Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I shoot them or pull them apart
 Login/Join

posted
I accidently loaded some 38 special brass with 12.2 grains of 2400 and 158 grain hard cast lead bullets. Not realizing that my wife had dumped the 158 grain bullets in with some 125 grain bullets. Anyway I loaded up about 50 shells before realizing the mistake. The question is should I take a chance and shoot them or pull them apart and reload them. I am shooting a Smith 6" 629 and a 6" Colt python.

Your advise is appreciated.
Thanks.
SW

posted Hide Post
Pull them.

Why put yourself at risk just to save a little effort?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen to what George said..

unless 12.2 grains of 2400 is within the specs for the 158 grain bullet..however a quick check of my reload manual, indicates that is about 50% over what is listed as max capacity with a 38 +_ P load...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sw:
I am shooting a Smith 6" 629 and a 6" Colt python.

I have no idea what model python you're using but as far as I know, a S&W 629 has only ever been chambered in 44 Rem magnum. At least mine is. So I wouldn't fire your rejects in that revolver.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have pulled bullets for less...

You will feel better

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker 50% of the listed max load??

I'd pull them.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
600 grains is a little less than 1/10 pound-- maybe $2.50 in powder. Pull the bullets. Resize and reflare the brass. Keep wife away from reloading bench. That's the key to it all...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried weighing them?With that much difference in bullet weight,it should be easy to find out which ones are 125's and which ones are 158grs.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Powders still good. Pull them, flare the mouth and seat the right bullet.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sw:
I accidently loaded some 38 special brass with 12.2 grains of 2400 and 158 grain hard cast lead bullets. Not realizing that my wife had dumped the 158 grain bullets in with some 125 grain bullets. Anyway I loaded up about 50 shells before realizing the mistake. The question is should I take a chance and shoot them or pull them apart and reload them. I am shooting a Smith 6" 629 and a 6" Colt python.

Thanks.
SW

Don't blame it on your wife.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baldhunter:

Have you tried weighing them? With that much difference in bullet weight, it should be easy to find out which ones are 125s and which ones are 158grs.
A capital idea, Dr. Watson!

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Hornady manuel lists 12.5 grains 2400 for 180 grain bullets, If the pistols used are .357
would the cases not stand up to that load. ???

Posts: 4 | Location: York CO PA | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
.38 Special brass will not support the pressure. Over loading a .38 case does not make a .357 magnum. Some brass is stronger than others but still dangerous.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe, after all, the powder is contained in a much smaller area to start. I've shot 10gr of 2400 behind 158gr lead bullets in my .357 mag. Great load. But I would never jump my powder charge up 25% all at once...All risk, very little reward.

P.S. Homebrew is considered the crazyone on this forum, and he wouldn't do it...

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
should I shoot them or pull them apart

Substitute the word "her" for "them" and you might have a more appropriate question. Big Grin

>
I'd rather be a CONSERVATIVE NUTJOB than a Liberal with no NUTS & No JOB
>

Posts: 643 | Location: Somewhere Out There | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
this question has the same answer as the following question

do you wish to live without an injury caused by these loads?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
If you had loaded them thinking you were loading for the lighter bullets and accidentally used heavier bullets, that would be a much more serious problem--as the pressure in the ammo with the heavier than expected bullet would be TOO HIGH!

Since you loaded these, using a powder charge for the heavier bullet, shooting a lighter bullet will result in less pressure and they should be OK to shoot, but the trajectory will not be what you expect when shooting the lighter bullets.

HOWEVER, IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT concerning what you've loaded, I think I would pull them and start over. You can save the powder. You can possibly save the bullet (depending on how you pull them), and of course, the brass can be used again. And, MAYBE MOST IMPORTANTLY, you'll have peace of mind when shooting what you know to be correctly loaded ammo.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've wasted time doing worse, but considering how little all those components are worth, you'll be working for less than $5 an hour to pull them. I certainly wouldn't shoot them, but I'd lean towards chunking them instead of breaking them down.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
an old George Carlin line about Motorcycle helmets seems an appropriate analogy here...

" If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet.."

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
It also sounds like you are planning on using a hammer type bullet puller. If you remove the die out of a press and run the bullet up though the hole and grab it with a pair of pliers then pull the case back down, you can pull 50 bullets in about 4 minutes. I don't use pliers, I have some blacksmith end nippers that I use and it doesn't usually even scar up the bullets enough to make them unusuable.

As mentioned, weighing them should also be pretty obvious with a 30 grain difference, but there is also something to be said for starting over from the beginning when things get confused.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two questions here:

Which of the two revolvers mentioned do you intend to shoot them with?

Is that revolver, and your health, worth more than the 50 rounds?

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my point of view, pulling bullets when things aren't satisfactory for various reasons is just a part of handloading. That's why the companies make all those pullers; and the pliers and your press works just fine too.

And you have a very good reason to pull them. After you get that done, you won't be thinking about it and you'll sleep better.

With an inertia puller, pistol bullets in this caliber in 158 gr. ought to just about fall out; no need to hit them hard. Just my experience. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote