New
Find
Notify
Tools

pressure build up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm reloading for 300 savage model 99. My question is how much of the bullet can I seat into the brass without causing pressure build up??? I tried some remington corelokts and winchester silver tips but to get the seating depth I'm almost at 1/2 inch into the brass. I have read normally the size of the bullet(308) you can seat into the brass without pressure build up. I'm at the max seating to lands. this is not my rifle the gentleman insist that he wants these bullets loaded. I think these bullets is too much into the brass. I guessing here.

Posts: 114 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a ton of 150s and 165s corlokts and silver tips in a model 99 300sav.

Always seated them so they worked through the mag.

But then I never shot max loads out of her.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
technically, any time you reduce the OAL by increasing seating depth, you are reducing volume, and with the same charge, that will increase pressure over the longer COAL. most reloading books have the COAL listed in the info - and it's usually SAAMI/CIP MINUS a little

how much? who knows, unless you did a quickload study or sent the loads off to be pressure tested

practically, you want the bullets to both fit the chamber and fit the mag

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you notice the books showing 2.56 to 2.60 inches for the oal?

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick to COAL from the manuals and you should have no problems, the 99 will safely fire any factory loaded 308 round including the 200 grain loads, if handloading proceed slowly as with any other rifle and caliber.
BB

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I hope you are not loading ammo for someone else, and especially not charging money for it. This is a very dangerous thing to do.
As for loading; follow the manual. They have already allowed for seating depth and weight, for every brand of bullet listed.

Posts: 17126 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 99 is a different ballgame that even the experts that write the loading books don't understand and won't admit.

First off due to the brass rotor you must seat the bullet to function in the 99 and 1903 MS btw, then your max loads are most assuredly two grs below book max for several reasons. The first and last suggestion when you fire a load and the lever drops a tad, you know the load needs to be cut by one or two grs.Use a powder that leaves room for the bullets you choose, I recommend 748 or H414 for less pressure and max loading..The 99 lends itself to 150 gr bullets and if you need more penetration such as on elk use a 150 gr Barnes TSX, no need for more. I'm referencing the 308 or 300 Savage, but applies to all Savage 99 calibers with the variance to caliber and loads.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't specify what bullet weights that you are using but I measured some Rem. factory loaded ammo and this is what I got

150 PSP 180 RN

2,567 2.519
2.568 2.519
2.567 2.523
2.567 2.517
2.567 2.523

Of course these have lead tips and have been bumped around over the years.

And yes, just about any bullet loaded into a .300 Savage case will enter the powder space.

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As dpcd said, you are in dangerous territory, legally, and should tell your buddy you can't do it.

If he pleads with you, tell him you can only do it with bullets you select and the most basic loads, esp. if you are not watching for pressure while working them up yourself.

Though I've wondered about gas pressing around a bullet instead of behind it, there is apparently no real danger in having it protrude into the powder space, except that limiting the capacity means the manual base loads may not be low enough.

Posts: 4970 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies, SAMBARMAN 338 Thats what I did I told him in a polite way that he has to get somebody else to reload for him or go with my choices. He did agree with me. Now he is looking for some 180 grain round nose bullets.

Posts: 114 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To all who replied. I do go by the manuals to reload. I have never go beyond MAX. I have never used max powder in my rifles, or anybody else. I like to shoot to much. But I didn't know how much of the bullet I could seat into the brass without causing excess pressure, That's why came here to find the answer. and I did.

Again Thank you.