Notify
Tools

Electric powder dispensers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
Now I have a question: With a load a great as 90grains of powder, if it was off 2 grains, what difference would it make? Especially in a hunting cartridge?
It depends on how far out we are shooting and if the very Best Harmonic is located at 89gr, 91gr, or somewhere else.

If the Best Harmonic is located at 91gr then we are off +/-1gr and it would be difficult to tell a difference.

If the Best Harmonic is at 89gr, then we can be off by +3gr and most of us could probably tell a difference at longer distances.

The Powders I typically use in that quantity are on the Slow end of the Powder Burn Rate Scale and seem much more forgiving than the Faster Burning Powders in this regard.
-----

Or, this could be simplified to - PHurley, speaking from a whole lot of first-hand experience is "right as usual".

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed: "know this sounds as quite complicated, but I can actually do it faster than one of those electronic gadgets."

I agree. I'm fasinated by those who are fasinated with digital dumpsters. It puzzles me that so many think they are so "fast".

It can't be very fast IF they include the time to change powders, set the thing up for a given charge, allow it to warm up, zero and tare for the pan, then hope the line voltage and zero doesn't drift nor any stray electrical fields interfere during work as they finally get under way. I can load my Redding measure, drop, trickle and charge about thirty precise rounds during the time it takes them to get started!

Is a standard system slow? Perhaps the most common failures for most folks is improper placement of their measure, trickler, scale for a smooth and easy work path. But that's not a fault of a common measure, is it?

Seems to me that a digital system has some merit ... for those who weigh charges for large numbers of "spray and pray" semi-suto ammo. I don't do that and many of those who use the magic time savers don't either. So...?

If I DID do large volumes of anything I would use ball powders that can be quite accurately dispensed from a conventional measure without weighing!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
Saeed: "know this sounds as quite complicated, but I can actually do it faster than one of those electronic gadgets."

I agree. I'm fasinated by those who are fasinated with digital dumpsters. It puzzles me that so many think they are so "fast".

It can't be very fast IF they include the time to change powders, set the thing up for a given charge, allow it to warm up, zero and tare for the pan, then hope the line voltage and zero doesn't drift nor any stray electrical fields interfere during work as they finally get under way. I can load my Redding measure, drop, trickle and charge about thirty precise rounds during the time it takes them to get started!

Is a standard system slow? Perhaps the most common failures for most folks is improper placement of their measure, trickler, scale for a smooth and easy work path. But that's not a fault of a common measure, is it?

Seems to me that a digital system has some merit ... for those who weigh charges for large numbers of "spray and pray" semi-suto ammo. I don't do that and many of those who use the magic time savers don't either. So...?

If I DID do large volumes of anything I would use ball powders that can be quite accurately dispensed from a conventional measure without weighing!

Changing a Chargemaster from one powder to another requires putting your powder bottle under the chute and rotating it open, allow it to drain and then close the shoot. To set up for the next powder you pop the cover and pour your new powder in, no fiddling at all.

The electronic dispensers are no good for spray and pray type ammo, you would use a progressive press with a standard drop type measure.

You say it's not fast but it appears you've never tried one or really done any research on one either. It's quicker because while the electronic dispenser is dropping and trickling a charge you are seating your bullet in the cartridge you poured your last charge into, by the time your bullet is seated your next charge is completely dropped and trickled, the electronic dispenser is incredibly precise hardly a poke and hope system as you would have others believe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HC, what weapons do you shoot that use 90 grains of powder? You understand that 2 grains of powder represents 0.022222 percent of the load. That does it for me. I ain't getting in no long, drawn out, tedious argument with you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've never thought of the electronic powder despensers in terms of being faster. I don't reload for speed. I still use single stage presses for all my reloading. And I do not seat my bullets while the next charge is dropping. I still like to fill a tray of charged cases and look at them under a stong light to ascertain that they look to be the same level before I seat the bullets.
I find it very handy when I am working up a load for a rifle to be able to move up or down a powder series by pressing a couple of buttons.
Actually I like having both on my bench and they both have their place. Hell, I still reload some stuff with a Lee Loader. Don't forget that until the micro electronic scales and such were developed, Bench Rest shooters didn't weigh their charges. They dropped them from a measure or used dippers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
steelbeeman ----- I don't know about Hot Core but the chambering I use 90 grains of powder for are my two .358 STA's, or my .338 Lapua and .340 Wby. Each rifle has it's own personality, one might be affected 1-2 inchs as to POI, while another only .5 to .75 inchs to nil. In order to determine that you need to shoot more than one or two groups, accidental groups happen, either caused by the shooter, or rifle (heat-cold-rest etc). The larger the data the better judge of the load. The barrel harmonics as explained by Hot Core are everything, and many things change that. Both my STA's have muzzle brakes. On one of them a very small looseness of the brake can change my POI up to 8-10 inchs. By the same token more or less powder can do the same thing. Bottom line, nothing takes the place of shooting and more shooting under controled conditions and well documented to determine what affects your rifle. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...0.022222 percent of the load. ...I ain't getting in no long, drawn out, tedious argument with you.
I believe you accidentally forgot to multiply by 100 and it would actually be 2.2%. You know it has to be more than 2% because 2 is 2% of 100.(That is not intended as mean-spirited, just a Math observation technique.)

I agree, I've no desire to argue either. Especially when I saw you think a 22cal is fine for Deer in a different thread fiasco.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HC, you have never, ever seen me endore a 22 for deer hunting. Of any sort. When I lived in WV, I said a lot of the locals used them.
I'll take your word for the math.
And I don't know where we come up with the idea that his is my first rodeo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dixie:
quote:
You say it's not fast but it appears you've never tried one or really done any research on one either. It's quicker because while the electronic dispenser is dropping and trickling a charge you are seating your bullet in the cartridge you poured your last charge into

I didn't say it's not "fast", appearant speed seems to be relative to what one can accomplish otherwise. I did indicate that they don't seem fast to me.

My work methods seem to be faster than many others. I just learned to reload, efficently, in a different era I suppose.

It appears that you believe that IF I just did my homework, I would agree with you? Not quite. And (surprise?) not everyone who shoots 9mm/.223 reloads on a progressive!

As a retired electronic instrument repair and calibration tech, I do feel I'm competent to make a few judgements on the current crop of very simple electonic scales. And I have used ONE of those magical digital dumpsters, a short while, and that was enough to demonstrate that their weaknesses are pretty much as I had expected.

Hope you remain as happy with your digital system as I am with my beam/measure/trickler.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
You can change the default codes on your ChargeMaster. It will throw a charge much faster.

Changing the codes may void your warranty (I don't know) if your machine is still under warranty.

There is no default-reset, it’s all manual.

You better know what you’re doing before entering the program mode.

You can speed it up and it will work great for a particulate type of powder but may not work will with another type of powder. You need to think about it before changing the default setting.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If speed is a big deal buy two powder dispensers.
Set both to the same charge and fill a case while the other dispenser is running.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HC, you have never, ever seen me endore a 22 for deer hunting. Of any sort....
Hey Stillbeeman, You are 100% correct, I got that ALL WRONG! You are totally right, that I've not seen you endorse a 22cal for Deer Hunting.

That is about as low a thing as a man can do on the Board - accuse a fellow of being so inept that he would Hunt Deer with a 22cal. Falls in line with Voting for a democrat - pitiful!

Thank you for correcting that HUGE ERROR on my part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
aliveincc, I have an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 that has been sent back whole and in pieces a half dozen times. Bad keypads on the dispenser were the majority of the problems but both units had their problems. RCBC finally replaced the entire chargemaster (again) a few month back and so far it runs great. Did not appreciate all the fuss but do appreciate RCBS making it right.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any of you that have had problems with the chargemaster , were the problems right away or did they develope later. just trying to figure out if they're problematic due to breaking down.
I just recently obtained one that appears to be working perfectly but now I'm expecting the worse later.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smokeeter:
any of you that have had problems with the chargemaster , were the problems right away or did they develope later. just trying to figure out if they're problematic due to breaking down.
I just recently obtained one that appears to be working perfectly but now I'm expecting the worse later.

I had trouble with the first one I owned within 10 months. The keyboard on the dispenser got all messed up. Sent it back to RCBS and they sent me a new one. That was around 2 years ago and I haven’t had any trouble with this one.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DIXIEDOG:
Changing a Chargemaster from one powder to another requires putting your powder bottle under the chute and rotating it open, allow it to drain and then close the shoot. To set up for the next powder you pop the cover and pour your new powder in, no fiddling at all.

Actually it takes more than just "putting your powder bottle under the chute and rotating it open, allow it to drain and then close the shoot." Powder remains in the dispensor pipe/tube and you need to hit "Dispense" to allow the Chargemaster to run the remaining powder out of the tube.

Lastly, remember to rotate the drain chute to the closed position before putting in your new powder. Been there, done that. homer

That said, I love the Chargemaster and only question why it took me so long to buy one! dancing

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I run a Chargemaster for rifle cartridges & a Uniflow for pistol.
I'll have the opportunity to try out The Lee Pro Auto Disk measure whilst I'm in TX in a few weeks time.
The Chargemaster definitely makes single stage loading a less intense task & works with stick powders far better than the Uniflow.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me the problems were early on, even replacement key pads were bad, but mine is working good now.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote