New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets which gives you the poorest accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On Big Game there is a post asking people to list the bullets which give them the best accuracy. Almost all bullets do well in some circumstances and guns, while a few are just plain hard to make shoot well.

As for me, I could never find a gun in which Winchester .224 55 gr Soft Points would perform up to snuff, and have a friend who has had the same experience.

Also, although I'd really like to use them, I can't find a gun or load that shoots the Barnes X with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

What bullets have given you trouble?

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BARNES....BARNES....BARNES.....BARNES!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
I've only tried them in four rifles so far but I have yet to get Barnes bullets to shoot well.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Anything that has "Barnes" on the box...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Barnes 'X'.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bet the guys on the matchking thread wouldn't shoot barnes at 500yds+
my 2506 couldn't hit a bull in the arse @50yds with barnes x.
HAVE HAD BETTER GROUPS WITH A SHOTGUN!!!

there should be a government health warning on the box "THESE BULLETS CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR SANITY AND YOUR BANK BALANCE"

ignored all the warnings about barnes and paid the price!!!
never again.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Barnes! I think I am beginning to see a pattern here.

There is no middle ground with Barnes. Your gun either likes them or hates them. If your gun hates them, no amount of load development work will correct the situation. In my opinion they are a waste of time.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
OK, I'll dare to be different, never used Barnes, never will.
The bullets that consistantly shoot the worst for me are Nosler 130gr Ballistic Tips.
In my rifle they will not group anything near consistant. Bulk Core-Lokts will outgroup them.

ZM

[This message has been edited by Zeke (edited 01-28-2002).]

<Wolverine>
posted
For me, Barnes X seems to be the most difficult to get accurate loads with.

I have gotten them to shoot with "hunting accuracy", though. The worst I have seen them shoot in my rifles is 3.5" (.378 Weatherby).
The 185gr .338 XLC started out at 2", I have gotten them down to a consistent 1" by changing reloading techniques. I expect even better from the 225 gr XLC's because they shot 1-1.5" before I changed my ways.

I guess that rifle doesn't like them nor hate them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never tried Barnes, but my experience with 130 gr. Nosler BTs and bulk Core-Lokts is the same as Zeke's. My 700 in .30-`06 has a very long throat & perhaps that's the problem.

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<MNTNMAN>
posted
I have 2 rifles that will not shoot a barnes worth beans. But I do have 2 others that do great. Winchester and Remington dont like them, but my Ruger and Weatherby do just fine.

<Don G>
posted
I have spent a fortune trying to get Barnes-X to shoot in factory barrels -- and failed every time.

The Barnes-X shoot like gangbusters in my Krieger cut-rifled barrel, and I bet they will in my new Cutrifle 416 barrel.

The Barnes-X have a great reputation for terminal ballistics, which always make them worth trying in my book.

I think the Barnes bullets are the most sensitive to barrel imperfections and the GS Custom FN and HV are the least sensitive.

FWIW,
Don

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

US bullets made by Barnes (I use these bullets one time, and never again)

But I don't know accuracy of Barnes "Solid" never try these.

EU bullets Cooppal Lead bullets in all calibers (not hard cast bullets) you can imagine all the rest.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
I stupidly bought 1000 bullets that had been pulled from some old military ammunition. They were about as bad as anything I have ever seen. In my Garand they shot about 12" to 15" groups at 100 yards with an ocassional flyer opening things up even more. The Garand is good for about 2 MOA with Sierra Matchkings so I didn't even try to blame it on the rifle.
I still have several hundred of them if anybody would like to make use of them.

<.>
posted
Shootin' Win. .224 FMJ cheapo's in the AR for fun/plinking. H-335 or BL-C2. They're not going to get me to the Nationals, but they're alright.

Barnes, eh ??? Hmmmmmm . . .

<Bill>
posted
BARNES

I wish I saved some of my 26 moa groups from my 243

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 01-28-2002).]

<bearlake>
posted
I have to go with ZEKE on this one the Nosler B-Tip did no good in 243win for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I must join the majority. I have shot Barnes "X" in almost every one of my rifles. I have put a lot of money down the drain and switched to GS Custom in most of the over 338 rifles.

A good group with Barnes "X" is 1-2" on a gun that will shoot .5 groups with other bullets. The clean up is very time consuming, for what. The new XLCs seem to be a little better but they still do not attain the accuracy I get from other bullets.

Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my 45/70 sierra 300gn hollow points, they shoot in accurately compared to 400 gn bulletts, but I use the 45/70 for close in work so it is not to much of an issue.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Barnes X bullets. I wouldn't give you a dollar for a thousand of those things. The only thing they're good for is making your bore a pretty metallic copper that takes forever to remove!!!! I hate those things!!!

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Barnes X bullets fouled the bore on my hot grouping 300 winny. I had to get a foul out kit to get whatever it is out of that nice bore.

The worst bullets that I ever heard of were the 6.5's made for the 55mm. They were plated or made from some metal that cold welded itself to the case necks. A lot of military rifles were blown up.

On another site (24hourcampfire.com) someone is giving away samples of 275 gr Hawk bullets. The rub is that he says they may have caused the blow up of one of his .35's and a blown case on another .35.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes X don't shoot worth a darn in the two calibers I tried (.22-250 and .30-06).

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have not tried the Barnes, but was going to get a friend 100 gr solids for shooting coyotes with a 270. This thread may have changed my mind.

In response to the previous thread about .224 Winchesters .. I bought bulk 55 gr. soft points w/cannelure at $4 per hundred. Loaded them with surplus military brass, BW36 Powder and got .5" groups out of my ruger M77 223. It does have a nice aftermarket trigger, but everything else is factory.

Cheers

Posts: 67 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: 09 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Geez. Do you think I ought to forward this thread to Barnes?

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'll be different and first say I've experienced some major frustrations with Failsafes, with the exception of one rifle (270) that loves them. My experience with Barnes has been predictable - LOUSY. I have a half box of several varieties. I keep them around to remind myself to save my money.

I was LOL about the 26 MOA comment. That's about the same level of accuracy in Barnes new manual.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<rugerman>
posted
Send all of those left over Barnes bullets to me. I have had good luck with most that I have tried in 260 Rem., 270 Win., 280 Rem., 30-06, 7mm Rem. Mag.

<Sooner>
posted
You guys have to be kidding! My 270 will thread a needle with a 130 Barnes "X". That same rifle won't shoot a Nosler partition. In my experience, if you will clean your barrel (I mean absolutely scrub it clean), then try barnes, seat them just off the lands and you cant miss. But if you shoot another brand, and then try to shoot the Barnes again, without cleaning the hell out of that barrel, your screwed.

Just my experience
Sooner

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sooner:
You guys have to be kidding! My 270 will thread a needle with a 130 Barnes "X".
Sooner

So does my old Sako M98 from 1954: 180 grains X makes POI less than 1" - over irons!

The worst bullet, however, in my own humble experience is the Winchester Silvertip. I shot 180 gr. and 220 gr in a husky .30-06. The 220 made key-holes and the 180 made patterns as a shotgun. The same rifle shot 1" with Norma or RWS ammo.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<GAHUNTER>
posted
Like the rest of you, I have never had much luck with Barns bullets. But I have had even less luck with Winchester Fail-safes.

And the worst shooting (and biggest disappointment) of all were Swift Scirrocos! For all the hoopala when they were introduced, I couldn't get them to goup better than three inches out on any rifle I own.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To Stonecreek; About those 224 55Wins, your right but if you take a magnifying glass & look at the cannuler you will see diff widths. These bullets must come out of a couple diff machines. If you sort them buy cannuler width you'll find they shoot resonably well for the $$. Generally 1/4" larger group than a V-max or comparible bullet. Boy sure glad I haven't tried BARNES bullets, I wonder if anybody from the company reads these forums???

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
OK, I'll dare to be different, never used Barnes, never will.
The bullets that consistantly shoot the worst for me are Nosler 130gr Ballistic Tips.
In my rifle they will not group anything near consistant. Bulk Core-Lokts will outgroup them.

ZM

.]

Something is wrong with your rifle, Ive never seen a .270 that couldn't do 3/4" or better with these bullet's.

[This message has been edited by GSF1200 (edited 01-29-2002).]

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sxr6: Thanks for the tip on Winchester cannelures. I never thought to look!

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by GSF1200:
Something is wrong with your rifle, Ive never seen a .270 that couldn't do 3/4" or better with these bullet's.

[This message has been edited by GSF1200 (edited 01-29-2002).]

There is nothing wrong with my rifle. It will shoot 130gr Core-Lokt's, Hornady 130gr Spire Points, Sierra MatchKings and Hornady 140gr boat-tails all into a hole less than one inch with boring regularity. As far as I am concerned, it is the bullet.

ZM

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I have never gotten any gun I've ever owned to shoot Barnes bullets accurately! I've started with ABSOLUTELY clean barrels tried nearly every imaginable load etc. they NEVER WORKED. As someone else said- You can take any gun that shoots in the .2's to .5"s and turn it into a 2-3 inch gun by just shooting Barnes Bullets.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<rugerman>
posted
I have to speak up for Barnes. I shoot Barnes in everything I own. The load I settle with gives me .75" group at the most at 100 yards. I have shot better groups and I have shot worse groups with the Barnes. You have to play with the seating depth. Sometimes you may have to seat as much as fifty to sixty thousandths off the riflings.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Barnes bullets have proven MOST unsatisfactory in:
.224/50 grain "VLC Burners" in 223 and 22-250.
.243/85 grain XBT in .243 Win.
.284/130 grain XBT in 2 different 7-08's and a .284 Win.

I seated them into the lands; 0.050" off the lands; 0.025" off; 0.075" off, etc.., no difference. I've pretty much given up on them. Life is too short. And, they wear you out cleaning the copper out of the bore, too

Oh yeah, and they're expensive, too

R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

[This message has been edited by R-WEST (edited 01-30-2002).]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BARNES----need I say more but at the risk of repeating I have tried 243,30-06,7mm Mag,300 Wby, 30-378 Wby and not on time was there an instance where these bullets(sometimes multiple weights) grouped the worst! I have not tried them in my Robar SR90 or my AAI in 338 Lapua nor will I!

DWM

Posts: 109 | Location: Colleyville,TX | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
The most miserable bullet I've ever tried to use is the new Swift SCIROCCO'S.
When it comes to reloading I'm a real accuracy fiend. Here is my list:
1) The jackets are so soft that they showed
every little dent, ding and mark
that the box had encountered.
2) The box was supposed to be .308 180grain
bullets. However the weight vaired 2.4
grains. Enough that I don't think you
could call them a specific weight.
3) Along with #2, diameters varied .0012".

I still tried them and the results were a pattern that had my shotgun fired it, I'd get a new shotgun. All I've been able to use them for is fireforming cases.

------------------
BigBob

<Super 88>
posted
Get off the Barnes already!!! I've got 6 rifles in 5 different calibers and they ALL will shoot the barnes into 1 inch or less at 100 yards. For those who can't seem to get them to group try using the Lee Factory Crimp Die along with playing with the seating depth also.