Find
Notify
Tools

Electric powder dispensers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen

I have the Pact set up and it worked fine with Varget, but wouldn't work worth a damn with Win 748.
I picked up an older version of the Lyman 1200, do any of you out there know if it will work well with the Ball type powders?
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't you answer your own question by dumping that W748 into the Lyman 1200? Just curious why you would value some other's opinion over your own empirical testing?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman 1200. I have no complaints about the Lyman. I do find that what you call a load ie 67.8 on the Lyman is often 67.9 on a beam scale. Some powders due to their characteristics just meter better than others. I don't think it is just your scale.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I have a Lyman 1200. I have no complaints about the Lyman. thumb **** .

**** except it is a little slow. roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Can't you answer your own question by dumping that W748 into the Lyman 1200? Just curious why you would value some other's opinion over your own empirical testing?

I would like to know from others who have used ball powders because the screwing around you have to do to get the Pact system back to "normal" is a large pain in the ass and I have heard that removing powder for a powder change with the Lyman can also be some what laborious, so if the Lyman 1200 doesn't run real well with 748 powder, I won't have to bother with my own empirical testing. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Removing powder from the Lyman is far from "laborious".

You just can't turn the Lyman upside down and dump the powder out.
I have owned the Lyman for 4-5 years and it has always been accurate and reliable. Removing the powder is just different than other powder measurers.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently someone named "TB" at bigb00mer308@gmail.com took umbrage to my answer:

quote:

arent we a smart ass piece of shit?

That's what happens when you include your e-mail addy in your AR profile!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The older Lyman DPS 1200 and DPS 2 were slow and harder to dump the powder, but the latest DPS 3 is much faster and real easy to dump the powder. It also works fine with ball powders, the older versions didn't.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
quote:

I would like to know from others who have used ball powders because the screwing around you have to do to get the Pact system back to "normal" is a large pain in the ass and I have heard that removing powder for a powder change with the Lyman can also be some what laborious, so if the Lyman 1200 doesn't run real well with 748 powder, I won't have to bother with my own empirical testing. FS

I find it fascinating that you don’t have the curiosity to use the Lyman unit and form your own opinion, which I would think, would have precedents over other people’s opinions.

Interesting indeed. bewildered I find it interesting that some people have no time in their life to experiment.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the archaic AMT Autoscale which is essentially two power tricklers built into a housing for an Ohaus beam. It is specifically recommended only for extruded powders.
Since I don't use a lot of ball powders it didn't hurt my feelings since I get good performance from an RCBS measure with ball powders -----especially when I use the small cylinder for all ball powder charges. For me the auto dispensers are an answer to fast dispensing of extruded powders. Dispensing ball powders was never a problem.
I do remember that my hand trickler was slow with ball powders.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have the rcbs/pact (thanks rusty) that i sent back to pact for the "rebuild" .. the dispenser is 10x faster .. if you calibrate it, it works great... h335/748/760/ball powders ... excellent, if sluggish, compared to a manual thrower

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso, What is the "rebuild" you are referring to? I was given the RCBS "set" years ago and could NEVER get them to work.
This week I ordered an RCBS neck expander to load some cast bullets in my 416 Taylor and the tech gave me some --non printed instructions--to get the scale to calibrate and it finally worked. Now I'm interested in getting the dispenser to work. Any info would be appreciated.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the older model 1200 and I think it's the greatest thing since bottled beer. For you moderns that have things to do and places to be, you may THINK it's slow but try using a bowl of powder and a spoon along with a balance beam scale for about 40 years before deciding its slow. Big Grin
I do not find the set-up nor take down tedious and the weights shown on the scale proof well against a Ohaus 10-10 so that's good enough for me. Mine works well with ball and extruded powders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used extensively two of the older Lyman Autoscale electronic dispensors for years. I keep powders I use weekly in them, RL-22 in one and H-1000 in the other. I also use the original DPS 1200 that I updated with the kit that speeds up the process by 50%. In this I program loads of many powders often used. I also have the 1500 Electronic scale with the trickler. This I use to play with new loads and when established, program them into the 1200. I wouldn't do without any leg of the system. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
alvin,
sent you a PM

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
People who go to digital dumpsters for "speed" arem't using their conventional measures, scales and tricklers correctly. IMHO. Smiler

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why one would use the electronic dispenser with ball powder. I have the Pact but only use it for the long stick extruded powders. The ball and shortcut powders dump so accuratley thru the powder measure, and is much faster.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YUMAN:
I don't know why one would use the electronic dispenser with ball powder. I have the Pact but only use it for the long stick extruded powders. The ball and shortcut powders dump so accuratley thru the powder measure, and is much faster.
Lyle

Well then may just have to get me a powder measure instead, thanks FS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best of both worlds would be to have both as dropping loads of 4350 through a measure can be a chore. Especially if one is working up a load(s) and wants his weights to be precise. However, nothing is faster than dumping ball powder thru a well regulated measure when one is going Pdog shooting and you only have to weigh every fifth or tenth drop.

FWIW, if you have neither, I would get a good balance beam scale, ie, Ohaus 10-10. All things electric can fail and while I don't do it everytime, quite often, when I set up my 1200, I proof the first few loads from the 1200 against the 10-10.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never been without a powder measure. Right now I have three, a RCBS, A Redding , and an old Pacific. Dropping 3.5 Gr of unique with an electronic dispenser would be a long slow process slow.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
why does everyone this this is an either or situation?

on my reloading bench, there could be one of 5 powder manipulation tools, each with their place
lyman 55
hornady LNL press with detachable powder thrower (amazingly accurate(
dillion SDB press
lee scoops to be WEIGHED

though i've shot many "2s" grops, and my wife, with the same rifle, shots "1s" with scooped loads in a 222.

when i want EXACTLY the same weight for load dev, i now like using my rcbs/pact -- it used to be i would set my lyman and measure then trickle ..

it ALL works

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Gentlemen

I have the Pact set up and it worked fine with Varget, but wouldn't work worth a damn with Win 748.
I picked up an older version of the Lyman 1200, do any of you out there know if it will work well with the Ball type powders?
Thanks Greg

My Lyman 1200 worked really well with Win 748. Sometimes I had problems with Varget. I thought it was the powder shape.
Now I think it was my cell phone affecting the scale.
The other thing which appears to be a problem with accuracy of the 1200 is the quality of the power supply.
If the power supply is variable I think that can be a problem.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT !! Have a cell phone anywhere near your electronic powder scale. An incomming text or call will throw my RCBS scale off by 10 grains or more.

One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YUMAN:
Lyle

I use my Chargemaster to dispense the ball powder when loading on a single stage because by the time I seat my bullet the powder charge has been thrown, trickles and is ready to go for the next round. I'm not sure if the Pact is that much slower than the RCBS Chargemaster or not but I know the RCBS is pretty quick.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have not found one that works faster than I can charge my cases, even with long stick powder.

I use a method not sure many of you use.

I was loading 150 rounds of our 375/404 the other day, for our next safari.

The load uses 90 grains of H4350.
I set the Redding measure to drop that charge, then charged 149 cases with powder from the measure.

I left one empty, so I can charge it with the precise amount.

I empty each case onto an RCBS electronic scale, if it is 90 grains, then I put that powder in the empty case. Now I have another one empty, and so on.

The cases I have filled from the powder measure might vary by a up to 2 grains, so I adjust that on the scale. I would say about 30-40% of them would have the right amount of powder.

I know this sounds as quite complicated, but I can actually do it faster than one of those electronic gadgets.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have not found one that works faster than I can charge my cases, even with long stick powder.

I use a method not sure many of you use.

I was loading 150 rounds of our 375/404 the other day, for our next safari.

The load uses 90 grains of H4350.
I set the Redding measure to drop that charge, then charged 149 cases with powder from the measure.

I left one empty, so I can charge it with the precise amount.

I empty each case onto an RCBS electronic scale, if it is 90 grains, then I put that powder in the empty case. Now I have another one empty, and so on.

The cases I have filled from the powder measure might vary by a up to 2 grains, so I adjust that on the scale. I would say about 30-40% of them would have the right amount of powder.

I know this sounds as quite complicated, but I can actually do it faster than one of those electronic gadgets.

Curiosity got me on this one. I just tried a 90 gr charge of H4350 in my Chargemaster, it took 17 seconds to drop the charge, trickle it, and beep that it was stabilized. If you do like I do you would have seated your bullet on the first load while waiting for the Chargemaster so with 90 grs you would be waiting 5 seconds to the most. Seems quite a bit quicker than powder droppping, dumping into a scale, trickling, pouring back into a case.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
You can always reprogram your Chargemaster to be a little faster if you like. I don’t know if you can do that with the others or not.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I have a question: With a load a great as 90grains of powder, if it was off 2 grains, what difference would it make? Especially in a hunting cartridge?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Who makes the Chargemaster?

I have not tried this, and if it is as good as it is suggested here I would like to try it.

Under hunting conditions, 2 grains might not make that much of a difference.

But, having learned over the years that we try to eliminate as many variables as we can, I like to have my loads with the same charge. Especially as my rifles shoot extremely well. I have two rifles for this caliber, and both still shoot cloverleaves. Comes in very handy when I have to shoot a croc in the brain at over 200 yards.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stillbeeman ----- Only a good Chronograph will tell you that, or lots of shooting with all loads precisely measured. For instance, load 20 rounds at 90 grains, shoot them and record POI. Load 20 round at 92 grains and repeat the process. Then you can see where the difference may be, then decide if it is close enough for hunting, as you state. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Chargemaster is made by RCBS. Over the years I have fell for each new gimmick offered and have been disappointed with most. The Chargemaster is the real deal and works very well.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
quote:

The Chargemaster is made by RCBS. Over the years I have fell for each new gimmick offered and have been disappointed with most. The Chargemaster is the real deal and works very well.

thumb I've had my Chargemaster for over 3 yrs now, if anything happens to it I'll be replacing it for sure. I use it for anything I don't load on a progressive. I still have my Uniflow and trickler but lets just say they're getting a little dusty now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My RCBS Chargemaster/Combo came the other day, haven't used it yet, still can't help but notice the "Made in China" label...r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Pack set up and have never tried to dispense ball powder. All my powder measures throw very consistent charges with ball powder. My Dillon is usually within one-tenth grain or less.
The only problem was with 296. My old Dillon came with a warning not to use 296 in the powder measure. I had a bunch of 44mag to load and decided that I knew better than Dillon. Well in about 15 rounds the measure jammed and I had to take it apart and scrub out the gummed up innards. I wish I had had the new powder drop die that lets you mount a standard powder measure on the Dillon.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:
My RCBS Chargemaster/Combo came the other day, haven't used it yet, still can't help but notice the
"Made in China" label...r in s.

That's disgraceful. But what can you do? I ordered a replacement knock-off alloy wheel for the All-American sports car...Vette...and it arrived with the same thing "Made in China" cast on the interior in letters so large it made me think they were bragging. It's sickening, really.

I pray this doesn't offend any of our commie chinese AR members.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
quote:

I can’t remember the name of the company now but it’s a Taiwan based scale company that makes the RCBS ChargeMaster in one of their China factories. I visited their website a number of years ago and at the time they made all kinds of commercial scales including laboratory and supermarket deli type scales. Chances are if you bought anything at the deli in your local supermarket it was weighed on one of their scales and it was made in China.

As far as the ChargeMaster being the “real deal”? thumb Yes it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give it a rest Phurley. I have a Chrony and I have some highly accurate hunting rifles. I don't have any cartridges that require 90grs of powder however nor do we have crocs in TN. Other than that, I'd say it would take some very precise shooting in a Bench Rest set up to determine which magnum cartridge had 2+/- grains of powder in it.
I haven't any problem with someone wanting to be as precise as possible when they are building their ammo. I'm pretty anal myself but the retorical question was asked to point out that in all probability, it doesn't. IMO Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I have not tried this, and if it is as good as it is suggested here I would like to try it.

Under hunting conditions, 2 grains might not make that much of a difference.

But, having learned over the years that we try to eliminate as many variables as we can, I like to have my loads with the same charge. Especially as my rifles shoot extremely well. I have two rifles for this caliber, and both still shoot cloverleaves. Comes in very handy when I have to shoot a croc in the brain at over 200 yards.

The rcbs chargemaster is fast, accurate, and easy to use. You could get an additional powder pan and as you dump one charge into the case the other pan is being filled.

In the process of loading rounds for upcoming Plains game hunt in Namibia. Will be loading up 100 ea of 375H&H and 300 Jarrett.

The powder charging is fast and precise, as the pan is being filled I am moving the charged case to another loading block and putting the funnel on the next case to be charged.

The chargemaster keeps up with my sequence and you can charge 3-4 cases per minute.

The unit has an electronic keyboard that is easy to use has worked great in the short time I have owned it. You can keep up to 30 loads in the programmable unit that lists all most used recipes.

Or just

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:
My RCBS Chargemaster/Combo came the other day, haven't used it yet, still can't help but notice the
"Made in China" label...r in s.

That's disgraceful. But what can you do? I ordered a replacement knock-off alloy wheel for the All-American sports car...Vette...and it arrived with the same thing "Made in China" cast on the interior in letters so large it made me think they were bragging. It's sickening, really.

I pray this doesn't offend any of our commie chinese AR members.

With the Chinese holding a large portion of our debt, I'am afraid the trend is going to continue.

A lot of GM parts and assembly is being done in Mexico, and BMW's and Toyota's are being built in America.

Hard to buy just America, except for Searcy Double Rifles.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470drshooter:
With the Chinese holding a large portion of our debt, I'am afraid the trend is going to continue.

Where were Chargemasters made before RCBS sent production to china?