federal
black hills
nosler

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
The only way to find out is to get a couple of new cases from every brand and measure the water volume after the cases was prepared. The ones with the lowest water capacity will be the thichest brass. Maybe somebody allready did the tests.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
cummins cowboy,

Hopefully someone has measured them all to answer your question. I've always considered Win, Hornady, and Nosler to be about the same w/ Rem being alittle thicker and Federal being the thickest. I may be wrong but Norma seems thinner than all of them on the list but, I don't know how it compares to Blackhills. Blackhills is the only one from the list I don't have experience with.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
reason I am asking is I have a 22-250 load that is deadly accurate, however its on the ragged edge of being too hot, I will prolly need some new brass and the last thing I want to do is get thicker brass than the WW super I have been using. so norma is the thinnest brass of the bunch, can anyone else confirm this??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even if you stay with WW brass, you still need to back off and work back up (their is a lot to lot variance to consider).
Chronograph your current load, change brands of brass and, drop the charge weight, work back up to the velocities you were getting with your older brass.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It may also vary from cartridge to cartridge. WW 22-250 may be diff. in relation to WW 06. At least in .30-06 & .308 I have found Norma a bit soft compared to WW.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a ball micrometer and measure them. And you have left off the best brass made which is Lapua.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Get a ball micrometer and measure them. And you have left off the best brass made which is Lapua.

yeah but they only make select calibers, that just so happen to be the ones I don't normally shoot

One of Us
Picture of Jennerwein
posted Hide Post
As far as my experience (< measurements) goes, Lapua and RWS would rank on top - also pricewise.

Posts: 53 | Location: Marin County, CA | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jennerwein:
As far as my experience (< measurements) goes, Lapua and RWS would rank on top - also pricewise.

Lapua & RWS are tops but not available in .22-250. You may want to give the Nosler brass a try. I don't know who makes it but I am willing to give a box a try.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to make a component change on a load that you have proven to be "deadly accurate" in your rifle?
I`d do what I could to stay with the same brand components if possible.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
I was wondering how different makes of brass compare to each other in thickness

ranke these

Remington
winchester
Hornady
Norma
federal
black hills
nosler

According to the book Metallic Cartridge Reloading, 3rd edition:

"With a standard 52 grain bullet, seated normally, usuable case capacity is ~42.5 grains of water." What do yours measure?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
From my experience with a 22-250 I would recommend the Winchester brass as far as capacity in the medium price range.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey cc

By weight, which should be an indication of powder capacity, 30-06 new brass weighs approximately the following:

Nosler - 201.5
Remington - 199
Lapua - 198
Norma - 181.8
WW - 181.5

IME, the Norma brass does hold more powder than the Nosler and about the same as WW. I have had neck splits with WW and have never had any kind of problem with Norma. Norma is much more finished and consistant with drilled flash holes and fewer bent cases in a new box. However, Norma is much more expensive.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote