Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets which gives you the poorest accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
My first Barnes X experience was with a 22-250. They would not shoot less than 3" at 100 yards with any recipe.

Interestingly, this thread started in 2002. In 2003 was when I tried the TSX. Night-day difference. TSX and TTSX have performed as well or better than any other bullet I've tried in terms of accuracy.

Other than the one rifle Barnes X experience, I have to put the overall worse bullets I've tried as the Hornady 140 BT in .277 and several of the Sierra hunting bullets. My partitions would out shoot the Sierras in multiple applications.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I hunt with Barnes TSX and now TTSX mostly.

They are the ones that shoot the worst for me though on average. I generally get 3 inches at 100 yards but have had a couple rifles that will do 1 1/2".

I have two rifles that shoot the TTSX fine, my 25-06 likes 80 Grain TTSX's at 3690 fps. I get about 4" groups at 300 yards. My 223 WSSM does the same with 53 TTSX's at 3790.

All my 30 cals shoot about 2.5- 3" at 100 with 130 TTSX's. My sons 30-06 will cloverleaf 150 Sierra GK's at 100 yards.

I had a 375 H-H that shot well with Barnes TSX's and a 338 that shot X's well.

I have had the biggest trouble with Barnes X's of any flavor in 308" 30-06, 300WSM, 300 win mag, 300 Ultra. I generally get them to about 3" at 100 yards messing around with seating depth and just reserve them for 150 yards or less.

For my hunting I like Barnes X bullets the best. I like the penetration and the lack of bloodshot meat. I have noticed shot bloodshot with that 25-06 load though.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Barnes bullets represent both the best and the worst groups I have ever gotton out of my hunting guns. I tried the 45 and 53gr for my .223 and they were horrible. Average grouping was somthing like 10-15inches at 150yds. Never shot any other bullet with that poor of accuracy. Now the best grouping I have ever got was with 130gr, out of my brothers 30-06. With H4350 they would consistantly shoot one raged hole at 100yds.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't worship at any magic bullet alter. I've had several "sets" of rifles, same make, same calibre, etc that would require two different bullets to do their best work.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 Barnes x and I really wanted them to shoot well too. Lead cores give or crush into the rifling but the solid cores don't so the rifling does not get as good a bite. The newer style Barnes with the ribbing may offer more give laterally but have not tried them.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote