if we can get people to rely on marksmanship instead of the gun/bullet clap

does this interest anyone?

what do you think?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds neet im mainly a large bore shooter as all my center fire rifle except one are all above 375 h&h but i do one a 25-06 and i wouldnt mind trying these bullets in that.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tungston insert...I wonder how much these things will cost? Not sure why they need a tungston core unless they are only putting them out in .375 and up. Doesn't seem to make sence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kman:
Tungston insert...I wonder how much these things will cost? Not sure why they need a tungston core unless they are only putting them out in .375 and up. Doesn't seem to make sence.

Well, here is my guess- First off, by putting the tungsten core in the rear of the bullet, it allows them to add weight to the bullet without adding LEAD, thus shortening the bullet to allow better/easier fit in many cartridge/action combinations. If you are not aware of it, there is a big push by environmental groups to ban the use of lead, and not just in the shooting sports- they are after the fishermen also. My guess is that Barnes is anticipating this, and are positioning themselves to be leaders in the market for "unleaded" bullets. Plus, Tungsten penetrates like a SOB.

Just my view- you kids play nice, now.

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good call

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
environmental issues was one motive i heard.

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Boom Stick, Thanks for the info. It sure does sound like an "interesting" design. And it sure will be interesting to see just how well both the accuracy and on-game performance turn out to be.

Gotta believe "Kman" is correct about his "Cost Concern". It also sounds quite expensive. Adding two components to the TSX and the additional manufacturing steps to get it all put together won't come cheap.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
When are they going to start making them out of Gold Big Grin

Think of it guys, we could have little diamond tips to aid in expansion and improve the BC roflmao

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
hmmm...take the diamond out and the heavy pliable gold might be good Big Grin

you would certainly want to recover those bullets roflmao

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a thread on LRH that has pictures of the new bullet.

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat...5&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

cheers

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually i was calling barnes for load data, and asked about the mrx. it wont be out till 2006 probably around march. expect around .75cents per rounds. he said the best of the best. ultimate long range bullet. man i cant wait to get ahold of some 140g mrx's for my 7ultra mag

one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly some will jump on the wagon when this hits the market, I'll wait until I hear some reports. More than a few folks have toyed with tungsten core material, there are several issues that Barnes may or may not resolve.

Early approaches used powdered tungsten compacted under heavy pressure to form a core, swaged into place as the jacket was formed. Some swaged a powder core then topped it with molten or swaged lead. Issues pertaining to consistancy have not been resolved to date insofar as I know. When they were good, they were very good, but balance about the axis of rotation left some things to be desired.

From the pictures above it appears they are using a core insert then swaging it in place. There will be accuracy issues with that as well, to what degree probably depends on their quality control. The bullet base in reminiscent of the Nosler Partition, a design that Nosler spent decades making accurate. The exposed core makes uniformity in the base problematic, and that is a substantial issue for accuracy.

The benefit of using tungsten is more related to exterior ballistics than anything else. With a given form the BC is essentially constant regardless of length, ergo, a short Tungsten core 140 gr 7mm will have no direct advantage over a long one. What the higher density of Tungsten allows one to do is create a heavier bullet for a given length thus not requiring a quicker twist to stabilize it. This is inverse to the issues of stability that causes Barnes to not always make maximum weight for caliber with their X bullets as copper is less dense than lead, and at the same weight quite a bit longer than conventional lead core bullets.

Given the advantages of tungsten however, I sincerely hope they make it work. I'd really like to plink with 140-150 grain 1/4 bore bullets without going into a quick twist mode.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This bullet has allready been taken to Africa and was writen up in the latest Guns & Ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speer did this with the .458 500 GS and it gave 8 grs of powder capacity to the 458 Win...5750 FPE with AA2230. In a Lott, you are going up to 6500 FPE.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote