The Accurate Reloading Forums
Flash hole deburring - first time

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/32010845

20 November 2001, 13:33
LE270
Flash hole deburring - first time
Although I've been reloading centerfire rifle ammo for at least twenty five years, tonight I did something I've never done before: I deburred the flash holes on a bag of 50 new Winchester .270 cases.

Just a few days ago I got the Deluxe Flash Hole Deburring Tool from Midway ($18), and this was my first use of it. I found that, after I figured out how to adjust it to fit these cases, it worked well. I also found that each case did yield some metal cuttings, so something was happening when I deburred them; I kept turning the tool until I could feel that there was no resistance to its turning in the flash hole and thus no more cutting going on.

I won't know whether or not this increases accuracy until I load and shoot these cases, but I figure that anything done to make cases more uniform can only help. The whole operation -- adjusting and learning to use the tool, plus deburring 50 new cases -- took about half an hour.

Maybe I should get Midway's Primer Pocket Uniformer and use that too. I do use the Lee Primer Pocket cleaning tool; I put it in an electric drill and quickly ream the primer pocket of every fired case before I reprime it.

20 November 2001, 13:41
D Humbarger
consistency & uniformity is the answer LE270.

------------------
NRA Life member

20 November 2001, 13:46
Magnum Mike
Yes, both will help when you are looking for bugholes. On "hunting" rifles it may help as will sorting cases by weight, turn the necks to a uniform thickness, etc... Then you can weight all your bullets and segragate them, weight every powder charge....

It goes on and on. Have FUN!

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member

America, Love it or LEAVE IT!

[This message has been edited by mssmagnum (edited 11-20-2001).]