New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flash hole deburring - first time
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Although I've been reloading centerfire rifle ammo for at least twenty five years, tonight I did something I've never done before: I deburred the flash holes on a bag of 50 new Winchester .270 cases.

Just a few days ago I got the Deluxe Flash Hole Deburring Tool from Midway ($18), and this was my first use of it. I found that, after I figured out how to adjust it to fit these cases, it worked well. I also found that each case did yield some metal cuttings, so something was happening when I deburred them; I kept turning the tool until I could feel that there was no resistance to its turning in the flash hole and thus no more cutting going on.

I won't know whether or not this increases accuracy until I load and shoot these cases, but I figure that anything done to make cases more uniform can only help. The whole operation -- adjusting and learning to use the tool, plus deburring 50 new cases -- took about half an hour.

Maybe I should get Midway's Primer Pocket Uniformer and use that too. I do use the Lee Primer Pocket cleaning tool; I put it in an electric drill and quickly ream the primer pocket of every fired case before I reprime it.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
consistency & uniformity is the answer LE270.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Yes, both will help when you are looking for bugholes. On "hunting" rifles it may help as will sorting cases by weight, turn the necks to a uniform thickness, etc... Then you can weight all your bullets and segragate them, weight every powder charge....

It goes on and on. Have FUN!

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member

America, Love it or LEAVE IT!

[This message has been edited by mssmagnum (edited 11-20-2001).]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote